Straight razor recommendations

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lightcs1776, Feb 10, 2019.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I am looking at the possibility of adding a straight razor or two and would like some recommendations regarding brands to look at. I am only considering used razors. I know Wade and Butcher have a good reputation, as does Double Duck. I am trying to snag a couple straights for under $20, so the budget is tight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I would look for vintage blades made in the 1920 through 1930 .IMHO That was the peak in quality in straight razor production .It is hard to find a bad blade from that era .English,US ,Germany ,Sweden and Japan all made great razors .Just make sure the blade does not have a lot of hone wear or rust on the edge .Good luck with your hunt .

Trigger, Paul76, Chuck Naill and 7 others like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    it isn't about Name it is about Condition

A good Torrey will beat a bad Filarmonica

Most any vintage razor in good shape is going to be a smart buy

Trigger, BaylorGator, Paul76 and 9 others like this.
  4. lightcs1776

I guess my first steps ought to be a bit of research on what to look for in a razor. I hope to stop by a few antique stores / flea markets when I pick up one of my kids from college in Virginia. It is tough to tell the condition of a razor from pictures and I don't necessarily trust descriptions on every site.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Trigger, BigMark83, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Chris I hate linking other forums but I only have this article over on SRP

I did it years ago but the info stands the test of time I hope it helps

https://sharprazorpalace.com/beginners/65405-beginners-tips-feb-2011-a.html

I will take a look out in the shop and see if I have anything that might fit your specs too, give me some time we are in a snowstorm hehehe

6. lightcs1776

Thats very kind. I will check out the article as well. I did get a loupe, as suggested, and was able to detect some issues with the current straight razor. I a going to align it with the scales before re-honing.

Trigger, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Most Important thing is the Condition as Glen Said..Just to Add a Wee thing...A Good Hone Job is Important..A Good Solid Bevel & Progression is the Most Important thing...I Can Put an Edge on the Ugliest Well Worn Non Fancy Brand Name Vintage Razor I have Ever Seen & they Shave Well..:happy088:

In Other Words..A Well Honed Razor is Worth its Weight in Gold..And get One in Decent Condition...:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You link with correct intent. By all means, carry on. :happy088:

9. lightcs1776

With the help of all of you, and Gssixgun in particular, I made a purchase of a second straight. I spent more than intended, but it's an excellent price for the product, shave ready, and I have confidence that it will be exactly as advertised. I really appreciate all the comments and advice.

Trigger, Paul76, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  10. lightcs1776

So ... the razor purchase fell through as I was not fast enough to order one. Oh well, things happen. I still have a great lead on what will certainly be an excellent razor that will be, without question, shave ready. I plan on using this as my primary tool to learn how to effectively use a SR, and to help me understand what I should be aiming for in my honing.

Trigger, Paul76 and mrchick like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Having been seduced by the dark side this past year, I'd like to share a few thoughts if I may.

I got my first straight from Glen, because of his reputation (and he had a nice beginner for sale). Since it is sometimes considered that the primary learning curve on straights is 100 days, it was my intention to stay with this razor for that time. I did acquire a second from a known source for good edges. The second razor was used about once a week to help me confirm the edge on my 'trainer'. I had a lot of concern over rolling an edge in daily leather stropping.

Although I bought some synthetic stones, I have been pretty successful in maintaining edges using 3 different balsa wood strops with 3 different stropping pastes. It may be an option to consider in your startup.

Be well.!

Trigger, Paul76, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  12. lightcs1776

Thanks for the detailed information.

It turns out that I may or may not have missed the opportunity for the straight. Messages back and forth from the vendor were confusing, as I saw they were gone but didn't get confirmation if I am one of the successful buyers. It is likely more confusion due to my misunderstanding that anything else. If it did go through, I will have an excellent razor to learn on, and will take a closer look at those pastes to keep the edge. I have the same concern about rolling the edge, but my stropping seems to be improving as I am determined to use a straight on a daily basis.

Trigger, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Don't worry, too much, about rolling the edge. Just give the strop a little slack, go very slow at first, keep the spine on the leather the entire time, and use very little pressure. The sound will tell you a lot.

Trigger, Keithmax, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  14. lightcs1776

I just received confirmation that the razor shipped so it looks like I was one of those who placed the order before they were all spoken for. I will post a picture when it is received. I am quite excited about this purchase.

Trigger, Keithmax, brit and 6 others like this.
  15. lightcs1776

The razor has arrived, thank you Glen. It is in excellent condition and certainly very sharp. I am looking forward to using it. [​IMG]

Trigger, mrchick, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  16. M14Shooter

Nice looking razor.Glenn puts a great edge on a straight. You should love it's performance.
    Regards Mike

Trigger, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  17. lightcs1776

Yep, it shaved beautifully. No nicks either.

Trigger, Keithmax, gssixgun and 4 others like this.
  18. lightcs1776

And now I have a King Cutter on the way. I am going to have to use some restraint, as I will get in hot water with the misses. I plan on researching the possibility of using old jeans for a linen strop, which could curb the expenses. DE razors aren't nearly as tempting as straights seem to be. [​IMG]

Trigger, mrchick, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  19. M14Shooter

That Boker is in great shape .Enjoy

Trigger and lightcs1776 like this.
  20. lightcs1776

Thanks! The price was something that couldn't be ignored. I will need to hone it, but I need the practice.

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.