Looking to purchase a new Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PatrickA51, Feb 11, 2019.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Good morning:
    Last night I posted a link that I found on the internet, I want to buy a new Straight Razor. I have found several Straight Razors, made by Parker Safety Razor Company.
    My question is: Which Safety Razor is a good starter razor? I have found several different models of the Parker Safety Razor,
    I guess I am looking for recommendations as to which model to purchase and or are there different brands out there and not just the ones made by Parker that use changeable razor blades. Also what other companies make replaceable blades for straight razors?
    See link below and thank you in advance.

https://www.supersafetyrazors.com/p...ip-type-straight-barber-razor-5-shark-blades/

Frijolero, Karl G and RyX like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those Parkers are not "Straight Razors", nor are they "Safety Razors". But, are "Shavettes". Straight Razors do not use interchangeable blades, that use DE blades, snapped in half.
    Shavettes are very unforgiving, and you will have a high likelihood of cutting yourself real good, starting with those. I would start with a true Straight Razor. Much more forgiving, and traditional.

3. PatrickA51

Thank You.
    That is what I thought that they were in the true sense. :happy088: :shaver

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

On the up side, a shavette doesn't need stropping or honing like a real straight. Having used both I'll agree with Scott @DaltonGang - These will punish bad technique. If you go to a barber for a SR shave they may use something like this because it can be thoroughly cleaned and a new blade used for each customer.

There are a number of guy in The 30 Day Crew that use and enjoy the Parker SRX. If you decide to try one or have question, stop in and visit.

Frijolero, Karl G, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  5. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Hi folks. Long time lurker and sometime contributor here. After feeling emboldened by reading posts from the regular contributors to these forums I purchased a Hart Steel 5/8 Round point in December 2017. I intentionally avoided a shavette after reading some of the older threads here... I'm glad I did. Here is a synopsis of my straight razor story.

I had my first straight razor shave on December 17, and the last time I picked up a double-edged razor was on March 1, 2018. I really jumped in with both feet and found my initial shaves were as good as my DE shaves, and then after about 3 months became far better than any of the DE's that I had, including both the 2011 and 2013 R 41.

As my technique has improved, I find irritation to be an unusual occurrence and blood even more unusual. In fact, I loved the first Hart so much, I bought a second in April 2018 (a 5/8 with a barbers notch) and rotate the two shaving 5-6 days per week. Don't get me wrong, there was some blood along the way (I had plenty of nicks and 3 cuts), but I eventually learned how not to bleed.

I also learned how to hone. I have used stones on my kitchen knives since my wife suffered a particularly bad cut from a dull knife several years ago and because of that the transition to honing my newly acquired straight razor seemed pretty natural.

So my input for a recommendation on a starter razor is Hart Steel. I understand that what works for me may not work for someone else, but my experience has been really good. I also have not used any other straight razors to compare to my Harts.

The major downside is the initial cost. Unless you can find one for sale from classic shaving or some other site that carries them, they generally are >$200. I lucked out and caught them on sale at nearly 50% off.

Good luck!

Keithmax, Karl G, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Martin, thanks for jumping in. Don’t be a stranger. Us straight razor shavers can always learn from other’s experiences.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I'd like to recommend a Feather SS folding shavette with a packet of Artist Club Pro-Guard blades. The razor is in the $60 range and the blades approximately $12 for 15. The blades last several shaves.

8. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I bought a new TI. It has a bent spine. I don't like it.

I bought a new Hart Steel. I paid extra to have it honed. I didn't like the honing,
    but I rehoned it and I like it.

New Brian Brown, I like it.

New Dovo Bismark, after stropping on a clean strop, very very sharp.
    I like it.

Jerry Stark D2 steel, took me a long time to hone it right.
    I shaved with it today. I like it.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Martin-j and 4 others like this.
  9. PatrickA51

Most of the barbers that do Straight Razor Shave are a joke in this area. My barber has quit doing face shaves because has arthritis in his hands, the kids as my barber calls (and I agree that they are) that work in the shop he works in don't know how to give a shave most of them use an electric and then come back and finish up with a shavette razor not a straight razor.

Frijolero, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  10. Martin-j

Thank you, Mr. C. You're 100% right on learning from others. I find the contributors to these forums encouraging and extraordinarily knowledgeable. Whenever I have have a question, it's been asked and answered somewhere in these pages.

I really should participate more often, but the trouble with that is the more I read I tend to want to buy more stuff!!

Frijolero, Keithmax, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Since when, is 'more stuff' a bad thing?
    :cool:

Frijolero, Keithmax, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  12. PatrickA51

@mrchick and @Martin-j , thank you both for jumping in, it's members like the both of you that help make the Shave Den an enjoyment and learning experience.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, it can be expensive. You can resist.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Sure man, Sure!
    :happy088:

15. DrStrange

The thing to watch out for, I think, is that there is no shortage of great
    razors that a lot of guys really like and don't hesitate to say so.

I have enough razors and I had to make a conscious decision
    that if I see a great razor going for cheap,
    I just have to be OK with letting somebody else have it;
    unless it's a double evide sonnant in very good shape.

Frijolero, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  16. Martin-j

Since, well... never. :rofl:

The last major purchase was in December when I convinced myself I needed to get a new brush. I ended up with a Kent BLK 8. Its simply awesome and has improved my shave with a lather far superior than my 7 year old Parker was providing. Brush really makes a difference... who knew?

17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

If You Go the Straight Razor Road..Then Being Shave Ready is the MOST Important thing to Look at..New Dovo Razors & Most New Brand Name Razors Need Honed...Some Need the Bevel Set..I Have Never Seen a Brand New Modern Razor that I Couldn't Improve..Honed from the Factory or Not..:eek:

Hell..I have Honed Maesto Livi Razors & Not One was Bevel Set Properly...The Great Master..Allegedly..:happy102:

So..Make Sure its Shave Ready Whatever You Get..Vintage or Modern..That May Mean Sending it to a Reputable & Able Person that Can Hone it..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

18. DrStrange

I have to say that I did have a positive experience with a brand new Dovo Bismarck.
    It was just a stropping away from being one of my sharpest razor.

Two years ago I showed up after a friend had just cut her daughter's hair on the porch.
    This is the good stuff for HHT. Seven year old girl straight blond hair.
    I collected some and regret not collecting more.
    The Dovo was my first razor that could cut that hanging.
    All that I had to do was to strop it first on clean leather.

19. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Billy speaks the truth. Ignore him at your peril.

Ultimately a honer worth their salt won't touch junk. But even a great razor is junk if it won't shave .

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

A good razor for a starter straight will likely be a round point, hollow ground, and 5/8th to 6/8ths in size. There are many good makes but it would be hard to go wrong with most any razor with steel from Sheffield or Soligen. No need to get a name brand to start or spend a lot of money.

Get it professionally honed and don’t be surprised if it doesn’t feel right for ten shaves or so. Start with just the cheeks and one pass with the grain only. Progress slowly from there. :happy088:

mrchick, Frijolero, brit and 4 others like this.