What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Chicago Pocket Knife Co.
    Made in Sheffield England

One layer of tape. This one took on a very very sharp edge, right from the start, and didn't stop. Finished on Welsh Slate Stones and an Arkansas Surgical Black. Wicked Wicked edge. I might Give this one a shave, tonight.

P2040769.JPG

brit, Primotenore, oscar11 and 9 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

Wm Elliot & Co.
    Germany

Newly restored. The previous owner, recently, attempted to hone this, and wore down the spine, and left the bevel a little tattered. It needed two layers of tape, and the edge good and killed, before preceding to the bevel setting. I did not feel like spending a lot of time on the Norton 1k, so I preset the bevel with a light touch on the Norton 220 grit stone. From there, it went great. Zero issues, a nice angle on the bevel, and was popping hairs, on every stone. Finished with Welsh Slates and an Arkie Surgical Black. Awesome feeling edge.

P2040768.JPG

Primotenore, oscar11, Steve56 and 9 others like this.
  3. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

7/8 ShaveSmith just honed on Nakayama Tomei
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primotenore, oscar11, Steve56 and 8 others like this.
  4. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Had three that needed some work
    From the top:

Kiebitz #20 5/8 roundpoint
    I wanted to put an edge on it before I did any restoration work to it just to make sure the condition of the steel, it had an 1/8 long chip and some rust along parts of the edge, but those problems are gone without removing much steel.

Crocker 5/8
    Refreshed the edge starting at 4K

F.W. Engles special 3/4
    Before I started on this one I had looked at the edge to see what issues I would need take care of, and what I saw I’m pretty sure this razor has never been honed. It took a really nice edge that pops hairs with ease. It’s also ready for the workbench.

The stones I used were a norton 1K, 4K/8k, naniwa super stone 12k.
    F43BDDD8-B27C-4914-B6B1-B4D426A7684E.jpeg

oscar11, Chuck Naill, Steve56 and 8 others like this.
  5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Love the scales on the Kiebitz .F.W.Engels are awesome shavers .Nice looking razors Paul .

6. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Recently dovo best quality , dovo special. The special was fighting me a bit, finally got it.
    I am refeshning and maintaining them on pasted balsa.

7. DaltonGang

Pics??

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thank you the fwe and the kiebitz need some tlc to make them really look good. I’ve been really researching on how to use electrolysis to clean the black off a blade without damaging the faint etchings. I have a few test subjects to work with before I try it on a good blade.

9. seaswood

seaswood Member

Three bresducks honed on 1,5,8, naniwa super stones seem to come out good considering my first try at honing straights. Been using straight razor for almost a year & kept buying shave ready but it was time to try a stone as all the dubl Ducks were taking longer.

[​IMG]

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just Honed this Newly Acquired Stainless Steel Herder Solingen 5/8th +..Honed on My Naniwa Super Stone Progression...Finished on a 17 K Escher Thuri...I Have Two 17 K Escher Thuri Stones..Lucky Me...:happy097:

I Used the Bottom One..Like Honing on Glass...I Might Keep this One Rather than Turn it Over...Came with its Original Box & Looked Never Honed Since Leaving the Factory...The Factory Grinding is Par Excellence I Have Two Other Stainless Herders & I Love Em..They are Not Run of the Mill Solingen Razors for Sure..:)

Took an Awesome Edge & I Just Might have to Keep it..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Paul76, Steve56, TestDepth and 5 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Good news. I have a Herder on the way, for several days now. It's an old one.

TestDepth, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Excellent and I think you will love it. I have a #49 15/16.

13. DaltonGang

It's an Abr.Herder 326. Its going to be a restoration razor. I dont know anything about Herders, but hear about them from you guys.

14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Ancient brand. Went out of business in the mid ‘90’s I think .

15. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Great looking Razor Billy .I love how Herder razors shave .Enjoy that German Master piece .
    Regards Mike

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

66A30815-0C45-4EA8-8757-BF3F07CD2C6A.jpeg

Honed a 7/8 Robeson ShureEdge for a friend here in town. The razor looked new, with not much if any evidence of a bevel and no detectable spine wear - though the edge was rough. I started forming the bevels on a Shapton Glass HR 1k, and the bevels set almost immediately though I had to work on the last few mm of the heel on one side. Next up, 2k, 4k, a Nakayama kiita with diamond plate slurry, and a hard orange-green Nakayama asagi with tomo gave me silent HHT root in or out.

This is a really nice razor - it has tiny bevels, ground very well indeed, and of course American razors this large are uncommon. It’s a little more hollow than you might expect, and despite it’s large size, it isn’t a heavy razor.

Cheers, Steve

Paul76, mrchick, Primotenore and 5 others like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Touch Up Time: Some went back the Naniwa 8k and the Shapton Glass 16k, some just the Shapton Glass

Silverloaf 8/8

PRC Chimera

Atlas JWest

Hart Steel 6/8

M Martinez 8/8
    ID - 1.jpg

Paul76, mrchick, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Surprised the stone could hold that heavyweight lineup ;)

Paul76, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Love those burl scales @Keithmax

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

My shave of the day razor had a ding on the edge so I took it back to a 1000 grit and worked it out finishing it on a Celebrated Razor Hone. Very comfortable and close shave this morning with no aftershave burn.

Paul76, mrchick, Steve56 and 4 others like this.