Karve razor by Christopher Bradley: First impressions....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Great shave today with the A plate, very smooth shaver. It actually works great, I thought it would be too mild, but with 3 passes I still got a BBS shave.
    20190120_152637.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Boojum1, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

January 27, 2019

Karve Christopher Bradley "E" Plate
    Gillette Platinum
    Duke 3 Manchurian
    Asylum Saponificio Varesino Colonia
    Fine Italian Citrus
    ADP Colonia Essenza

[​IMG]

Str8on2, Frijolero and clint64 like this.
  3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Great feeling shave without compromising smoothness and cutting effectiveness with the E plate. Hadn't shaved with it in a couple months and brought it out for yesterday's shave. Felt like I've never stopped shaving with it. Intuitive feel and as good as rain calming a hot evening. Easy to get along with and just a pure joy to use. Blade is held vise like and it just hums along taking down whiskers. Top quality razor for the $$$......

B5D6413C-C7C9-491C-ADE3-E79078FBD88F.jpeg

Zed117 and johnnyflake like this.
  4. Str8on2

Today just more of the same. A solid, solid performer. Superb balance and tactile feel in the hands that inspires one to move the razor with excellent agility around one’s face. Pick a plate, a la carte and just go. Smooth operator with the Karve....

307ED34C-9D54-4242-BAE4-69B8AC208E82.jpeg

clint64 and Zed117 like this.
  5. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

KARVE- My new favorite razor. I've had so many razors, at least 20. My lasting favorites are: Weber PH, Mergress adjustable, ATT R1/H1, and Gillette FatBoy set on 6. Now it's my KARVE!! Love the handle. I bought an extra cap and 3.5" handle to make (2) complete razor sets. I own plates B-F, using mostly E & F. I can get total BBS with all the plates. I find the F plate more efficient as my once owned Timeless 0.95 open comb, scalloped razor but much MORE smooth. I sold my Timeless after my 3rd shave with my KARVE. I'm a happy shaver!!! I like the brass tarnishing, too. Plate C or D would be my choice for a daily shave. I, however, shave every other day and have no problem with plate F. KARVE- it's the 'cats meow' of razors. I didn't think anything would ever pry a Timeless out of my hands.

clint64, Str8on2 and johnnyflake like this.
  6. Str8on2

Congrats. Yes, the Karve is a really good razor system. And for the price, it's tough to beat. The Timeless razor though is still an amazing tool. I had a .68 OC until my brother borrowed it one day and I haven't seen it since (2 years nearly). Both are actually great razors.....

Happy shaves..... :happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  7. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

Great razor. I have two of them with the B and C plates -- I can hardly wait for the stainless model. Understand its a priority and will run for around $200.

bigwaverazor likes this.
  8. bigwaverazor

Tempting to buy a SS version. I really like the current brass razor for its metallurgy properties. Brass performs wonderfully around water even though it tarnishes. Even though it's not like rusting, tarnish is a feature that is both loved and hated by brass lovers. I like the tarnishing of my KARVE razor. I even try to control its pattern and color by how I rub out darker spots. Stainless steel isn't immune to rust but usually is highly resistant, as most wet shavers obviously know. I like all razors from high quality, metal materials. Therefore, a KARVE SS might be on my wish list. I usually run from that pot metal cheap material, zamak. Once water gets under the chrome, it's basically toast. My only zamak razor I own is a Mergress. A few concerns.... 1. Will moving into the SS razor market hinder KARVE'S current ability to supply its customers? 2. Will this new venture put too much strain on his production rate/ability? Chris will be hustling like never before; that can be good and bad! I highly support KARVE and desire the best for Chris. He's done a fabulous job in such a short time, especially being very new into the wet shaving hobby himself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Is the razor susceptible to corrosion?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  10. bigwaverazor

When speaking of corrosion, we must define that term in the conversation. Iron (Fe) corrosion with oxygen is deadly to the strength of that steel, resulting in iron oxide... Rust. Iron corrosion shows flaky scales. We all know this type of corrosion. Brass, on the other hand, is an alloy of copper and zinc. It's very resilient to degradation from water. However, its surface will tarnish, which is a lose or cause to lose luster, especially as a result of exposure to air or moisture. The beneath material is structurally unaffected. Expect the KARVE to tarnish! If you like the bright brass look, you may end up chasing your tail. Some have polished and sealed their razors to protect from this tarnishing. Others keep buffing out the tarnish. I ENJOY it. I actually encourage it. From a chemistry standpoint, brass is actually much more in its 'niche' around water than stainless steel. Never believe someone's claims that stainless steel won't rust. It's just much, much more resistant than pure Fe. Brass is used on sailboats for a reason. A well taken care of a brass razor should last 10's of centuries, dozens of lifetimes. Many artifacts found in museums are thousands of years old and made of brass or bronze. Get a KARVE. I have plates B, C, D, E, and F. I added a second cap and handle to get (2) complete razors. 20190209_085916.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Frijolero, Str8on2 and Tjebbe like this.
  11. BigMark83

Ok, Does it get the green spots that we see on old Gillettes and other old brass razors? I could careless about patina.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. bigwaverazor

I'm not entirely sure. Upon researching this myself, tarnish color is usually attributed to what's causing the tarnish. For instance, ammonia and salt can go blue-greenish. Brass, as an alloy, can have different percentage of copper and zinc. Most old-fashion door knobs are merely dark, dull brown. I've only owned my KARVE for a few months. I don't suggest looking over Google images because some people have used other chemical processes to induce a tarnish, all different colors. My KARVE is just going a slight darker, brass look. It's looking better and better. I don't know the background of the old Gillettes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Frijolero likes this.
  13. BigMark83

I was hoping someone here would know. I wanted to get an answer directly from the source, but there is no contact option on the website, and I no longer use Facebook.

Frijolero likes this.
  14. bigwaverazor

I'd truly suppose the Green color is due to the copper. I'd try email to KARVE and ask the alloy percentages of their metal being used. The more copper, the more green-blue.

Frijolero likes this.
  15. bigwaverazor

This guy FORCED tarnish with hot, salt-vinegar solution. This isn't what my razor is doing!!! I would not worry about your KARVE going towards that color.
    20190209_115239.jpg

Frijolero and BigMark83 like this.
  16. BigMark83

, good to know. That's exactly what I was talking about.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. bigwaverazor

Here's my brother's razor. Mark lives in Seattle, whereas I live in California. His plates look like mine, in color, but not his handle. His is a slight green in the grooves. I dry my razor after each use. He said that he doesn't clean between the grooves but I do. I wipe my razor down. FYI...Brass tarnish is highly antibacterial. Marine creatures don't like to live on it. I rub out spots as I feel. I semi control the pattern and depth of the tarnish. Some people use FLITZ to polish and protect the brass from oxidation. I suggest to not chase the tarnish. If it bothers you, stay away from the KARVE. It's my best razor, though. I've found my RAD killer!!!!
    Here is his razor:
    20190209_123850.jpg

Frijolero likes this.
  18. BigMark83

I live on the shoreline so I'm sure that would happen to me.

19. bigwaverazor

Well, the machining is impeccable, the shaves are outstanding, the price is very fair. You just may not be a KARVE lover if color blemishing isn't embraced. Then, you might consider the Game Changer .84 (all SS) for $60-ish, including the shipping. I have a Game Changer ordered since I've sold off a few other things.

jluc likes this.
  20. BigMark83

I'm waiting for the .68 to become available again.