February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jim!
    Thanks Andrew! Do you have it with the second label?
    Gingers Garden Acqua di Florida new label.gif

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 27

Razor - 1955 (A4) Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Brush - Jayaruh #312
    Post - Alum

Next to the last shave for February. This month disappeared FAST! Winter weather advisory for tonight and tomorrow so we know it's not Spring yet - but we're closer than we were a month ago! I decided that Iced Pineapple soap from Stirling would be appropriate for a cold weather advisory. Get me in the mood for it. With the JR312 faux horse brush - easy and luxurious lather. Love the way the fake horse feels. Hard to tell the difference from the real thing.

The Red Tip performed splendidly tonight. I was spot on the angle at the first stroke and never looked back. I can see why these razors were popular. The extra weight gives them a hefty feel and the added few thousandths of an inch of gap adds some effectiveness. I'm struggling with how to classify this razor. It isn't mild, but isn't really aggressive either, when compared to the Fatip, 1918, R41, etc. So, in the spirit of the mattress world where you have things like "cushion firm" or "luxury firm" or the ever ambivalent "medium firm", I think this razor would be "mildly aggressive". Or "aggressively mild". Take your pick. Whatever the correct term, it is a great little shaver and once again I'm glad to have found it.

Three passes to the baby and we're one shave away from March. Speaking of that - the new 30DC thread will be up in an hour or so, most likely, for those who just can't wait. Have a great night and a better Thursday!

February 27 2019.jpg

Paul76, Trigger, Hembree and 16 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's like hearing someone speak Spanish. I can mimic the sounds, but the vocabulary doesn't connect to concepts.

I had a conversation with Dad about gasoline with or without added alcohol. For a few minutes I understood the long chain hydrocarbon versus smaller alcohol molecule oxidation / combustion power generation ratios in relation to at the pump price per gallon. The silly thing is it takes more energy to make alcohol from corn than we get burning it. I think...

Paul76, Trigger, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

When I met my Bride, she had a Sylvania console TV like this one from the late 70's. Yes, it was a Super Set, and no, you were not supposed to open the little door (with the key supplied with your Super Set) below the channel knob and mess with the color controls. We didn't have cable when we first got married, so we had 5 channels using the antenna. There were a couple other snowy UHF channels, but they were educational TV so they didn't count. We kept this TV into the 1990s. The cabinet top made a nice spot for the VCR to sit...and then we had remote control! I kinda miss it actually. TV was cool back then. I can watch at least 3257 channels on my phone or laptop...and I can't find a single show that compares to Barney Miller, Cheers, or Seinfeld.
    1.jpg

5. wristwatchb

Great news, Clint. I'm glad you're feeling better. Good idea to see the doc just to be sure. :)

6. wristwatchb

Happy 80th birthday to your Dear Mom, Randy!

7. wristwatchb

Beautiful set up, Mark. Congrats on finishing the Cheshire! Is this a soap you'd buy again?

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you swooped in and gave that beautiful unit a home Neal!

I've heard the term "Extra Medium". For the guy who thinks size matters, doesn't want to be plain old regular nor large. If I mentioned Dada's shirt in Friday After Next I'm not sure who would get the reference.

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

My grandpa owned a t.v. repair business from 1950 until 1982. I have moved more of those t.v.s than I care to.
    I'd rather take a double reclining sofa with a sleeper bed in it up 4 flights of stairs in the blistering heat than to ever have to move another one of those.

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Congrats on finishing it off, Mark!

11. wristwatchb

You had a strenuous job, for sure. It was cool, though, that these TVs could actually be repaired. I had to move the sweet old Sylvania a few times. It always took two guys, and we could sing three octaves lower than normal for about a week afterwards.

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks guys. The downside of flying when still a little sick, is pain in the ears. My right one still hasn’t cleared. I just took some Benadryl and am going to crash. Have a nice evening.

Hembree, Linuxguile, Trigger and 9 others like this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Then I guess the parents share some blame. I wouldn’t set my kid up for that kind of disappointment. I’m glad you guys showed up. Your girls look like sweeties.

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I can empathize. My dad repaired them in his spare time. Naturally, his workshop was in the basement. So yeah, I helped haul my share of console sets up and down the basement stairs.

Trigger, Hembree, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The last day of February looms large! For those around the world or the early birds who just can't wait.....HERE'S MARCH!!!

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

A couple decent shaves:

Tuesday morning February 26

Rockwell 6s on plate 3 / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (4)
    APShaveCo Flat Top synthetic brush
    B&M Tuesday lavender violet soap
    Alum and TSD Vanilla milk aftershave

Wednesday night February 27

PAL Adjustable injector on middle of dial / Schick Platinum Plus vintage blade (1)
    Vlasta T-400 aluminum with 24mm two-band badger knot
    Stirling Coniferous soap sample
    Alum and Stirling Coniferous splash sample

The usual good two-pass shave with the Rockwell 6s on Tuesday for an irritation-free DFS. I binned the blade afterwards although it didn't seem too bad yet.

Tonight it was an effortless BBS with the injector in two passes. Alum was a bit warm in spots though. The Coniferous soap and AS set left me feeling ready to go out and chainsaw a forest.

I will get one more February shave in tomorrow.

Trigger, jtspartan, Hembree and 12 others like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I don't much about chemistry, but this is true. Of course thermo dynamics never seem to matter to politicians.

Trigger, Hembree, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Mountain Man is an aisle 12 favorite!

Trigger, Hembree, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 28, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: vintage Personna Ultra Chrome
    Razor: Schick I1
    Brush: jtspartan Tuxedo flat top synthetic
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    Post: Witch hazel, Jeeves of Hudson Street Tobacco Bay Leaf aftershave

Finished off this sample of Route 66 Cavendish. Nice scent and performance. I had a few tubs of Route 66 in the past but ended up PIFing or selling them. They worked well but I had others I pulled more. Found this sample in the back of the cabinet and put it to use recently. Now I need the container for a TSD soap from the last raffle, so I finished it off. Nice shave all around.

Good grief this month flew by! I finished off the alphabetical journey this month and then concentrated on the Route 66 sample to close out the last few days. I really enjoyed the alphabetical journey from January through this month. Taught me that I have a lot of soap and need to pare down! I'm still working on that some and may just PIF away a good bit of it.

Anyway, it's been a terrific month here and I look forward to March. Have a great day!

SOTD 2-28-19.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.