Gillette English Aristocrat #22?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by oldjoe, Feb 6, 2019.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I purchased this razor and the open/close mechanism needed a heck of a lot of work; soaking and cleaning soaks to get smooth enough to think it wouldn't break. And, the end result is OK but it is still not smooth. What would be the equivalent English Gillette Aristocrat, shaving the same, that doesn't have an aluminum handle. The shave with the #22 is about perfect! The opening and closing is not. I blame the aluminum handle as a heck of a lot of dark grayish black ooze came out during cleaning. And, no I did not try to take it apart. Thanks for advice!

2. brit

brit in a box

a #22, 66 or 70 with the brass/rhodium handles will feel the same but heavier. the hd500 and #58 have a little more blade gap..the aristocrat jr are very similar as well..hope this helps a little.

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Yes, that does help! I think I will search for a #66 or 70? I hope the shave is exactly the same as I have not found anything better then my "flawed"? aluminum #22. Thanks!

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

your welcome..the brass handled #22 has pat pending on the blade tray, the #66 has a pat number. the #70 is nickel plated not rhodium .all will have the diamond stamped base plate.the flat baseplate with 430030 on them are more aggressive for lack of the proper term.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I purchased a #58, 1955 I believe? Says Brit Pat-694093 on tray. Ex+ condition. can't wait to try it out. It opens and closes the smoothest I've ever seen. I hope it does as well or better than the light Aluminum handle # 22.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool ,nice razor,is classed as an aristocrat jr.i love mine..enjoy..

7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

For what it's worth the #58 does better for me than the #22 with aluminum handle. Very nice smooth and efficient shave with the #58. I don't have a #16 but I don't think it would be a better razor for me. The weight is about perfect! Thanks for all the advice!

brit likes this.
  8. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

Give it 4-5 soaks with hot water and soap while its standing in a glass. Leave it open upside down, then flip it. Do it a few times and the mechanism should work better. One or two cycles with a splash of vinegar might help as well, just make sure you mix the vinegar with the hot water before you put the razor in.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

glad you have found something you like, a #58 is a fine razor..in looks and function..

10. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

One more question? I purchased from England, what was Advertised as a 1949 Aristocrat #22 in the case with the blade dispenser in a Nickel or chrome plated? dispenser cover with small instruction sheet. I looked at the one blade in the dispenser and it has Z4 on it which I think is from 1954. Blade says made in England. The case is slightly smaller than other similar snake skin grey cases I have seen and has the large to small scales on the cover. The case looks like a coronation case but without the crown. I wonder if this is not a # 66 Aristocrat and also why the fancy dispenser cover would come with it. The diamond stamped blade tray has Patent pending (not abbreviated) and there is no number. The razor is in ex.cond. I tried to upload pictures of the razor but it says file to large for server. This the detailed description here. Any experts have an idea of What set and/or razor this might be?

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

sound by description as a #22.the" mister razor "website on line is a great source for info and pics..this sight has pics of both. look under razors, then one piece solid guard bar.. early crats with the diamond bladetray said pat pending, the later ones had the pat #54 up ish

12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks and probably the reason it was advertised as a #22. But, I wonder about the case and the Dispenser fancy cover and also the one blade in the dispenser with the Z4 on it? I see there is some discussion about coronation sets and similar #66 sets where the case does not have the crown on it. . Maybe the razor is mismatched to the case? Anything is possible I suppose over the No. of years? # 22 razor in a later #66 case?

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

possible,the fourth gen razor was in #22.66 and 70 sets..they shave the same..early-pat pending, later pat #, latest nickel plated slight mod? the case designated the set number..so any of the first 2 variations could be in that non coronation case,,the #70 had its own case..then there are the other variants..,gold, crat deluxe, aluminum etc.without pics thats as much as i know.. hope it helps..

14. brit

brit in a box

the 1954 blade may not be original to the razor..

15. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Yes but I see going to Mr. Razor's Coronation picture set on his site, a razor picture underneath showing the exact case, razor and blade case with cover shown. It has the Dispenser cover with groved lines and not the Gillette Diamond shown in the picture of the Coronation set Dispenser cover. 2 sets offered, I think? 1953 for the coronation set and no date for the below listed "Cheers for the 66 Set" probably 1953? 2 sets there: a Coronation set and a "Cheers for the 66 Set"? I think that's what I have got. Coronation case, no crown, blade dispenser (with lines/groves) cover and blade with 1954 date(probably original set put together in 1954. Thanks for sending me to the Mr. Razor site. I think I have a nice lateCheers... 66 set. And, in really ex. condition. And, I've learned a lot in all this----I think?

16. brit

brit in a box

awesome sir..glad you found what you needed..happy to help..cheers..

17. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

The #66 Coronation set on my site is special: it has a fixed dispenser cover without hole and grooves. I have never seen again this type of dispenser cover. I have to add that information to my page to avoid confusion.

brit likes this.
  18. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

the 1953/54 #66 has Patend Pending too. Since 1955 it says Brit.Pat. 694 093

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir.

20. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you for the identification details. That would be Brit and Mr-razor, the real authority! I have shaved with the #66 and it is the best of the best for me as far as Aristocrats are concerned. That would be either USA or England manufactured. Tight tolerance & Smooth and very efficient. Now for me to search out the best blade(for me) which is all part of the "fun" for this #66.

brit likes this.