Lime aftershave recommendations

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaveO, Feb 1, 2019.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

My huge bottle of 4711 is getting very low and I don't know what to replace it with. I've heard that the mfr of 4711 has changed and it is not the same scent anymore. I also use West Indian Lime, but the price of it is really getting ridiculous. I like the smell of the lime aftershaves so I am wondering what others on here use? I know that Prosaro makes a lime balm.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Pinaud offers two at a low price point - Lime Sec & Citrus Musk. The First has been compared to Jolly Rancher candy for it's sour sweet scent. The second one last a little longer for the additional musk component.
    Pinaud Lime Sec Citrus Musk.gif
    They are labeled as Eau de Cologne, but with a high alcohol content they make fine aftershaves. As with all Pinaud products I decanted into glass bottles.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011::happy093::D

DentonMajik, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

RyX, is there a reason why you decant all Pinaud products into glass containers?

Do you also decant, other brands, that come in plastic bottles?

DentonMajik, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

@johnnyflake - When I first got into Wet Shaving I came from decades of carts and canned gels. I don't recall ever using an aftershave. After discovering good soaps lathered with a brush one of the early post shave products I tried was Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal. I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country where every Ladies Beauty Supply store carries the full line of their products. In my reading and research of various shave forums the idea of decanting into vintage glass was recommended, especially for Pinaud AS. The plastic bottles are not high quality. If the Juice has sat on the store shelf for an extended time you might see less than full bottles so I assume evaporation or outright leakage.

Thanks to my mother and here enjoyment of reading mail order catalogs, I have a set of Perfumers Funnels. Some of the vintage glass bottles I've found have molded in restrictions so a tiny necked funnel makes for a less mess transfer.
    Perfume funnels.gif After transferring the juice I've found some labels can be reused on the glass containers. Fill the empty plastic bottle with water & microwave in short burst until the glues softens. Careful for burns - it loosens at near boiling.

AlDm, brit, DentonMajik and 5 others like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I do decant as much as possible, so when I'm refilling vintage bottles I use the coloring bottle my wife gets in her hair color. It fits nicely in to the small orifice of the vintage AS bottles.

Clairol-6-ounce-Hair-Color-Applicator-Bottle-4f8d9779-4746-455a-815f-861b076d707a_600.jpg

Being part pack rat, I have 5-6 of them.

:eatdrink013:

7. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I think that I will order a bottle of the Pinaud Lime Sec just to try it. It is so inexpensive that even if it is only fair, I would not have wasted much money.
    I remember that when I was growing up my father had a bottle of Witch Hazel in the medicine cabinet that he must have used as after shave.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  8. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

Well, I went to click on the Pinaud Lime Sec and I chickened out. I had seen people here mention Speick after shave and decided to try it because it is something totally different. Hopefully I will like it.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Extra caps for odd bottles? I started with a quart Mason jar. Had to upgrade to a gallon pickle jar as I collected a few more. There's old vintage, modern, then ya get Metrics mixed in. Natural cork, too but I prefer a screw on cap.

If you live in a metro area, check Ladies Beauty shops. Some have a Men's section and may keep stock on the shelf. An opportunity to sniff before you buy.

Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

brit, Frijolero, johnnyflake and 2 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    I get it. OP was looking for some recommendations. It's definitely pricey. BUT...
    6 oz vs. 4 oz for the same price. And, these are rare to stumble across and, IMO, it's the best Lime AS you can get.

brit, Frijolero, johnnyflake and 2 others like this.
  13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

you don't have to pay that much - I got one in December for $26 - full 6oz Lime Telescope - found it on ebay

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Granted it still has it's package, but I've also seen OS Lime sell for better prices. just have to keep looking every so often.

Frijolero, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

here's a few I like

IMG_0006.jpg

The O/S is the India version, the AV and the English Leather are vintage I picked up cheap.

I think you already mentioned T&H West Indian which is good. I find a lot of T&H marked down on eBay quite often. I suppose it has a shelf life and retailers need to move it.

The Royall is very nice and you can also get it inexpensively if you keep your eyes open. 80z is a lot but it's almost always a way better deal than the 4oz

Weasel640, DentonMajik, brit and 3 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Great price. Nothing that inexpensive at the moment.

17. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I have a bottle of the Royall lyme, but it is getting low also. I usually only use the Royall Lyme and the West Indian Lime if I am going somewhere with my wife. If I stay in the house, I just use the 4711.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    I don't get lime at all from 4711. Citrus, yes, but lime, no. 4711 smells exactly like DRH Arlington. More specifically, the scent reminds me of the wipes they give you on an airplane.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

John, you are my Limey Hero!

20. brit

brit in a box

4 of my favorites.. 20190202_002201.jpg
    plus pinaud lime sec..not shown..

BigD, AlDm, Primotenore and 4 others like this.