What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Is the Shapton 2k your usual bevel setter? Why I ask is that I tried a Chosera 1k last year and didn't like it. I switched to natural bevel setters and have been enjoying those since. Just wondering whether a higher grit synthetic would suit me more. Interested in your experiences...

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, I used a Shapton Pro 2k for a long time, the Shapton Glass HR 2k is a little faster than the Pro. The Shapton Glass 2k is likely faster than the 1k Chosera. I also use a Shapton Glass HR 4k for light bevel work on full hollow/thinly ground razors - the speed of the HR series makes them a good choice for full hollow razors because you can’t push very much on a thinly ground razor or the blade will flex and the bevels will round and not set properly. I have both a 500 and 1k HR, but they rarely get used; the 500 for Gold Dollars and chip removal/geometry correction and the 1k is usually the starter for old, hard, French razors with no bevel at all.

Cheers, Steve

3. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Very interesting - thanks!

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

The Harrington, finished on an onyx hone, Review of the stone here.
    [​IMG]

Zykris, Keithmax, Primotenore and 8 others like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

DA6A7619-E704-4A1B-BCE1-B838267DF6C0.jpeg

This is an experiment in 1-stone honing, something that’s usually mentioned with coticules, but also possible with some Japanese naturals. The stone in question is (most likely) a Nakayama that’s insanely fast (like many coticules) but also extremely fine for it’s hardness and speed. These kinds of jnats are a small percentage, but you can find them. I usually use it to transition from 4-5k to finish, but on clear water it’s extremely capable of producing a high-end razor edge.

The razor is one of my Gold Dollar test razors, and I killed the edge by lightly glassing it on the rim of a water glass, then testing to see if it would cut paper - it wouldn’t, then I felt the edge and I didn’t bleed, so the bevel is no longer set.

I began with a moderate to moderately heavy slurry raised with a 1200 grit diamond plate and gave it 60 circles and ellipses followed by 40 linear strokes flipping the blade each stroke. I then stropped 10 canvas/20 cordovan and tested by HHT to see if it would cut hair and it did, but the heel was weak - no surprise with a Gold Dollar - so back to touch up the heel.

Next I raised a moderate to moderately light slurry with a hard fine tomo nagura (slurry stone). The tomo will still raise mostly slurry from the hone, but what it contributes will be very fine. Two sets of 20 circles and ellipses followed by 40 linear strokes flipping the blade each stroke with decreasing pressure and while diluting the slurry. So I ended up with very light pressure on thin slurry. Strop and test and the edge is good.

Finally, I rinsed the hone and on clear water did 20 circles and ellipses followed by 25 linear strokes flipping the blade each stroke. I stropped 20 canvas/35 suede/65 cordovan and got an impressive HHT. So that’s 1-stone honing on a jnat, shave tomorrow.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    brit, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Honed My Newly Acquired NOS FW. Engels Solingen 6/8th on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression 1 K, 3 K, 5 K, 8 K, 12 K...Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My 17 K Escher Thuri...Took a Stonker of an Edge...The Factory Grinding is 2nd to None..My Next Shave with this Beautiful Blade...:D

Billy..:chores016:

brit, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 7 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful Engels @Billyfergie - I had a 5/8 Engels and sold it and wished I hadn’t.

Cheers, Steve

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Billyfergie

:thanks:Steve..It was a Surprise when I Opened the Box..:love055:

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

And the scales are as beautiful as the blade!

Edison Carter, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Museum-quality razor. Enjoy.

11. Billyfergie

:thanks:Aye the Scales are Well Made & Gorgeous & it Would be a Good Example for Any Museum for Sure..:happy088:

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@Billyfergie - please send the razor to ‘Steve’s Razor Museum’. Thank you...

Cheers, Steve

13. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Send her too...

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Solingen razor on deck tonight.
    I assume Silberstahl was generic for type of steel and not the brand... but I’m not sure.
    Quick work on a Naniwa SS 1k, followed by the Suehiro 6k, and finished on the Thuri.
    A5814C2A-7066-4B42-BE83-578E4F9FF500.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

17. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Very lovely and classy looking straight .

18. TestDepth

Thanks Mike.

19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nice tool!
    :happy088:

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  20. TestDepth

Thank you. :eatdrink047: