February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Clint!

Trigger, clint64, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Joseph! You have really made some great progress with straights.

Hembree, wristwatchb, Trigger and 8 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Wonderful black and white picture, Clint!

Trigger, clint64, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Danny! Great looking brush!

5. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew!

6. Norcalnewb

Beautiful razor, Andrew! I love those F Types.

wristwatchb, Trigger, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Nice set up, Robert!

Hembree, Trigger, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Thanks Jim!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

If any Parker SRX owners have opinions to share, there's a TSD member who's thinking about buying one -->HERE.

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Fatboy, w/case
    Blade: Personna 74 Tungsten (3
    Brush: 30DC LE w/ MS 2 Band 100% Finest 24/63
    Soap: TSD Blood & Steel LE
    A/S: Folsom Capri

More difficult than I thought using the same tools everyday. When I open the door to my Shave Den there are many things calling out to be used. Maybe next month.
    Great shave with this gear.

11 2 19.jpg

11. Linuxguile

Beautiful shot Doug!

Trigger, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

20190211_140124-1-1-1-1.jpg Good afternoon! I took off today because I thought I was going to report for jury duty. I wasn't required to go today, but I am still on call, so I went to the gym and headed back home. I just completed my shave this afternoon. I decided to shave with my Dovo Best Quality 5/8 half-hollow razor. In keeping with my "firsts" theme, I decided to open Stirling's Sandpiper sample size which was piffed by Andrew. Thanks Andrew! I also opened a new bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS. I have never tried this aftershave. I also used my Semogue OC super badger brush. I only had 1 day stubble and only needed WTG and ATG with very little touch up. I didn't get any cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. It was an effortless BBS shave. This was only my 35th traditional straight razor shave. I have a total of 80 straight shaves when I include my 45 shavette shaves.
    Result Grade 98 = A+.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

February 11th
    Schick G4 '66'
    Omega Pro/ Poculi handle
    Barrister's Reserve Cool SS & AS
    Thayers
    IMG_0872.jpg
    Very early morning shave, afternoon post. Had a nice 'Menthol Monday' lather as I M-bombed the favourite Reserve Cool this morning. This brush is starting to break in a bit. I think beating it on the bottom of this bowl helps it along a bit. I wasn't perfectly smooth as I've been with this favourite '66', and I'm guessing the blade is done. I have zero idea how many shaves are on this blade, but it needs to go. A fresh Personna for tomorrow, I think.
    Have a great afternoon and evening, all!

14. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, day off today, maybe tomorrow as well due to weather. but thats ok..simple shave today..brit flat bottom tech, gsb and the rr bruce synthetic..captains copper bowl and away we go ,lovely slick lather, 1 pass today plus a pick up or so. 2 shaves in a row with aristocrats and there wasn t a lot left..nice dfs and av sport to finish , back to building another car kit..have a great day.. 20190211_121120.jpg

15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Love the snow and how is that copper bowl working out?

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Gary, sometimes short and sweet shaves are the best!

17. brit

brit in a box

thank you danny, i absolutely love the bowl. i have a few various old bowls from many antique shops and such but really wanted a cc bowl.always leary of pottery though as i have tile floors and you know what happens with slippery hands.their copper version just ticked the boxes.i am a dedicated bowl latherer so its was a win win..awesome lathers ,no spillage, happy camper..

wristwatchb, Keithmax, Terry and 10 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

yes sir they are some of the best.no real prep, just wet the face ,lather and go,with great results..don t need to smell fancy today..but the av sport is nice..thank you..

19. Linuxguile

That's about as perfect as it can get, Joe!
    Beautiful shot Jason!
    Who needs menthol? Just chill your AS in the snow!

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This stretching skin stuff doesn't work for me. It just causes a lot of little cuts, my face looks like I have red pimples when I do and to add insult to injury it doesn't get me any closer of a shave just less passes with more blood and cuts.
    Once this blade is spent, I am switching over to a focus and throwing in a Feather and see if that improves the closeness of the shave with this Van Der Hagen razor all other factors left the same.

Don't get me wrong the shaves are very good to excellent now but I am trying for 100% perfect here. I've been there before with other razors most recently the Tom-X / Bic Chrome Platinum blade combo so I know it is achievable. The shaves even with this Astra blade which is an okay at best blade are more than acceptable. I know for sure this razor will shave closer with a sharper blade since I've used it before with better results using a Bic blade. The question is how much better if any is a Feather now in this razor.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.