Every brush restoration question

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Birdie, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

i see people out there posting about brush restoration. Has any one done an ever ready brush? If so, what size is the knot, where do I find them, and how do I get the old knot out? I have one I would like to bring back to life. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

You weren't kidding about "every question"! Brush restoration is very hands on & do it yourself. Are you comfortable with power tools? Own a drill press and a set of Forstner bits? A battery powered had drill? A Dremel motor? Those can speed up the process of thoroughly trashing an antique handle. How about kitchen shears and a pocket knife? Much slower, but more gentle. If the old brush has a knot in then trim off the old bristle. Next dig out the plug of glue that held the knot in the handle. It's that easy! It's not easy. Good idea to use tape to protect the handle from stray tool strikes. Maybe a heavy leather work glove to avoid puncture wounds. This is all just getting the old knot out.
    two.gif

AlDm, Hodge, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

A Caliper (pictured above) is the tool for measuring the inside of the handle. Metrics rule when ordering replacement knots. You can purchase "loose" knots - just the knot ready to glue in, or buy a whole brush and harvest the knot. I've used both kinds. In the photo above that is a Maggard's Sunrise synthetic knot. The other way to go is to buy a brush because you like the bristles and get the goodies out with out doing damage to the part you want to keep. It means trashing the handle. Here is the knot removed from a brand new Omega Pro #10098 to be installed in a Rubberset 400 replica.
    Image 4.gif

AlDm, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  4. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

That looks like a lot of work, which I don’t mind. I also don’t mind being a slow process. Thank you for the advice. I don’t want to damage to handle at all. The more I search forums I see more DIY restoration projects going and think back at things I have passed up at flea markets and such. This opens new doors for me.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

You're in for a real treat, and definitely came to the right group of folks for info on your question! Start by going through past posts on brush restorations here in the brush forum and soon I'm sure some of the members known for brush restorations will be weighing in . Notables include@ RyX, who has already responded, @jimjo1031 and @Enrico. These guys have brought back some pretty sad cases with patience and attention to detail. Go through the Brush forums and you'll be impressed for sure. I have purchased some @jimjo1031 restorations, including Evereadys and they're some of my favorite brushes. I enjoy making my own one of a kind brushes and respect the things these guys go through to restore some. Its a lot of fun seeing their projects. Have fun and good luck!

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes, these two guys have it figured out. Look for their threads.

7. brit

brit in a box

i own 2 brushes @Enrico has restored and he does fabulous work.. @jimjo1031 restores some unique brushes and does beautiful work, does razor cases as well. Jayaruh builds awesome handles from scratch..lots of cool people and help here..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

That’s why I turn to you guys so much. There are some nice restorations and customs out there.

AGHisBBS, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you use power tools, don’t forget eye protection.

AGHisBBS, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  10. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

The new local from Huntington Beach did a you tube video about his restoration process

AlDm, brit, Birdie and 2 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I’ve done a few Ever Ready brushes that I’ve posted on my thread, so I’ll try to answer your questions the best I can.

As for size it can vary from model, but if you’re speaking of the red and white 150, 100, 79, C40, and there my be more numbers; those are about 21mm. That said I usually bore them out to 22 - 24mm. Ebay is a good source for knots, along with a variety of vendors online. To remove the old one I use a pair of scissors to cut down the old knot and drill it out with a hand drill. I follow that up with a Dremel, but be sure to protect the handle with electrical tape. @RyX is right it’s that easy and it’s not; your first few can be a learning experience so don’t start on a family heirloom because mistakes can and do happen.
    PM me if you have any other questions.

AGHisBBS, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for linking the video @Joewa!

Member @Kensurfs recently joined TSD and will appreciate the Views!

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

It is red and black with 300PBT on the bottom. I got it in a lot of razors and blades. I will take my time with it for sure. It may not have much value or meaning but that doesn’t mean I want to screw it away either.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That is a brush that has a pure badger knot in it. It looks like this one.

300pbt-2_1.jpg

Though the tuxedo style Ever Ready brush in not unusual; your particular brush would have been a higher model and valued more due to the badger knot. In that particular model I've set a 22-24mm knot. It would be appropriate to set a nice badger knot, but I've been known to set beautiful synthetic knots that look amazing as well.

Kensurfs, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

cool videos..

16. brit

brit in a box

nice brush..

17. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

i see some of the restored brushes people are doing. What is with putting BB's or some kind of wieght in the bottom?

brit, Enrico and RyX like this.
  18. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Great video. It will be a good weekend.

brit and RyX like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's mostly a personal preference. Some handles are so light weight because they are hollow. Some people prefer a heftier handle, something with more weight.

brit, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Older brushes tend to be smaller diameter and/or shorter loft. I see and have done it myself - installing a larger than original replacement knot. Having more weight in the handle might make them more stable when sitting knot up with a load of lather.