Unscrupulous Ebay Sellers/Buyers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just thought I would share a little on a "Maher & Grosh" razor, a seller has listed. Upon first glance it looks like a nicely done restored, big blade Straight Razor. But, after about two seconds, I could tell it is a reground "Shorty". The seller advertises it as "In Like New Razor", in the description. I informed him of the possible problem, that he might not be aware of, and he kindly told me not to bid on any of his items, and that the razor is not reground.
    Sounds like a scammer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233134782537?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3De1433dc8ce684afca87aafc5ffce58cb%26bu%3D44163304798%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F233134782537%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3Df61c2a9f1680abc634447904ffec4fc5&ul_noapp=true

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The proportions are all wrong. Correct? Thanks for the heads-up.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: ........... I don't know straights and it looks strange to me.

:eatdrink013:

4. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

He is conveniently hiding the toe of the razor, those scales are not original and looking like 2mm is missing off the toe. The faces of the razor are obviously not reground but the toe is definitely gone. You can also tell by the way the face of the blade meets the spine at the toe that it was not done by factory. This razor has been restored which is why he is saying “like New”. Judging by the face stamp alone you can tell the minimum amount of the edge missing as the stamps are always center and sometimes more toward the tang with extra space to the toe. The owner got lucky with this restore as it could have been worse. He’ll need a lot of luck fetching 190 on this one. The fact that he is so rude about his products he may need a lot more than luck with his pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same here. Looks off somehow

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If that's what it is, and he declared it honestly, do you think someone would bid on it just for the novelty? Or would it actually be useful?

Billyfergie, brit and CastleShave like this.
  7. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

It is useful but the risk of all of this is if the temper is gone from the procedure. I would dodge this item altogether. I have purchased razors in the past where temper was gone. So I no longer attempt modified razors. At that price I don’t see this moving until an uneducated person falls in love with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puma, Paul76, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

By Temper, do you mean grinding it down would have heated it to the point where the metal is affected? I have no interest in straights myself but have nothing against them, I'm just always curious whenever dubious eBay listings pop up

Keithmax, Billyfergie, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

With the off-center logo and all, it reminds me of some of the posts I've seen where people have rescued damaged razors by removing various bits of steel. I suppose the seller might have obtained it that way, but doesn't need to be arrogant, then. Avoid!

gorgo2, BlaydRunner, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Good information. I keep looking at eBay for cheap razors for practicing bevel setting and honing, but I am very cautious with it. It is often hard to tell if there are small chips or cracks in a blade just from pictures. Fortunately I am not in any hurry to add too the collection.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

11. brit

brit in a box

first look--blade looks too short, but i don't own any at present, the writing isn't centered in the blade like usual..

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I also don’t go for ‘restored’ razors unless I know or am familiar the seller. I’ve only had one razor that alpears untempered, and it wasn’t restored.

That said, $190 for a shorty repair job on an ordinary razor is not anything that I’d even be remotely interested in, but it isn’t the worst that’s seen on eBay. SRP has a running thread called ‘The Wall of Shame’, and it really is true to its title - lol.

https://sharprazorpalace.com/auction-talk-ebay-etc/113447-wall-shame-183.html

Cheers, Steve

13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

While I don't use straights I appreciate the honesty and you looking out for the community @DaltonGang .

14. DaltonGang

Thanks. I just got a message from him and he said he changed the description, but disagrees with my observations. I didnt see any real changes. With a seller like that, I wouldn't trust anything he sells.

BlaydRunner, Paul76, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  15. BigMark83

Now that I looked at the item I have to say you'd have be a fool to not notice anything wrong.

16. BigMark83

I had a seller I bought my pre war tech and new SC from that kept denying my bids claiming he was new, and it was a pain. I finally got both of them, but I'm not buying from him again.
    Edit-I forgot to mention that they were both NOS, if not for that I wouldn't have bought them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    BlaydRunner, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6555F4C4-9368-48C3-8BDF-9AF2036EC148.jpeg

And then there’s just plain ol’ nonsense, also a shorty ....

18. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Wall of shame makes for some interesting reading.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm no expert, but the logo seems pretty damn close to the edge, sorta off center.

20. DaltonGang

It is. That's what the first tell was.