Poll: What are the TWO things you look for in a razor? (ignore poll title)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Feb 10, 2019.

?

What is the #1 thing that most appeals to you in the razors you enjoy?

1. History or tradition

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Cost

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Availability

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reliability

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. Versatility

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Quality of manufacture

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  7. Appearance/styling

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. Modern manufacture (not vintage)

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Comfort

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Shave quality

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. brit

brit in a box

i still chose reliability and added history/tradition. i learn to use the tool effectively ,with comfort and great results.the ones that don t deliver will get used in a focus.

gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    OK, I went for Quality and Appearance/Styling. Must be well made. Must have a modicum of "eye candy".
    See, a vintage blade can most definitely fit into both of those categories.
    History (unless George Washington shaved with it), doesn't matter if it isn't "Quality".
    Cost is relative. I may not buy something because it's too expensive, but I don't want something just because it's inexpensive either.
    Availability isn't a factor. If it is not available, I am not buying it. Just because it's on the shelf, doesn't mean I am.
    Versatility??? That's stumping me. Are we talking about razors? What else are they supposed to do?
    Modern is cool, but not a deciding factor for me.
    Comfort was tempting, but in the end, a straight razor is either sharp and smooth or it isn't. If it's not, I make it so.
    Shave quality. Well, I am in the camp that believes it's not the razor that shaves you, but the hand that wields the razor, so nope.

wchnu, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I can pick two #1s? Odd.

I'll stay put, and double down on my earlier statement. Not that other factors are not important. They are. But reliability is the only deal breaker for me.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Very good question. Pardon the wordy explanation...

The reason for the versatility option is because I alternate between goatee w/sideburns, full beard and (less often) clean shaven over the course of a year.

Now once upon a time, while still in the throes of RAD, I used to be happy with a handful of tools that would manage maintaining clean lines around a goatee, or with keeping me BBS all over.

But over time and with experimentation, I've decided open comb is the way to go, and that pretty much means DE.

Comparing myself only with myself, my technique has advanced enough that I now don't need to rely on the Schick E2 or a Rolls or a Trac II to do edging. I now can do whatever I need to with a DE...though more patience and care are required, and that's okay. Likewise, when I want to mow something off and go BBS, a safety bar or cart will choke and that's annoying. Plus, I've lost my taste for the feel of SE blades. DE, with the right blade, is far more comfy than SE or injector.

So for versatility, now it's open comb DE for me.

As for appearance:

The E2, which I'm very fond of, will do all that I need and do it well. It just doesn't look as NICE sitting there as a vintage nickel plated DE (I know you know what I mean). That's where appearance comes in.

I figured I'd be the only one to choose versatility but now that I've explained it, maybe someone else will choose it too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yeah, let me see what I can do about that.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Let's see those NEWs again.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Good explanation. But the BEST "edger" for a goatee is a straight. :)

brit, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Coming from a quality control background, I realize that consistency (meaning product's reliably and expected behavior) is very important. That is why I picked reliability, so that I know (if set up properly) the characteristics of a razor will be the same (every time). Secondly I chose comfort .... I'd rather have a comfortable shave and (if need be), touch it up later in the day; than a shave that is so efficient my skin is too sore for days to shave.

brit, gorgo2, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I voted for modern and quality of shave. I prefer the look of modern razors, and I prefer aggressive razors. My favorites are my 2011 R41 and my Joris. I must admit I choose modern because I like some bling to my shave. I do own and enjoy a Barbasol Floating Head so I’m not worried about bacteria nor viruses from a prio user.

brit, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll never know so I guess I'll just have to take your word on that. ;)

brit, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    I have sported a goatee for most of the time since returning to traditional wet shaving, almost 5 years. I can, with some authority, say that when I would try to "clean up", or, to use your term, "edge" my goatee, I oftentimes clipped some beard hair, because I couldn't "see" the edge of the blade. Now that I am using a straight razor, the edge is right there in my face, allowing me to really cut exactly where I want, and not beyond. :)

Keithmax, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup!!

brit likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AMEN!

14. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

This poll was a though one. I wanted to select more than two options but as two is the maximum of choices I had to form a strategy. I went with the "if I could own only one razor" strategy. Then I want that razor to be versatile so I am able to use it in all situations, both daily and also after a week of no shaving. I also want my shaves to be comfortable. I wanted to also click on shave quality, but my two options were used.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The Micromatic is open comb and will take on anything you want to shave. It is also a great every day shaver...just saying as you said pretty stuck at ocde....

Frijolero and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's a OCMM here somewhere but I lost the love for the SE feel.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

First, I do like vintage razors overall, but I do have a couple modern ones. That being said, I go for overall look and performance.

brit and Enrico like this.