Thirsty Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Preacher, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

The last few soaps that I purchased (B&M Reserve Classic and B&M Patches) have been very thirsty soaps. The require more hydration than any soap I have. When I think I have it properly hydrated, I add more water. Do you guys have any soaps that are notably thirsty and require more hydration to get a slick lather?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like thirsty soap! Kind of like thinking about how many shaves I get from each brand of DE blade, I don't keep track. It's become more of a "by feel" decision. Pushing a lather until it reaches that goopy, shiny, meringue peaks texture is my target every time. If I break the lather, just go back to the puck for a little more soap seems to fix it most times.

Looking to hear what others say, and brand specifics to help guide towards these soaps in particular.
    :happy088:

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Stirling, Tabac, and MWF can hold tons of water.

RaZorBurn123, brit, Redrock and 4 others like this.
  4. Preacher

I used Stirling's Executive Man the other day and you are right, it is thirsty.

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think nearly ALL shave soaps are "thirsty" and can handle more water than most give them credit for.

what i want to know is which soaps are not thirsty?

brit, RaZorBurn123, BigMike and 3 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Williams.

7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Stirling Glacials are very thirsty - in fact so are all of the Stirling menthol soaps.

8. Preacher

My Razorock What the Puck soaps are not thirsty at all. Neither is my Razorock The Dead Sea.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yep, Williams is not a thirsty soap to me. A touch of too much water and the lather breaks down and dissipates.

10. PLAla

I agree. To me, soaps of good and high quality should be able to take on lots of water. It allows the user to fine tune the lather experience for their liking.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When describing Williams, I've seen that "D" word used by many. (disspipates). Would it not dissipate of you just SPRINKLED water in the mug instead of, say, dunking it in with 1/4 mug filled?

brit, Redrock, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd say Stoylin(the regulars that is, not the glacials). And some others that look like they've been shaved with 10 times after just 1 shave.

brit, Redrock and Frijolero like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Did you get all three scents? I'm curious about the Blue. I'll pay more attention to Lime Burst next time I use it. It's got the triple milled hard puck form I like. There's some speculation it may be made by Tcheon Fung Sing who released a different scent/similar format soap about the same time. I don't have any experience with TFS soaps.

14. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'll chime in here if I may.
    I find Regiment Soap to be thirsty as well as well as Green Mountain Soap comapny.
    The regiment not on the same level as Stirling in regards to how much extra water it can hold.
    Green Mountain, is on the same par as regiment. They can both be over wet, but bounce back easilly enough once more soap is added.

Frijolero, Redrock and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Preacher

Actually, I gave the Blue to a friend of mine who was just getting into wet-shaving and kept the other 2. Neither the lime nor the orange scent appeal to me (they aren't bad, just not exciting) but the performance is very good, so I use them.

Frijolero, Redrock and Linuxguile like this.
  16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Would it be fair to say that all the responses in this thread so far, are people that use a mug/bowl/scuttle to lather?

When I got started here, I used a scuttle to create my lather. I did have a struggle in learning to make a useable lather.

Since I switched to face lathering exclusively, I have had zero issues creating a lather, regardless of the soap brand.

17. PLAla

I face lather exclusively.

Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Preacher

I use a bowl to lather. I have never tried face lathering and would not know where to begin. What makes it more "failsafe" than bowl lathering?

Frijolero, Linuxguile and Redrock like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I don't know that it is more failsafe, but I find it to be easier. Since I am lathering directly on my face, I can more easily tell when I get the lather right. I honestly struggle quite a bit when using my scuttle anymore.

20. Preacher

I just found a vid and face lathered after I read your post. You are right. It is easier and my shave was great (using a soap I had trouble bowl lathering). I might be a convert. The only issue was that I had lather all over the place!!!