Investigating These Blades - Yeni Derby USTA (New Derby Master?)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bigwaverazor, Feb 5, 2019.

1. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

Hey, members. I ran into these blades on eBay and bought 100. They seem to be straight from Turkey, writing in Turkish. Perhaps these blades are merely re-marketed (Extra or Pemium) to that area of the world??? No other information on these blades seems to be showing up yet from around the US or on frequented shaving stores and forums. I read about these directly from Derby Corp website. What do you know? What are the rumors? I think (from a rumor elsewhere) that these could be a new product, replacing Premium. The Derby site says that these blades are made with a NEW, blade grind technology, extra Sharp and double finishing (coated?).
    Yeni translates to English: New
    USTA to English: MASTER

Derby Usta website

Perhaps we have a new blade being introduced? Maybe not? I'm seeking others to help investigate. I'll have my 100 count box within a week or so, testing upon arrival. More later :)

Keithmax, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Interesting! Keep us posted.

brit, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

First I've heard of them. Thanks for taking one for the team! :)

How's your Turkish?

4. bigwaverazor

In 2 days.... I just noticed that the number of eBay sellers for the Derby USTA blade has doubled, from 1 to 2 (ha, ha). However, one Turkish seller is calling this a (new) blade from Derby. I ordered 200 more just in case they turn out to be really good and a run is made on them. Even if these blades weren't to turn out too much better than the original Derby, I use Derbys in my more aggressive razors. I find them nice blades. I use Voskhod, Perma Sharp, Treet King, Rapira Platinum LUX and Polsilver in my rotation, as well.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. bigwaverazor

Here's a Turkish YouTube using a shavette w/ Derby USTA

Mark Booth and Frijolero like this.
  6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

The packaging reminds me of buying the old TopFlite Gamer balls when Callaway owned TopFlite.

7. bigwaverazor

8. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

9. bigwaverazor

In a few weeks, when my USTA blades come in, I'll do a shave, blade comparison against the Extra and Premium. I'd like to send out a few MASTER blades to any members that might have the ability and desire to do blade measurements in: sharpness, thickness, edge grind, and longevity against the other Derby blades.

brit, Frijolero and BigD like this.
  10. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

@bigwaverazor
    Just bought the DE version for 7 USD on the bay. Thanks for sharing. You'll get yours way before I get mine. I figure 7 bucks isn't too much for an experiment.

brit, Frijolero and bigwaverazor like this.
  11. bigwaverazor

I really want to prove if these blades are 'New and improved' product or just a rebranding for a specific market location.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    brit, Frijolero and BigD like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i will follow along. derby extras weren t for me,but a new blade , i will.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. bigwaverazor

I just found a post on Badger and Blade where a few guys have already shaved on these USTA blades. They commented that the blade, thus far, seemed smoother and sharper than the original, Extra and Premium Derbys. This might support that this is a new blade product.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brit, Frijolero and Zed117 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Smooth AND sharp? Following...

Frijolero likes this.
  15. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

Great discussion and thanks for sharing!
    I ordered Derby USTA Blades about 8-9 days ago off eBay. They peaked my curiosity like the rest of us. I look forward to there arrival!

Of course, once I get a chance to try these blades, I’ll report back my impressions.

Mark
    Seattle, WA
    USA

brit, Frijolero and bigwaverazor like this.
  16. bigwaverazor

Thanks, brother Mark

Frijolero likes this.
  17. bigwaverazor

A guy over at Badger describes it as a great blade. The Turkish eBay seller told him that the USTA is replacing the Premium.

"This. blade is a like a Polsilver ...Rapira Lux...Dorco Prime..Derby Premium all in one...A Solid Buy!" - his quote

Frijolero likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Paul H uploaded a video yesterday:

brit, Frijolero, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  19. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

@Linuxguile
    I just watched that. A really good video, as always from Paul.

20. bigwaverazor

I like the blank blade look. No cheesy printing or patterns.... Cool!!! Paul did a fantastic video. I will PIF some blades to a few of you first time reviewers. PM me after I announce their arrival. Keep up the investigating.

Mark Booth and Frijolero like this.