GEM Micromatic Query

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Missing Lynx, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

I am interested in getting a Gem razor in THIS type of case. Has anyone EVER seen or owned a case like this with blade banks? Can you post a picture if you have one or a vintage ad showing them. I have checked Waits and a few other resources with no luck. I just want a "complete" set if you know what I mean.

This 1933-34 case, according to research, is shown with the wrong razor. the razor for this set is an open comb version, The clog proof was introduced in 1941.

upload_2019-2-28_15-18-23.png

Now I have seen blade banks in this style case everywhere so I know it does.

upload_2019-2-28_15-17-34.png

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Missing Lynx

Well guess I was wrong about the clog proof only, the case seems to have been recycled with the featherweight so there is no telling if they ever stopped using it.

upload_2019-2-28_15-40-30.png

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have a case like the lower one in your post but it came with a Feather Weight in it when I bought it at an antique mall. I keep one of my mmoc in it now.

Ron R, Frijolero and Missing Lynx like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have not seen a case like that with blade banks in it. That is no guarentee there never was one though.

Ron R, Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

How did you determine the first pictured case was 1933-34? Cases are hard to date but the 1934 razor boxes, perhaps some, perhaps all, carried the NRA eagle like this one. Quite possibly there were a range of cases offered of course, I haven't figured it out, there are lots and lots of cases for the MMOC over the years.
    MMOC-NRA.jpg

Ron R, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  6. Missing Lynx

Because I picked up a copy of the Waits compendium and this is what it showed from 33-34. I assumed that such a well referenced publication would know what it was talking about. The joy of being a beginner is that you take well respected reference materials at their word. LOL It was later in the publication that I saw the case connected to the featherweight.

upload_2019-3-1_9-23-15.png

Ron R, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't think all three of those cases are connected to the December 33 advert. Second those are hinged cases which don't match yours as far as I can tell.i have the brown Bakelite. Waits is very much incomplete with no specific entries for many of the years of issue.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    brit and Frijolero like this.
  8. Missing Lynx

Awesome, Thank you. Tell me, does your case have the blade banks? See this is why it is fun to learn and ask questions!

Amber Thistlewood and Frijolero like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes mine has the blade banks. [​IMG]

Frijolero likes this.
  10. Missing Lynx

Oh, you have the square looking set. I was thinking and hoping it was the art deco-ish red set I first posted about.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm not familiar with the two piece red case being packaged with the Micromatic Open Comb.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Missing Lynx

Well, trying to find Gem ads showing cases is almost next to impossible. So dating really is a luck of the safety razor ad draw on eBay and other reference sites. Not even Razor Emporium has ads and stropper.com doesn't have dates listed on the finds. Gillette made it so much easier. The challenge continues!!

13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I got a brown vinyl covered Micromatic case with a Gillette vintage once time. Any idea when those were made? My golden MMOC fits perfectly, but no idea what case is correct.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The only cased ones I had weere in a case like these. Not my pic. The ones I have now either didn't have a case or were in a cardboard one.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Missing Lynx and Ron R like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Those were called Streamline style cases and were offered in four colors to distributors in 1938.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Ron R and PanChango like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The range of sets available Christmas 1937 (including the first Streamlined case)[​IMG]

The "Marbelite" case looks to have been introduced in 1935, replacing the earlier fabric and metal and cardboard sets

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This type of case pops up every so often on Ebay........

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, this is very interesting. I did not know there was such a variety of cases for the MM.

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Those cases with the built in blade bank is cool and a neat idea. 1st time seeing one like that, although usually they are uncased either in "the wild" or on the Bay.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I guess if you're going to sell the same razor for ten years you change cases to attract attention.

Juno, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.