What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great news. Congrats. I would suggest getting some inexpensive Vintage razors, and practice on those too. It's very rewarding, when you resurrect a 100-200 year old razor, and use it.

Paul76, Keithmax, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Congratulations. It always feels good to bring a blade back.

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

CFC1FD96-72F4-476D-B748-7CA510A0BA0D.jpeg

Brains.... Brains.... Filly 14 DT fresh off a fine jnat last night, and the soap was MdC original in ‘brain bowl’ lathered with a Simpson 57. A splash of Aqua Balsamica finished up one of my favorite soap/AS combos.

Cheers, Steve

Paul76, Primotenore, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oops, wrong forum....

oscar11 likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I honed this little Genco Henry's X over the weekend. Bevel set on Chosera 1k, Naniwa 5, 8, 12, and finished on a Dan's black Arkansas. This razor's got a bit of a warp and you can see the bevel is a bit uneven but the past couple days shaves from it have been excellent.
    IMG_20190128_130534.jpg

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

upload_2019-1-28_19-20-9.jpeg
    Damascus. Bought it used and it was “shave ready”, but not as sharp as I like. Sharpened it up yesterday, and got only DFS level cutting out of it. Then realized I forgot to strop it after honing. Oops!

7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Boker 101
    Gave her a quick refresh on my Vintage Felsner Ruby Hone .Just used water with a little Tallow Lather .Love the edge this old hone produced.Very smooth and Keen .Kind of like a hybrid Couticle /J-Nat finish .If I were to guess I think this hone is in the 14 K area for finishing capability . rps20190129_110441_343.jpg

8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Did a dripping Thuringian hone today for tomorrow.
    wade.jpg

So, found this in November. I was the only bidder. It was filthy. $10. :)

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Now that’s a great buy.

10. BaylorGator

Filthy is your friend in bidding. More often than not, you can get them looking great with a little elbow grease.

11. DaltonGang

A big Yeppers on that.

12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very unique hone Mike... very cool.

Edison Carter and M14Shooter like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Regilo
    Swedish Steel
    Solingen Germany

This was a little bit of a pain. I set the bevel, and by all appearances and feel, it looked perfect. That is, until It was viewed under the 60x loupe. Small pitting along one section of the bevel. I ended up having to Kill the edge, three times, to get to perfect steel, along the entire length. Without the 60x loupe, I would have shaved, and thought I had just done a bad job at honing. So, onto the stones. It took a little while to get a good edge, because the blade had a minute warp in it, and this swedish steel seems to be hard(Not as hard as a Russian Razor). It really liked the Welsh Slate Stones, and took on a wicked edge with the Arkie Surgical Black.

P1290763.JPG

14. DaltonGang

J.A.Henckels "Twin"
    Solingen Germany

Easy to hone all the way through the Welsh Slate Stones, and Arkansas Surgical Black.

P1290764.JPG

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A couple of customs were on the hones today

A really well-built W&B lookalike from Silverloaf can't say enough good about it, pretty impressive build really
    Came in with a dinger in the edge and even taking that out you could see the quality of the grind Morgan did,, the edge was awesome, tiny and even

Chosera 1-5-10 Smashed Coticule Finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The RigaRazor just needed a bevel reset and honing

Chosera 1-5-10 Zulu Grey with a light slurry dilution for a finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone On !!!

[​IMG]

Paul76, Steve56, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  16. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

I'm never sure if I prefer beating the challenging ones or honing the Razors that are easy. Sounds like a good job done on this one.

Keithmax, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  17. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Beautiful razors - and I can see why they would be sent to you. - wouldn't want someone messing these up.

What drives the choice of stones you use? Are these requested by customers or are you matching progression to razor yourself?

I'm honing for myself only, and I have preferred finishes / progression based on type of steel, but these are just personal preferences.

Keithmax, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  18. BaylorGator

Beautiful!

Karl G, Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Experience with the responses from my customers and the feel of the steel when setting the bevel if I don't know the razor

I keep track of the "WOW" responses from people when they shave the edge, that tells me more than my own personal opinion

There are razors, steels and types of grind, that do not agree with my face, so I go by what my customers have said over the last 12 years and 30,000 plus razors

I also hone to suit, I get quite a few requests for certain finishes on their favorite razors before they buy a certain hone, basically, they get to try a finish done as best as I can do before they drop the coin

20. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Last night, in preparation for todays shave, I did some laps on the Thuringian under dripping water. This is a wonderful razor that I found in nearly new condition for $20.

M. Jung was an importer located in New York. This razor was produced in Germany. Initial honing was performed on 3M lapping films/marble tile using the "Burr Method".

Attached Files:

Edison Carter, TestDepth and Keithmax like this.