Talk me into a single edge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leclec13, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I am primarily a straight razor guy, But still love ❤️ DE especially vintage Gillette old style.
    I not closed minded to trying new razors, I have a slant, and a few modern DE’s , shavette, modern handles.....
    I have been reading up on SE and still do not quite understand the attraction.
    I am not yet sold on them
    I don’t see the mechanical or economical advantage, limited choice of dedicated single edge razor blades, nothing revolutionary,...... is it just 1/2 a DE........
    Is appears to be shaving niche, that I am open to
    shaving toys are shaving toys.....playing/ Experimenting is inevitable. ( like that one time in college)
    Pretty sure I would start with one that uses 1/2 DE blades since I have a cache of them.

Talk me into a single edge razor/ shave.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    RyX, Frijolero, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you're primarily a straight razor guy, then you are already well acquainted with 'niche' shaving.
    SEs provide simply another means of acquiring a close shave. These razors have their die-hard adherents who claim SE shave are either better or (fill-in rational for choosing SE razors over other means HERE). As with most other processes (DE, straights, carts), one can find pros and cons. There is no one method or tool that fits everyone's needs.
    I've used carts for many, many years. Made the switch to DE and never went back to carts. Tried SE razors for a short while—and never really found any advantage over DE shaving.
    Switched to SRs a number of years ago and never looked back (although I occasionally work in a DE shave).

RECOMMENDED WAY: Get an SE razor and try it out. Rather than have others persuade or dissuade you, you can experience the razor firsthand and make an educated decision based upon your own personal use.

MR41, Keithmax, brit and 7 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just do it. All the cool kids are and you want to be cool, don't you?!

Keithmax, brit, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

The blades are much thicker than DE blades, so the experience is not akin to 1/2 of a DE blade. I use injectors or SEs every day. Ditched DE razors a long time ago without regret. SE razors worked better for me in the long run.

Are you interested in newer SE razors that use Artist Club blades? The Hawk and Mongoose are examples of that razor. Or are you interested in the older SE razors? The GEM razors are a good representation of that category.

Tons of knowledge here on TSD for every niche of shaving.

Keithmax, Hembree, Leclec13 and 4 others like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I just recently switched from DE Razors to SE Razors, with NO Regrets!

Even with my limited experience, as a wet shaver, I was immediately drawn to the SEs. I have been using a few different GEM Razors, around $20 to $25 each, in really nice condition and a Schick Injector L1, that was gifted to me and I love them all. Shaves are very smooth and close. I am amazed at the quality and efficiency of these 60 to 100 year old razors. I say give them an honest try, you will not be disappointed.

Keithmax, Hembree, Leclec13 and 3 others like this.
  6. Leclec13

please i want to be a cool kid... please.... I am jumping in, just waiting for more......... peer pressure

modern yes

not interested in artist club blades/ cartridges, nor gem (box cutter)..... maybe in future

i want to try razor that uses 1/2 DE blades

why do i feel like i'm slipping into another rabbit hole.......

Keithmax, Hembree, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm not aware of an SE razor that uses 1/2 DE blades. There is probably one out there but we'll have to defer to those with more knowledge.

@wchnu @Linuxguile @clint64 @Bird Lives @ordinaryshaver - perhaps these guys can offer some more advice.

Also, join us in the Injector and SE Party thread!

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Depends on the SE ..... I've tried, and I do mean REALLY tried to like Schick, but finally came to point of blaming the blades not the razor. In the same injector, I'd have a great blade and five duds ... very inconsistent.

Now that said I haven't tried the Gem / Ever Ready style razors, but will some day.

This all said, try them they're very easy to find and extremely affordable; you may really like them.

brit, Terry, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Although it looks like it's only 1/2 a DE razor, not really. The double edge blade is thinner than a single edge blade. Also the razors have a different slant or angle on some compared to a DE.
    I tried a Gem Junior with an appropriate blade Personna Gem blade. It is a different shave, at least to me. I now have tried a few SE's and found a few that I realy like.
    good luck
    Thanks
    tp

10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll write up lengthy verbose message explaining why SE razors are the only acceptable choice for shaving. How they supersede the other categories of safety razors and live up to the hyperbole that most of us fanatics rave about them.
    (All this was sarcasm)
    I'll do my best to help OP, and see where this goes.

11. Leclec13

i'm looking at rocnel, and focus

i see that comparing dedicated SE blade razors might be comparing apples to oranges

i've seen a few gem's locally and many on line and i look away. trying to avoid that rabbit hole...

12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Problem is, those of us who sing the praises of single edge razors aren't talking about 1/2 DE blades. One of the biggest advantages of Gem and Schick Injector razors is the stiffer blade.

(Bear with me here - my brain refuses to process the not interested in Gem part. Just can't do it. :think002:)

If you want to stick a toe in the water cheap, https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewShaveShop has a Gem pushbutton at the moment for $10, and 10 blades for $3. Skip Starbucks for a day or two and you're good to go. Good deals can be had on ebay too, if you aren't in a hurry. And especially if you're not too concerned with pretty.

Oh, and those are not box cutter blades. They look like them, but the box cutter blades are not for shaving. Bad.

But if you are really hell bent on the 1/2 DE thing, there is exactly one safety razor that I know of - the Focus. thesuperiorshave.com carries them. Just understand that it's not what we think of when you say single edge.

PLAla, Leclec13, johnnyflake and 2 others like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Someone around here has a Focus, and posted their thoughts on it. @Edison Carter maybe?

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The only razor that I know of that uses 1/2 DE blades is the Focus Dynamic.

PLAla, Leclec13 and Frijolero like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Another razor you might consider is the Shake Sharp, it uses DE blades but only presents you with one edge at a time.

PLAla, Leclec13 and Frijolero like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

17. ordinaryshaver

Linuxguile and Leclec13 like this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

@Lellec13 there does seem to be a bit of confusion here. 1stly, most SE razors don't take half of a DE blade. They use a regular blade, that in only akin to paint scraper blades in the same way a Ferrari is akin to a Ford pinto. They look like blades, but are manufactured differently.
    There are a couple of modern SE razors available, and while I don't personally use them quite a few folks do. I hear mixed reviews in them, as well.
    There is a razor called "the lease" that uses half a DE blade for the blade, but it is more of a hybrid between the Cartridge razor and the DE.
    If you truly want to try an SE razor, you may want to look at pheonix shaving for thiers.
    If I can be of any help by way of the video tape razors, just PM and we will see what we can do.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Looking forward to the "verbose message". This is should be interesting.

Terry, PLAla and Frijolero like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I find myself using SE razors most of the time. In fact, I don't think I have used a DE razor this year. I have a bunch of DE razors, and I will be using some of them this year, but I am always drawn back to my SE razors. I also do straights on Saturdays.