What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Inspired by quite a few member’s Kropp razors, but especially @Karl G’s big Kropp, I had the pleasure of attaining this one...
    15/16” Kropp with a nicely jimped thumb notch. A little different than the Made in England or Made in England Ground in Germany, this one is just stamped Made in Germany.

Behaved amazingly on the hones. Bevel quickly, and I mean quickly, set on the Suehiro Deluxe 1k. Refined on the Suehiro 6k and then finished on the pictured grey Thuringian.

5318818C-35A2-49F8-8459-6443FEF2E052.jpeg

Maybe time for one more :).
    Happy honing.
    Tom

brit, Paul76, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Your collection of razors is gorgeous, Keith.

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Got to work on one more while the snow is falling...
    Researching this one is taking me some time - shockingly Googling “Best Razor” didn’t get me my answers :).
    Same initial bevel work as before (1&6k), then turned to the Okudo with a Mejiro nagura followed by the Nakayama tomo slurry. Slowly took my time breaking the slurry down while enjoying the time on the stone... peaceful.
    BAEF27DB-5A6A-4667-9086-BE0768E0F638.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Primotenore, Keithmax, brit and 8 others like this.
  4. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Touch up on 5/8 Klas Tornblom on Welsh Slate
    rps20190210_201633_915.jpg

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Gotta love sitting by the woodstove on a cold snowy day in North Idaho and honing some Custom Razors today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nakayama Finiah

[​IMG]

Thuringen Finishes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and a grilled cheese Sammy in the perfect Cast Iron pan
    [​IMG]

Hone On !!

I need to post the pics of the heel on the one with the Spalted wood scales I took with my USB, using the MMT

6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    here

Front

[​IMG]

Backside

[​IMG]

The heel had never touched a hone until today :(

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Some more fun ones from the honing bench tonight

2 Russian razors and a dinged Aust

[​IMG]

Taking out the ding pics of that from the USB, this is the only time people should be lifting the spine off the hones, you take off the least amount of steel that way

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going - The spine is about at a 30° angle off the hone

[​IMG]

Going - at about 20° off the hone

[​IMG]

Getting really close doing circles with the spine touching the hone, you can just BARELY see the Percussion Bulge from the impact

[​IMG]

Gone Baby Gone - Bevel set

[​IMG]

Barely lost any width on the Aust

[​IMG]

Russians finished out on a Zulu Grey

[​IMG]

Did the Aust on a blue/green Escher

[​IMG]

Hone On !!

Primotenore, RyX, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nicely done Glen!

Cheers, Steve

M14Shooter, Trigger, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  9. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Unless the dings are really small I use your method with great results each time.

Elsewhere I have read criticism of that kind of method. The argument being that if you don’t consistently hone with the spine flat to the stone you alter the width of the blade disproportionately to the width of the spine and therefore don’t maintain the correct bevel angle. Thoughts on that?

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Bahahahahahahaha :D

Does that answer your question :p

Seriously though, the amount of steel coming off is the same, you MUST get to the bottom of the ding period end of story.

Now if they want to discuss the difference in bevel angle being HIGHER we could do that too, but I doubt any of the people talking could tell you what that difference even is..
    Having done extensive tests on bevel angles over the years what I have learned through actual hands-on experimentation is that it really doesn't much matter :)

Hone On !!!

Hmmmmmm thinking about whether to fire up the Kubota and move it now or hone now and wait till it stops and then go move it all later :p

[​IMG]

Carry Me Daddy, the snow is deeper than me

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Primotenore, brit, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Let's see. I did some laps on the Thuringian under dripping water. Does that count?

12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Not Sure what You Mean by COUNT...I Use the Running Water Method to Hone Razors on Both My Escher Thuringians..It Counts to Honing & Sharping My Razors..All I Can Say....:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Edison Carter and mrchick like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Okay, well, it counts...….I honed a pristine Torrey Our 136 5/8 and a Model 7 Pyramid Geneva 6/8.:bounce017::bounce017:

14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I was really expecting more of the Ralf Aust to disappear.

15. SevenEighth

[​IMG]

For February I am limiting myself to one stone, one strop, a pair of razors, a pair of brushes, and one soap. It has been a great way to get to know these razors and the stone.

So far I have set the bevel on one and removed a small chip from the other and refereshed them both. The coticule is fast on slurry and on water - you can see the swarf coming off really quickly which makes finishing tricky but I find it works fine with soap or lather. It's La Petite Blanche, sold to me as La Veinette but who cares what it's called - it's how it hones that is important. I am surprised just how quickly it took a chip out of an inox razor - which I thought would be hard work.

I am finding that the pure coticule edge needs refreshing much sooner than any other I set. I have read this on various threads. On one hand it's a shame - on the other ... I get to hone more!

16. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

There are so many variables with coticules, a finicky stone. The steel, the stone, the lube, and the abilities of the hands that are brought to the party. The Puma is on shave 38 and the Mandt is on shave 31 off of this primitive Bout. There has been no maintenance other that linen and leather. It does take some time before they give up there secrets. Not all will be a finisher. I am lucky to be the caretaker of this stone that delivers the edges it does.

BF58DF5C-7501-46BA-97A8-9AC77660DB72.jpeg

brit, mrchick, TestDepth and 11 others like this.
  17. SevenEighth

That's awesome. On coticule.be they mention refreshing every 5-7 shaves. Hearing that I should be able to get the same longevity I get off other stones is very welcome news.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Terrific.

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    I Can Only Talk of My French Barbers Finishing Coticule...I Find it Holds as Good an Edge as Any Stone...Synthetic or Natural...The Problem with Many Coticule Stones is that they are Not Fit for Finishing SRs..This Stone here will Knock Out a 12 K + Edge with Lather & as Easy & Consistent to Use as a Naniwa 12 K Super Stone...:)

In Fact it will Pick Up an Edge Pre Finished on a 12 K Naniwa Super Stone & Run with it...No Problem..No Voodoo...No Secrets..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, brit, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Racking and Stacking for after dinner Honing session and TV binging

Had to replace the old rotted leather on the Stropback razor case too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even saved the original Hobnails and reused them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone on !!!

Keithmax, Primotenore, brit and 7 others like this.