Fatip Piccolo review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by matthewoli98, Feb 25, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I was so excited to give the fatip piccolo a try, and i was even more excited to find out that this razor dini sent me was an open comb.

Ever since i started wet shaving, open comb razors have fascinated me. All my other razors,(the lions and aristocrat) are closed comb razors so i was very excited to try out an open comb.

After doing some research i discovered that the piccolo is rated very high on the aggressiveness scale, which isnt a problem, because i tend to prefer more aggressive razors.

I paired the fatip with one of the derby blades dini from the master shave forum sent me, because I've heard that derbys are very smooth and not quite as sharp as something like the legendary feathers and blades like the 7 o'clock sharp edge.

And i have to say, it absolutely blew me away.
    Im able to get a bbs shave way quicker with the open comb aggressive piccolo than with my aristocrat,, and the fatip piccolo has now become my favourite razor. When i begin testing some of the sharper blades ill pair those with the aristocrat for the first shaves or so, but the piccolo is absolutely fantastic.

I have noticed however that if you arent careful when screwing on the handle it is possible for your blade alignment to differ from side to side. This is due to the pins on the head not being precisely the same diameter as the holes on the base plate.

The quick fix to eliminating this problem is to put the head with the blade in on a towel, put on the base plate and slowly screw on the handle, doing this takes about five seconds, but the blade alignment is perfect every time and much better than tightening the top cap on by hand.

Overall this razor offers value for money that cannot be beat, and my next razor will definitely be another fatip piccolo matched with the new less aggressive head to give it a try. Heck, i might buy one with the old head as well as one with the new head just because i love this razor so much!!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I do not own a Fatip but they are a great looking razor.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. matthewoli98

If you like agressive razors id highly recommend picking one up. Genuine good quality razor! If you prefer more mild razors theres a new v2 head called the "gentile" the open comb head is known as the v1.

Frijolero and Yehuda D like this.
  4. Hembree

Thanks I may have to get one later on. I have a lot in the "sandbox" to play with right now if you know what I mean. I have been foucusing on SE shaves this month and going through about 10 different SE razors.

5. matthewoli98

Nice! I saw a Schick se when i picked up the aristocrat, unfortunately only one place stocks blades here, so i didnt buy it, wish i had though.

6. Hembree

I have one Schick but I have been working through Gems this month. This is my little Gem collection. 20190203_093318.jpg

CrustyCat, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  7. matthewoli98

Awesome collection! My jealousy is tangible

Yehuda D, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  8. Hembree

Once you start down the rabbit hole they ain't no going back.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  9. matthewoli98

Agreed!

Frijolero, Yehuda D and Hembree like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Blade choice is somewhat limited for injectors as compared to DE razors. Schick brand in the yellow packages are available from many dealers, and made in China. Many users call them "Chicks" for that reason. Because the blades are made of a slightly thicker steel they tend to give a couple more shaves than a thinner DE blade.

Vintage Schick razors may sell at low prices because they aren't as well know as Gillette DE type razors. There are many varieties produced over a long span of years. The oldest tend to be more aggressive than the more recent. Here is a resource to get an idea when the Schick injector was made.

11. matthewoli98

Only one shop here stocks injector blades, the Gem blades i believe, thanks for the info!

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Actually there are two versions of the open comb head; the early version is usually referred to as Mk1 or V1, and the current version as Mk2 or V2. The Gentile is a different head design.

You can check the baseplate of the open comb razor to see if you have a V1 or V2 head; the V2 does have a Fatip logo inprinted.

13. matthewoli98

Ohhh

Frijolero, Yehuda D and Hembree like this.
  14. matthewoli98

Fatip only mentions one kind of open comb head on their website and the gentile as the second.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. matthewoli98

But yes you are correct, however the main difference is apparently the top cap that differs between the v1 and v2

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Look for the old style box . German distributor on eBay still has some.[​IMG]

Frijolero, RyX, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  17. matthewoli98

Nice, ill measure my head tomorrow to figure out which i have, i got the razor in a PIF, so I never saw the box but ill figure it out by measuring the head width

Frijolero, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Much easier; look at the underside of the base plate. Unless someone messed with the razor; the one with the stamped base plate also comes with the new top cap design.

Yehuda D, DiggaDog, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Glad to see such shaving enthusiasm from a youngster!

20. matthewoli98

Im probably the only South African wetshaver under the age of 30.

CrustyCat, RyX, Yehuda D and 6 others like this.