*DONE* Celebrating a little. My first PIF.

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by CrustyCat, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I'm doing this as kind of a celebration for myself. My wife was recently diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer. One test to go, but pretty sure it hasn't metastasized. Not out of the woods, but things are looking up.

I have been afflicted with RAD and as such, I have many duplicates.

I'm going to give away a 1968 Gillette Slim, date code N1. Last year they made them I believe. It's dirty, but it's straight, opens and closes, and adjusts. It would be a good candidate for restoration or possibly a good cleaning.

I won't be using a random number generator for this. Tell me a story. Maybe why you might want it. No jokes please. In approximately one week I'll choose someone.

If you want it, promise not to sell it, but re-PIF it.

That's it for now. Take care.

Kevin[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, brit, RyX and 6 others like this.
  2. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Very very generous. Not in, but thank you for offering the PIF to others. I hope and pray that you and your wife receive good news from her oncologist. Thanks again and good luck

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

brit, CrustyCat and RyX like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I wish your wife a COMPLETE recovery, sir. And you, the strength to support her. Very generous. Not in.

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That's very generous of you to offer that razor. Your wife is in my thoughts and prayers, melanoma skin cancer is no party. I had a friend that didn't take care of it and he pasted away.
    I would like to have one of that type which I do not have. I have several other razors that I have duplicates of I might be convinced to pif one of my duplicates. That's a great PIF but I'm not in.Thanks for the opportunity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I'm not in, thank you. It's a very nice PIF. It's good to read that your good wife is doing well. Here's a story - just for fun:

Marilyn Monroe

I didn't know Marilyn Monroe, but I like to think I might have met her on the train, from Chicago, Illinois to Miami, Florida. Boarding late, to find the only available seat is next to her with Tony Curtis, in drag, sat opposite and jealous of my amiable and slightly flirtatious chit-chat, because he's crazy for Marilyn, only she doesn't know he's a man yet. Jack Lemmon is sat over from me, wondering just how he came to be dressed as a woman and somewhat concerned that he really likes the feel of silky soft nylons on his legs; hooking one foot under his other calf, he rubs his lower leg, luxuriating in this new sensation. Marilyn sees this and gives him a conspiratorial wink; a smile that lights the way and laughing, she turns to me, to ask what my most favourite thing is, in the world, as if she had just seen hers. Jack and Tony scowl.

I tell her about Milan Milan, in the Bay. Sipping blush wine with someone you love, while sharing one of Anna's homemade chocolate brownies; the dark sponge speckled with an icing sugar universe. Eating with a tea-spoon, to make each moment linger as long as possible, while dark ganache dribbles suggestively onto the white porcelain plate. Some like it hot, I tell her, but I like mine to be just warmed through.

My stop approaches, all too soon. Tony's alter ego, Josephine, endeavours to help me. She hasn't handed me my hat, but I'm definitely being asked to leave. I wish him luck and when the time comes, tip my hat to Marilyn.
    "Goodbye Sugar", she says
    "Goodbye Norma Jean".

6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your wife, and hope she gets better. The important thing is that you both now know and she can get the treatment (if necessary) that she needs.

I'm not in, as I have two Slims, but very generous PIF. The Slim is a very nice Razor, it's that good that any beginner or avid collector would be lucky to have it in their shave den. Of the two that I have one I got in usable condition from an estate sale with the case. The other was my Grandfathers very corroded on the handle, but otherwise in good condition, I intend to have it refurbished maybe plated in Nickle or Rhodium one of these days...

7. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I hope your wife gains a full recovery.
    I'm in.
    It's a short story but here goes.
    When I was very young, I used to watch my dad shave, one particular day I was kinda hiding, peeping around the corner if you will.
    He was using a de razor. He didn't notice me, he finished up, splashed his face with cold water, and dried off. He left the bathroom, and I unnoticed go into the bathroom, I pick up the razor and take some passes down my face, and mom tells me that I walk into the living room, with blood pouring from my lip, and I say (look dad, I'm shaving just like you).

