De-pinning

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Rkep01, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

There are several different methods to de-pin scales. What method do you use to de-pin the scales on a razor you are restoring? Do you use different methods based on the condition of the razor?

Karl G likes this.
  2. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I use a small fine file to remove just the peen if I’m wanting to try and save the washers if possible. It’s a little tedious but I’ve had pretty good success doing it this way.

Karl G, Rkep01 and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's what I do, too. :)

Karl G, Paul76 and Rkep01 like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I kinda looked at this seriously about a year ago and this is what I found to be true for me

About 90% I pop with a pair of Polished Flush Cutters
    About 9% I pop with a gentle careful application of a fine file (Pins without Washers)
    About 1% I use a Jewelers saw from the inside out (MOP, Ivory)

5. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Above or below the washer, Glen?

Karl G likes this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I think I understand what you are asking, but I am not sure I have paid that much attention to it when clipping the pins, I think it is more often that they catch under the washer than over..

I should also stress that the cutters are highly polished on the bottom, so that they leave near zero marks on the scales..

Karl G likes this.
  7. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Karl G likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, now I have another tool i can use, gleaned from you. Jewelers saw. I ordered one earlier. Some of my pins are super tough to remove.

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Yeah they are not that expensive on eBay and we don't really need high quality ones :)

I think I paid like $12 shipped with a ton of blades,, It has more than paid for itself over the years :D

One of these for those wondering, the blades are super thin and slip between the scales and tang to cut the pin

[​IMG]

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thats what I ordered, but just ordered the thinnest blades available, not the large variety. All totaled $12, with a dozen 8/0 blades.

gssixgun likes this.