February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Well I spent a good hour and a half chatting with three of the guys that would be my future co-workers if I get the position. I got a very good feeling from my time there and am hopeful there will be a forthcoming job offer.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

That would be tough. I live about 7 miles from work.

3. Hembree

Congrats Joe!:happy108:

PLAla, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, sock puppet accounts. Cool! :git::happy093::sport026::signs136:
    (a violation of the EULA, but funny if not malicious)

Thank you Joe! I vacillate between Blue and No collar, but I get the job done.
    Didn't shave this morning but splashed on a little Shulton OS Leather cologne this morning. It's got a citrus vibe. Daughter thought it was patchouli. I like it!

PLAla, Norcalnewb, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  5. Hembree

:happy102:

PLAla, Norcalnewb, jluc and 3 others like this.
  6. Hembree

Is February over? I thought we were just getting started. It has been a blast hanging out with everyone and focusing on some SE shaves with razors that I have not used. I am not quite through with the SE shaves so that will carry over for me for a little while longer into March. To many toys in the sandbox.

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Verily, I declare unto thee: IT IS FINISHED.

With tonight's shave I reach the end of my February Rule:

Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor
    30DC brush
    Institute Karite Shea soap and balm
    One single Personna GEM SE blade

Conclusions: it wasn't always fun, but I did appreciate it. The lack of fun wasn't from any flaw in the gear, but rather my fondness for variety. This is, in fact, why I did the rule. I knew I could use every piece of this gear effectively at the start. It was more about focus and being able to see through something long term and to gauge my ability to further simplify.

Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor: this is my favorite of all of my SE razors. I got clean, close shaves consistently with it. It's easy to angle, the heft is just right, and I get blade feel without feeling like I am going to draw blood. In fact, I had not a single drop of blood shed to this razor this month. It will remain my consistent head shaver. It just seems to fit the contours of my head, and can remove a few days of growth with ease and without clogging. It would be the last see would part with, and even then would need to be pried out of my hands.

Institute Karite Shea Soap: super solid all around performer. It isn't exciting, but it was remarkably consistent. I found it easy to lather. It's a triple milled soap and hasn't looked to diminish much if at all through 28 days of face and head shaves (face shaves daily, head shaves every 3 days or so). The milk cream scent is mild and inoffensive. It took a couple of shaves to get a feel for the lather, but once I figured out how to dial it in, I had a slick and fairly moisturizing lather that got me quick easy glide even if it didn't feel overly dense. No irritation, clean smell. If you don't like talc, powder or milk cream, then don't bother. But if you find them clean scents as I do, it's pleasant.

Institute Karite Balm: weird consistency out of the bottle. Does not take much AT ALL. Once applied, I found it to absorb quickly with no greasy feeling. Smells very similar to the soap, and the scent fades fairly quickly. I found it calming and effective.

30DC brush: PFFFFT. Need I say more? My favorite.

Personna GEM blade. It made it the entire 28 days of head and face shaves with no rust and it has more shaves in it. It's a remarkable value and the only SE blade I want to buy moving forward. Full disclosure: most of my shaves are single pass, with the grain. I shave daily, and do not have overly coarse hair. One pass gets me close and clean and helps keep irritation to a minimum. It works for me, and I am sure that contributed to the longevity of the blade.

I'll be enjoying a non-focused focus in March, but look forward to enjoying this gear in rotation. This focus has further affirmed that I am pretty well over my SAD for the time being and I look forward to really enjoying the collection I have more fully.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

It was a good month Folks. I got 15 shaves in so no where near my target of 6 shave per week. No stress using familiar DE's and some good time on my newest - a Yaqi DOC with a fine vintage Gillette handle. Since soap, brush, and AS were spur of the moment they always pleased.

Fifty Eight hundred posts :happy036:

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 28

Razor - 1955 (A4) Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Blood on Steel 30DC LE Soap by Jeeves
    Brush - 30DC LE Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Let's get February in the rear view mirror. It's been a fun month of favorites and I could use them forever, but time to move on. I finished off with the Red Tip and Voskhod and got another shave in with the Jeeves Blood on Steel, lather courtesy of the LE brush. Great pairing for a great lather and three passes brought the baby for the perfect finish. I've really enjoyed spending a month with my favorite gear, including this razor which I added during the month. It will remain in my den and take its rightful place as a favorite.

March begins tomorrow - or I'm sure already has in the land of @Keithmax . Thanks one and all for another FANTASTIC month around here and I can't wait to see all of you - and all of the next crop of newbies in March!

February 28 2019.jpg

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Excellent way to end the month and congrats on finishing the Rule!! I have the same problem as you - variety is the spice of life so a rule, or even blade trials, can get tedious. It's still a great way to learn something new and really get it down. You've earned a no-focus Focus March.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

WAY over the record for a February. One more day and we'd have made 6000. That's ok, though, because March has 31 days. We'll get there next month, I have no doubt. We just don't know when to shut up around here!!

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's interesting to see how many have put an emphasis, or at least a strong awareness, on paring down their soap collection. I'm working on an article about soaps and the current state of the industry given the number of manufacturers as compared to the number of buyers. In the four years of this thread's existence I've seen the overall attitude toward soaps change from "I can't possibly have enough" to "I can't possibly handle even one more and need to shed some". Interesting how the cycle is working.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Beautiful picture Andrew. I’m glad you got the Fat figured out.

14. mrchick

That’s what happens when your intern methane level gets too high. Don’t forget to occasionally release pressure.

15. mrchick

Good luck!

16. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

A conclusion to the "German" theme rule that served me for the month. The Merkur 34G is an outstanding razor. It never failed to deliver a perfect shave. Tabac soap, well what more can be said. It's awesome in every respect including it's fabulous scent (there, I said it). I used the same Merkur blade for the whole month for roughly fifteen shaves. It is a perfectly good quality blade and after last month's use of a vintage Rexall blue carbon blade the Merkur blade felt like I was using a light sabre. I think I just might have this DE shaving thing down after more than five years at it. I really do get pretty much the same results with any choice of the main four (razor,blade,soap,brush). Now to decide what to use for March. Hmm.....? See ya over at the March thread.

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gentlemen.

18. mrchick

@clint64 I’m glad you went to the doctor. Enjoy your rest.

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Hope you get a great offer that will give you everything you need.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  20. mrchick

It’s been a busy month and I’ve had trouble keeping up with you guys. I do look forward to my daily check-ins. Thanks guys.
    [​IMG]

Linuxguile, Trigger, PLAla and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.