FROM THE WILD, vintage razors recently purchased or inherited...!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Sep 25, 2018.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I passed up the tech, I passed up a poor-shape and possibly mismatched khaki set, a great but pricey ever-ready, a $110 fatboy that I really should have checked for a red dot, and even a $20 Slim, but I just couldn't say no to an Aristocrat Jr.

Needs some polishing, and the mechanism is a bit tight, but should turn out well.

[​IMG]

dmshaver, RyX, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very nice score..

mvd likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I believe the Razor you bought is a British Rocket or Parat, I have a couple of them and they are a good razor if in good working order. It's the British version of a Super Speed, the American version looks similar but has a hollow handle or you can see the nut assembly from the bottom. I also have the American version and they are so identical looking, but I like the British version a little more because it seems a little more aggressive IMO.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Edison Carter, mvd and brit like this.
  4. Darlenep

Darlenep New Member

[​IMG] Hi there! Found this razor in the way back of an old cupboard in the house we bought. I see similar ones posted in here but would love someone to tell me succinctly what the heck it is. One thread I was reading here went waaay over my head with 1912 being made in the 30s or in 1919...lol
    I appreciate any information you can give me including what blade to look for. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Enrico, dmshaver, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

6. Darlenep

Darlenep New Member

Thanks. It's heavy! It's really classy looking. I would love to know more about it.

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

someone who knows will chime in shortly.. many SE guys here..

8. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell it is an "Improved Ever-Ready" which began production in the 1930s. We refer to it as a "1912" because it is a reintroduction of the 1912 Gem Damaskeene under the Ever-Ready brand.

I could be wrong, but this is my best guess.

Forgot to add that it is under the American Safety Razor Company (ASR)

20190217_214307.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Enrico, Darlenep and brit like this.
  9. Darlenep

Darlenep New Member

Thank you!!!

brit likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice find and that razor is very good to use after a little clean up. Sometimes you will see a date code stamped where the handle screws into the head 1912 or 1914 and that will help you find more information, the razor was so successful for its time and performance with a new GEM Personna SS PTFE coated blade makes it even shine better. IMO you should use that razor if you are into traditional shaving.
    Here's a little more information on performance http://thecloseshave.com/ever-ready_1912_razor_review/
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. Darlenep

Darlenep New Member

Great information, thank you so much

Ron R and brit like this.
  12. John Warr

John Warr Member

A recent "bag". The Valet blade was in the bakelite Rolls Razor blade case I found on Sunday. The Gilette 195 dates from 3q 1967 and is my current go-to shave (although I still keep the Ever-Ready by the basin). I gave £5 for it at an antique market. There was an Ever-Ready (1912 pat) with it but it was not in as good a condition as the two I already have, so it stayed there :)
    The strop & the strait razor are items I mentioned in an earlier post. I suppose I must now hunt down an Autostrop to go with the blade...
    DSC_4330A.JPG DSC_4334A.JPG DSC_4331A.JPG

dmshaver, mvd, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have an NOS VC4 if you're interested. Let me know.
    IMG_9265.jpeg IMG_9266.jpeg IMG_9267.jpeg

Tedolph, Enrico, dmshaver and 6 others like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

It is a great shaver!

Tedolph, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  15. John Warr

John Warr Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good luck!

Hembree likes this.
  17. John Warr

John Warr Member

Thanks - it looks quite nice. I don't suppose you have a PDF of the instructions do you ?

Attached Files:

jimjo1031, RyX and Hembree like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check in Member @jimjo1031's thread -> HERE.

I think that is a Slim. The 195 - Fat Boy was made from 1958 to 1961.
    I had a copy of a chart but keep misplacing it. It's from a member at B&B, but posted at The Shave Nook -->HERE.

brit and Ron R like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Excellent information, Thanks!

RyX likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

brit, RyX and Hembree like this.