What are your three favorite aftershaves for LESS than $10 each?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Darkbulb, Mar 18, 2014.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Eeyore, I took an immediate interest in the HEGA Rakbalsam , as I once knew someone who used it all the time. That was back, at least 20 years ago.

I took a quick look for it yesterday, with no luck. Do you know of a source where it can be purchased?

brit likes this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Did you look in the ICA Market?

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  3. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Currently:
    Pinaud Clubman
    Pinaud Vanilla
    Old Spice - from India, haven't tried the local version yet.
    The Veg - You said four right?

NTR, brit and jtspartan like this.
  4. johnnyflake

My Friend, I must admit, that I am not familar with what the ICA Market is.
    Can you fill me in on that?

brit likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

You're not in Sweden? Forget about getting HEGA Rakbalsam then, I am afraid. I don't know of any shop who sells it online and ships internationally.

6. johnnyflake

That's too bad! Thanks for the in-put.

brit likes this.
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

brit, johnnyflake and Eeyore like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

brit and Frijolero like this.
  9. johnnyflake

10. Frijolero

Yikes! So you're in the "All other countries" group? Shipping to the US is only $15.47 (€13.50). And $26.07 for the 4 bottles. Almost, but not quite less than $10 per bottle.

brit likes this.
  11. johnnyflake

Maybe I did something wrong, as I am not familiar with that site, or how it works. If I could get 4 bottles for the $41.54 that you specify, I'd see if someone else is interested in two, a split and I would go for it. I would then split, the shipping cost, to the other buyer's home.

How can I figure out what to do to get the prices you mentioned?

brit likes this.
  12. Frijolero

I'm just looking at the rates given on the "Terms of delivery & shipping costs" page:

All Countries within the EC: Shipping per order is 150 SEK
    Switzerland: Shipping per order is 120 SEK
    USA and Canada: Shipping per order is 140 SEK
    All other countries: Shipping per order is 250 SEK

1 SEK = $.11 = €.096. Did you actually try going through check out? I have not.

13. johnnyflake

Yes, I did go to the checkout, the system was using euros. When I checked the shipping cost showed 25 Euros.

I'll go back in again today and see what I can figure out. If I can get 4 bottles, at the price you specify $41.54, or very close to it, I just may buy 4 bottles.

brit likes this.
  14. Frijolero

Maybe email them and ask? You mentioned elsewhere picking up that mirror for £4.00, so I assumed you are in the UK. That's within the EC, isn't it? Through March, anyway. As I read the shipping cost page, that's 150 SEK. Or €15. That would then total €48.60 for 4.

Also, I failed to take into account the so-called VAT. Not collected for sales to the US. 25% is significant. There is an option to show prices in SEK w/o VAT. That drops the price to 47.20 SEK. So for the US, the order would need 5 bottles to meet the 200 SEK minimum. That would be the same $41.54, but for 5 bottles, or $8.31 per bottle. (£6.35) I'd do it today if I were not doing NB19. :angelic007:

Of course, most banks will charge a fee for foreign transactions, and/or one for currency conversion. I do have one card that does not charge the foreign transaction fee, but does charge 3% for currency conversion. Paypal does the same I think.

You might try using SEK instead of Euros and see if that makes any difference. They seem to round up to an even €.1 = 1 SEK, so the math is easy enough.

15. johnnyflake

Thanks for the in-put. I'll play around with it today or tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know.

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@johnnyflake even for Sweden, that's a pretty high price per bottle. It is a great basic aftershave (once you get used to the feeling) but it's by no means a high end product!

17. johnnyflake

Yep, it is close to about $10.60 per bottle, if you get 5 bottles. Truthfully, I would not mind paying $10/$11 for a bottle, just to try it. Problem is, I don't want to have to buy 5 bottles, so I can try it. I'll just pass on it for now. After all, there are only about a zillion aftershave out there!

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Frijolero like this.
  18. Frijolero

Do you mean only the cost with shipping, or is the starting price of 59 Krona high?

brit likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Last time I stocked up in Sweden, I think I paid SEK 45 per bottle, so SEK 59 sounds a bit high ... but she additional shipping makes it expensive.

20. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Having gotten some more aftershaves from Master Well Comb via Appleton Barber Supply, I'd happily recommend just about anything from them. Almost all of their aftershaves come in huge bottles for under $10 each.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.