Just a memory from childhood.
    Thank you for the chance, and should I win, I'll keep it I'm sure, but the only way it will leave is a pif.

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Both my mother and one of my sisters-in-law have had run-ins with Melanoma. My mother's first bout was in the late 60s when I was around 8 and required some pretty wide margins; her second bout was over 30 years later and, oddly, was in nearly the same spot. I wish your wife well and hope for a full recovery.

As for the PIF, I'm not in. As it is, I have two of Slims and feel this one should go to someone who would appreciate it more.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice PIF. I’m not in but I’m praying for your wife.

brit, Paul Turner, CrustyCat and 2 others like this.
  10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I gave two of my three sons a slim. It's a great razor. Good luck to everyone who enters. Not in.

It is awesome to hear that your wife is doing well and making great progress.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

brit, CrustyCat, Robert1955 and 2 others like this.
  11. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Firstly.. seriously hope your wife gets good results, you sound confident, and that is in itself will give your wife confidence and strength, I have had reason to read up a lot on cancer recently and from all accounts the survival rate is getting better by the day, there are amazing new treatments and meds available now that really can stop it in it's tracks, years ago the word cancer was a horror story for most...now it is very treatable in most forms... Keep your spirits up and book a holiday when you get the good results..even a couple of days away will take a LOAD of stress from both of you.
    Seems I am the only one "in" if that is allowed...my mileage may rule me out...thats ok... I would love it because basically it would double my DE razor collection...my other is a £5 cheapo and I have nothing to compare it to...thanks for the pif and keep us updated on the wifes progress...All the best from Bonny Scotland

12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to clean it up and pass it on to someone looking for a '68 razor or slim. So, I'd only be in to clean it and detail it(no polishing or buffing) and I might have a spare case for it, so it will be ready for it's final owner.
    I just did something like this for a brand new shaver.

brit, CrustyCat and Robert1955 like this.
  13. CrustyCat

Thanks. I think you're number 2.

brit and Robert1955 like this.
  14. CrustyCat

Thanks all for the great replies.

brit likes this.
  15. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

I understand you. My dad had a malignant tumor (cancer) of the larynx. He underwent surgical treatment. Fortunately, the operation was successful, and he began to recover. That was in 1992. Illnesses do not recognize the borders of states. You can handle it.
    Not 'in'.

Я, вас понимаю. У моего папы была злокачественная опухоль ( рак) гортани. Он перенёс оперативное лечение. К счастью, операция была проведена удачно, и он начал выздоравливать. Это было в 1992 году.
    Болезни не признают границы государств.
    Вы справитесь.
    Не "в".

brit, RyX and CrustyCat like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Not in, but I'll be praying for you and your wife.

brit and CrustyCat like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice PIF. I’m not in but I’m praying for you and your wife.

However, I have a story for you. In August of 2009, my youngest grandson (18 months) was diagnosed with leukemia. I determined that if he ever lost his hair due to treatments that I would shave my head in support. Well, he did, and so I did. As a result my dermatologist spotted a suspicious spot on the top of my head which of course had been previously covered by hair. He sent me to a surgeon to have it removed and biopsied. It turns out that it was melanoma in situ. Had he not lost his hair, I would not have shaved my head, and that melanoma may have progressed and ... However, God works in all things for the good of those who love Him. I have a scar on the top of my head about three inches long from the surgery, but you cannot see it because my hair covers it, and I continue on along with my grandson ten years later. By the grace of God.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Kevin, Your wife is in my prayers and I pray for a complete recovery. Your offer is nice but I have a couple of Slims so I will pass. I hope someone gets it and enjoys it. They are nice razors.

brit and CrustyCat like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

What an amazing story. God does take care of us.

brit, Moose, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  20. CrustyCat

Amazing story. I've had melanoma in situ on my left temple and have wondered.

brit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.