February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Somebody mention Arko?

I Love Arko

Thanks for the mention!

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Whilst using a Fatboy.

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Glad you like it! I think the bowl is from the same board as your brush, actually. The lid is from a different piece, as I recall.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So, it's February Favorites, so what's up my sleeve? Why, using my favorite things, of course. I plan on spending a lot of time with Stirling soap this month, although I'll slip a few others in here and there too. As far as razors, look for the Toggle, Fatboy, Fatip and my two newest SE's, the Kampfe Star and 1924 Shovelhead. Blades? All Russian DE and the Treet Super carbon for the SE razors. Brushes? Customs from @Jayaruh and @jtspartan . Can't get much better than that lineup!

February Gear.jpg

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The most worthy focus then.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Four pages and the month has not even started!

This month I will restart my focus on reducing software. First up is a half-finished tub of Crowne and Crane Tobacco Leaf and Amber veggie soap. On the weekends I will pick some of my favorite soaps. My mini focus will be to select a theme for the weeks straight razor. This week's theme is JWest razors and today finish that theme.

Feb 1 shave, kicking it off.

Crowne and Crane kicks off the month and hopefully, this one will fall in February. Wrapping up this week JWest theme is my Nichiri extra hollow noisy shaver. The lather was slick and the edge wonderful.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Nichiri 6/8 ‘Real Japanese Hollow Ground’
    Strop: Drygulch black latigo
    Brush: Rooney
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Crowne and Crane
    AS: Speick AS, L’Occitane ASB
    Scent: Parrum d’ Empire Cuir Ottoman

IMG_6063.jpg

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to the thread!

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

You got it. Feathers are a bit sharp to start with, but it’s your call. A lot of people use something like an Astra SP, which is middle of the road. Honestly, the blade is probably not super critical. When staring out, people give too much credit to the blade affecting things. Kinda like crediting the golf club for a good or bad golf shot. It ain’t the club, it’s the guy holding it. Once you develop good technique, any club will do.

Good on you! You’ll be glad you did!

I can change my vote, you know. I’m waiting on the cartel to traffic ice cream before I “lock in” my vote.

That is gorgeous! @jtspartan is the lathe-master!

9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Speaking of which, Jason has been around longer than I have and hasn’t acquired a CT. Talk about flying under the radar!

10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Good morning everyone! I just completed my first shave of the month. I started with my favorite safety razor, the Rockwell 6C and used my Omega Pro 49 brush. My lather was VDH luxury soap and AS was my Clubman's I achieved a beautiful BBS with WTG, ATG and XTG passes at the highest setting. Now, I have been using safeties for years, so it is expected that I get a BBS shave everytime w/o any bloodshed. It's why I don't post a grade because it is A+ usually everytime. I must say that I have gotten better shaves applying SR techniques when I use a safety. The Rockwell is my favorite razor because it is very difficult to nick yourself with it. Now, I can't wait for my next shave. I have to decide whether to use my new Ralf Aust or my newly acquired Vintage Friodur. Either way, it is going to be a good choice. Have a great day fellas!

Attached Files:

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 1, 2019
    Alphabetical journey through soaps and creams
    Fat Friday detour

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: vintage Gillette Platinum
    Razor: Schick M1
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Easy shave with The Fat. Whipped up gobs of lather with the Omega boar and then swiped it away efficiently with the M1 adjustable. Smooth and comfortable throughout. Finished with old formula American Blend as usual.

Something I haven't divulged here yet is that I scoured and stocked up on the old formula of American Blend the past few months. Chuck at Shave HQ had some NOS bottles and I originally bought four and then went back and bought three more and cleaned him out. Sealed, unopened. I already had two bottles. Then one or two more came along in BST, so I grabbed them as well. The old formula is far superior to the new bottles. So I have 11 or 12 bottles of American Blend. Think I'm set for life.

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-1-19.jpg

brit, FaceScraper, Terry and 17 others like this.
  12. PLAla

Nice shave! VDH is an underrated soap.

13. PLAla

@jtspartan is quite careful with his speech and carries himself with a dignity and posh that we can only aspire to emulate.

14. Trigger

Thanks! It is inexpensive, lathers well and is slick. You can't ask for anything more. Oh, I failed to mention that I used a VDH blade for my shave.

15. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I like the smell of their luxury soap.

16. Trigger

Yes, I do as well. However, some people have complained that it smells like Baby Wipes. I guess you can't please everyone.

17. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

How's it going. This month I am gonna use a teck/new Frankenstein with parker blades and mix and match soaps untill I find my favorite. Gonna do 3 shaves with each soap.
    This morning soap is sterling electric sheep, I really like the mutton tallow.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Getting that off your chest must have been really liberating, Perry!

19. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Not everyone likes the Veg either, but I do.

brit, 9nein9, Trigger and 12 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hey, salad's got nothin' on this mutton.
    seinfeld-mutton.jpg

brit, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.