Gold Dollar from classic shaving.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by wchnu, Feb 28, 2019.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey guys. I am not up on straights these days. My Boss wants to get her husband a straight for his Birthday. Classic Shaving has a Gold Dollar for $36 with free unlimited sharping. Will this do for a starter razor? A glance at the BST here did not show any straights for sale.

brit, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

A Properly Honed Gold Dollar is what I Learned to Shave with...The Recent Classic Models are Great Shavers..I have One in My Own Collection..They have a Very Robust Edge & Hard to Bugger Up when Learning...Thats Me Talkin Mind...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Frijolero, gorgo2, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll second what Billy says. If you look back a couple of days, I have one posted in the straight razor shave of the day.

Frijolero, gorgo2, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sometimes the gold dollars need some modification for the spine being too thick or for the shoulder. I have a modified one and it is,a good razor. Check with them to see if they take care of the shoulder.

gssixgun, Frijolero and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

6. oscar11

The one I posted a pic of did need a little work but not much. The scales on the razor are over built kinda like some of the new German razors but more so. It does shave good, real good, a matter of fact.

Keithmax, Frijolero and Billyfergie like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey thanks guys! I will look at the links!

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Keithmax and oscar11 like this.
  9. oscar11

Temptation, I deal with it daily. More if I hang around shaving forums.:sad027:

Frijolero, Billyfergie, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:

Billyfergie and oscar11 like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ain't it the truth?

Terry, Billyfergie and oscar11 like this.
  12. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

I agree with Billy and Oscar. I dont have a GD but two ZY, 430 and monkey tail
    Both without shoulder and great spine and edge.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Frijolero, Billyfergie and wchnu like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Frijolero and Billyfergie like this.
  15. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I bought a Gold Dollar 208 set from Classic shaving (actually it was one of their affiliated sites), and this was my gateway drug into straights. I want to say I paid about $48 with shipping. It came with a beginner's synthetic strop, tin of Blades Grim Soap, and a synthetic brush. I still use the brush, and I still use the soap as part of my regular rotation. The strop got sliced as a casualty of my learning curve on proper stopping technique.

I have since "graduated" from the GD razor, and I have over a dozen straights. The GD does not hold its edge nearly as long as something like a Dovo or other well-established brand. But it will shave just as well with a fresh edge. The GD is what I used to practice and learn the basics of honing. They are truly a PAIN to hone because of the lack of precision on the grind and non-uniformity on the spine.

All things considered, A GD razor is a good way for someone to try straights without a big investment. If they like it, they will soon find themselves investing in a better one.

A note on vendors: Luke Webster, owner of Classic shaving, is considered by some to be the "Prince of Darkness" of the wet shaving world. I definitely find some of his past business practices questionable and some of his marketing deceptive to a newbie. But there are still some good values to be found on his sites. The Etsy vendor that some have mentions, Strike Gold Shave, is extremely reputable. His soaps are also well-regarded. Notice in the description of his razors, he notes "TOE AND HEEL ARE TRIMMED FOR PROPER HONING". This takes care of most (but not all) of the issues that make GD razors difficult to hone.

So if your boss wants to go the Gold Dollar route for her hubby, I'd recommend buying from Strike Gold. Then search Amazon for a strop from "Garos Goods" (3" wide pure leather for $20).

Sorry for the long-winded reply, and good luck!!

Rob

Billyfergie and Frijolero like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

When there is that much information in a post you make make it as long as you like. Thank you for that!

Billyfergie, Frijolero and rs_776 like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    I heard you have to pre-soak the Gold Dollar razors...

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey!! None of THAT!!!

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    You are SO predictable...:happy102: