TSD Fundraising Idea that may have just fizzled

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Missing Lynx, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

I was pulling one of one of my favorite stoneware mugs from the dishwasher last night and for the first time and noticed it had the makers website on the bottom. Curious, I went out and looked and saw that they do stoneware with custom logo's on the side. Excited, I went to the TSD store to contact the Queen and alas the store is closed. I personally wouldn't mind a Shave Den Mug, but I don't know if anyone else would. Here is an image from their custom side, maybe if there is enough interest we could put an order together and donate the profits to the site. We would need permission to use the logo of course. I know B&B did/does branded brushes, but I can't drink from an awesome shaving brush at work. I was thinking mugs specifically but maybe someone has a better idea. Would need to narrow down the model and color since I don't know if there is a minimum order per type of piece.

upload_2019-2-27_15-50-21.png

Edit: Random spelling and Punctuation

Shaver X, macaronus, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

That would be a matter for JoAnna @Queen of Blades. ;)

Paul Turner, brit, mvd and 2 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I have two of their tankard style mugs from my local coffee roaster. They are great (hefty!) cups (altho I find it best to pre-warm them) and are also oven safe.

macaronus, brit, mvd and 3 others like this.
  4. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I could see grabbing a branded stein or mug. Actually, it would be interesting if we could chose the branded item somehow. Love this idea!

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like the idea.

:eatdrink013:

Paul Turner, mvd and brit like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I looked at the website, specifically an 18 ounce cereal bowl that might work to make lather. Minimum quantity - 24.

If that's the case of The Logo on your choice on one style of product, in one color, with a minimum order size... You are into setting up a Group Buy, or someone will have to invest their money and hope to sell 23 pieces. It could work!
    Richard - is the coffee shop logo a ceramic glazed finish? You mentioned "oven safe".

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The whole mug is glazed. The background of the logo as well as the bottom of the cup are matte but sealed. And then the lettering on the logo is glossy.

RaZorBurn123, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

So from a ceramics project in high school art circa 1977 I'm guessing the maker has fired the ceramic once and it's ready for glaze application and another firing. Or it may be "green" and can still be engraved or textured around the logo area prior to 1st firing, glaze application, & 2nd firing.

Assuming the smallest batch is their 12 piece set all the same shape, color, and logo with a retail price of $300 gives a unit price of $$25. That's about the same as an individual order of one mug of your choice at $22.95 - $32.95. No discount for the small (12 piece) batch.

I don't think anyone would be economically damaged or offended should a person have the TSD logo done on a single mug, Joanna's option there. Should someone wish to arrange the purchase of a batch with presold units (a Group Buy) with the idea of including additional funds for dispersal shipping and to benefit TSD, a Group Chat can be formed to move forward pending @Queen of Blades approval.

@Missing Lynx, this is your conception. I'll wait until Official approval or otherwise happens. From that point are you interested in carrying this baby? If not a surrogate mother may step in. :)

macaronus, Frijolero and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

(whispers to Keith @Enrico - Popcorn? :eatdrink047:)
    Archer asks the CT question.gif

11. Missing Lynx

Since I am new and not well known, I would rather a member with more history and perceived reliability be the point person. If it takes off then in the future I would be happy to assist with the option of taking over if necessary.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I understand. If speculative investments were my thing I'd consider the venture. As it is there is already a program in place that seems to keep the servers running and offers quite a bit of entertainment value.

Frijolero and Missing Lynx like this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Permission granted for the stated purpose.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Frijolero, Edison Carter and richgem like this.
  15. Missing Lynx

ok, so now all we need is a point person, people to start sharing on their favorite Facebook and other social media /shaving forums that we are doing this. We drive up interest, increase membership and buy larger batches at reduced prices so more can be donated to the den. :happy093:

Did someone say Kickstarter? ROFLMAO

Frijolero likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sure, it's a process. Or it could be a "happening". Sometimes a spontaneous event comes together and occurs just once. I've seen and participated in more of those than annual back to back Limited Edition runs.

Arlo Guthrie had a theory about this kind of thing. If you've got eighteen minutes and twenty seconds to listen to a story click HERE. Long story & song short (and edited for current politically correct ideals), "You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick, and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both odd and they won't take either of them and three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in, singing a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends, they may thinks it's a movement! And that's what it is..."

Frijolero likes this.
  17. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

@RyX or others, how does a group buy work? One person to collect orders and money and then place it?

I am guessing money would be by paypal like in the classifieds?

Also, would we need a logo file to send to the company?

A start might be attaching a survey here to see how many people would like a coffee mug or what. Anyhow, these are my thoughts.

Cheers,
    Mark

macaronus, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  18. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

If folks put in an extra bit of money, we could buy extra to donate to the raffle.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Some forums have officially sponsored group buys.

That's not what's being discussed here. I'm sharing details and history of a project that happened in The 30 Day group when we arranged a Limited Edition brush. One member made the handles, and we arranged a group buy of knots from APShaveCo. Lots of trust among a group of folks that know each other well.

For this to happen it'll need a Leader to step up and take the reins. From there a bit of trust, or someone to take a financial risk. I'll help guide, can arrange a Group PM for interested parties to have an "off the forum" chat so there's no violation of Doing Business outside of The Marketplace. Then one person writes a check to get the item made and collects payments from buyers. That's a possible scenario since this isn't a guy on his lathe and raw materials.

Much like a Razor or Soap Pass Around things can go wrong. Damage in shipping, lost or stolen hardware or funds. But if it's done right lots of happy people.

Since JoAnna has given limited permission for the TSD logo to be used, any one member may go solo and move ahead with theirs. If someone wants to plop down $300 for a dozen I'd think he might list unsold units in
    The Marketplace.

Here's something to look into. Does anyone know a hobbyist potter? If the upfront cost was lower, there'd be more room for a break even/mark up/donation to the forum.

brit and mvd like this.
  20. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Just found this thread.
    So I am still good to go to order a single mug?

Do we have design we are limited to?

I suppose it would be:

[​IMG]

In some form.
    I thought about moving the brush, razor part under the name to fit on a the coffee mug.
    Or was anyone still trying for the group thing?

RyX likes this.