New improved handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

My dad has a NI razor but the handle is cracked. Does anyone know where I could get a handle for it?

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I would say to start with the possibility of repair; any pictures?

brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Have you considered an incorrect handle? Or looking for the same as it was sold? Plenty of old Gillettes kicking around, and you might find a replacement in your local antique shops.

There are a few guys that keep a drawer, box, or bucket of of spare parts on hand. As a new member of TSD (Welcome!) you can place a "Want to buy" advertisement -->HERE.

wristwatchb, Frijolero and brit like this.
  4. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I’ll post pics tomorrow after work. I may would be interested in a incorrect handle.

Frijolero, RyX and brit like this.
  5. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I've actually got a couple of stainless handles to use in place of my cracked ballend handles.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Is this a 2 piece or a 3 piece razor?

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As stated above try to repair it first. If you don't mind the crack showing, plumber adhesive or marine epoxy works well with brass in water based applications.

RyX, brit and Frijolero like this.
  8. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Here are the pics it is a Tuckaway BC11FEA5-EB1D-4A23-AFDE-3BED635BE959.jpeg BA9C922D-E283-496C-A92D-24D8E9CFF415.jpeg

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Glue it and clamp the handle while it dries. If that ball end and collar are loose might as well glue them also. Don't even worry about the excess. It is easy enough to remove afterwards. If the ends are loose glue or epoxy it from the inside of the handle first then glue the collar/ball end back on afterwards. That handle will be good for another 50+ years once it dries and fully cures.

wristwatchb, RyX, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

When you talking about glueing what type of glue? How would you suggest clamping it?

brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you don't want to glue it, iKon made some stainless tuckaway handles a few years ago. I have one for my travel kit and it is pretty nice. I just use a bulldog handle at home as I like the additional weight and length.

The handles are out of stock at ikon, but they are available online. Connaught has them as does amazon.

https://www.ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-handles/ikon-tuckaway-handle/

wristwatchb, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For an adhesive use loctite plumber and marine adhesive. You can buy it at Walmart or any hardware/home improvement store. If you use a 2 part epoxy make sure it is for plumber or marine. The adhesive sets clear. Last handle I repaired I used a toothpick to apply the glue on and into the crack then you use a c clamp and tighten perpendicular to the crack and let it set. That is it. Remove c clamp and any excess glue after it has fully set and before it fully cures.

brit, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  13. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

How much do you see the crack doing that?

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You will see the crack like before but it will be stabilized and won't spread. The adhesive I am pretty sure has a higher shear strength than the brass itself. If you want to cover it up you are going to have to solder and then replate the handle. It is more trouble than it is worth, lot cheaper to buy another handle then if you want to go that route.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    wristwatchb, RyX and brit like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I knew you guys would give @Swampfox some good advice.

RyX and brit like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As I stated before I endorse repairing as first choice. I like to fully disassemble, ruff up inside, and inside ends with fine sand paper (to aid in adhesion); then reassemble using 5 minute epoxy and clamping with hose clamps (lightly).Protect the tube with electrical tape, but leave only crack exposed so as to see crack closure.

Make sure to keep threaded end up to keep them clear of epoxy.

Even if you can't make the crack totally disappear, it will be rock solid.

:happy088:

wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

iKon makes a SS handle modeled after the original tuckaway one.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  18. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I’m going to try the repairing that Enrico suggested in the this week or next.

brit and RyX like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i repaired my new improved tuckaway handle with marine epoxy.. took the handle apart and scuffed the surfaces, applied the epoxy ,assembled handle. 1 wrap of blue painters tape and clamped it with an M-6 hose clamp over the cracked area..not too tight.. ..barely see the crack and very secure..

Enrico likes this.