How I Rank the KARVE Plate-E VS. Game Changer .84-P

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bigwaverazor, Feb 16, 2019.

1. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

20190216_133216.jpg This is my ranking after using and owning these two razors. Up front, both are outstanding! In the KARVE, I own plates B, C, D, E, and F with (2) heads and handles. I'm only comparing plate-E to the GC .84-P. However, I'd give the same marks to the KARVE plate-F. As in a specific shave, the Game Changer has given me the best head shave, so far, in terms of BBS. Both razors get me to BBS, with face shaving, with a higher risk of a nick with the Game Changer. I've tested this in a traditional 3-pass pattern, as well as WTG, ATG, ATG pattern. Your opinions may differ! With a slightly higher price but higher quality and versatility, I'd steer a friend to the KARVE razor over the GC. The handle knurling on the KARVE is impeccably perfect, as good as any $200-$300 razor. Being able to change plates is a plus for owning a KARVE. The KARVE is made at the quality of a Timeless or an Above the Tie razor for a fraction of the price, approximately $100. The KARVE remains my favorite and recommendation!!!

UPDATE (March 13, 2019): I still have an endearing love for the KARVE, BUT I'm actually getting slightly better shaves from the Game Changer. As smooth as my KARVE plate-C but with the efficiency of the Plate-F. Both are outstanding!!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Ron R, brit, DesertTime and 1 other person like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Actually, you can also get a .68 plate for the GC. I have both but prefer the .68. Still not as versatile, but there is an option.
    Nice comparison. I like the way you provide a numeric rating, side-by-side.

Ron R, brit and johnnyflake like this.
  3. bigwaverazor

From what I'm seeing on the website and others, I was under the impression that the .68 has been discontinued indefinitely????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ron R, brit and BigMark83 like this.
  4. DesertTime

Didn't know that. From what I've read, many people like the .68. I guess i have guard mine carefully.

Ron R and brit like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Yessir. I exchanged emails with Joe at IB and he told me they are just making the .84. I was seriously bummed out because I really wanted the .68.

Ron R and brit like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very good comparison break down of the two razors IMO, I have a Razorock Game changer .84 and it's alright. I like lather grooves on a safety bar and Karve has that and Game Changer should also.
    I'm happy with my GC .84 razor mid to slightly mid mild razor that was MFG with great care and accuracy. Karve will be out with their version of SS soon and they have the know how to give a nice razor to clients of their brand. Machining Stainless is a ornery metal to get finishes of mirror reflection quality and can be hard on tooling from my experiences. Razorock knocked the finish of stainless to a whole new level in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    bigwaverazor and brit like this.
  7. BigMark83

I know I'm going to get flak for this, but, what number on a Slim would you compare this to?

BamaT and brit like this.
  8. DesertTime

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

On either notch side of 4-5-6 on my slim should get you in the ball park IMO for the GC.84.

BamaT, BigMark83 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

between 5 and 6

BamaT and BigMark83 like this.
  11. BigMark83

The .84 my friend?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

yes..if the .84 is referring to blade gap. DesertTime posted a good chart here with all the gaps for gillettes..

BigMark83 likes this.
  13. BigMark83

I know. The thing about that is blade reveal/exposure and I'd imagine angle plays a factor as well.

14. BigMark83

By personal experience or by gap?

Ron R likes this.
  15. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I have the A.60 ,B .70 and C .85 plates on the Karve and both .68 and .84 GC plates. I get a better shave with the GC than the Karve. Both are great razors though. YMMV and all that, but I would steer a close friend to the 6s over either.

brit likes this.
  16. bigwaverazor

I agree, my KARVE can't compete with the GC .84 with plates B or C, in terms of efficiency. However, with plates E and F, the razors become much more similar! The KARVE remains just a tab smoother, too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  17. bigwaverazor

My KARVE OC plates will be here in a few days. I had a fantastic shave the other day with the GC .84 using an Eddison Israeli blade. I really like both razors!!!
    If anyone has noticed...ha,ha... RazoRock is almost completely sold out of the .84-P, only having the configuration with the head matted to the Super Knurl. Since I like the Weber handle better and ordered a few extra of them, I ordered a 2nd Game Changer .84-P. I don't know what I'll do with the 2 Super Knurl handles but I wanted the .84 heads in case RazoRock decides to not restock the .84-p, like what has been experienced with the .68 head. Rumor has it that maybe they are coming out with a 1.05 instead. The KARVE and GC .84-p both ROCK!
    :git:

brit likes this.
  18. bigwaverazor

UPDATE (March 13, 2019): I still have an endearing love for the KARVE, BUT I'm actually getting slightly better shaves from the Game Changer. The GC is as smooth as my KARVE plate-C but with the efficiency of the Plate-F. Both razors are outstanding and rule my den!!! Lately, I've been using a Gillette Nacet in the Game Changer with brilliant results.

Zed117 and brit like this.
  19. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Hard to beat those two. My modern razor rotation has the Karve and GC, as well as the 6s and Rex. Everything else besides a few vintage Gillettes is gone now. Amazing razors in the last few years.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    brit likes this.
  20. bigwaverazor

Totally agree, Zed

We have some really great razors here!!!! You can't go wrong with any of these. I have almost the complete Karve set and (2) complete Game Changer .84-p razors. :happy093:

brit and Zed117 like this.