What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

The whole series was a rolicking good time. Excellent space opera...though not "hard" sci-fi so you have to suspend you disbelief at times.

Rob206 and PLAla like this.
  2. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

@BamaT

Thanks again for the Preston & Child suggestion. I read the second book in the series and found it fairly good. However, it inspired me to read a few solo books from Child that I liked too. They aren't heavy, just quick thrills.

BamaT, Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

"Whither Solid South? A Study In Politics and Race Relations" by Charles Wallace Collins. Published 1947

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    brit, Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

7f9f712a4058739039ae2a27cb2a4c03625efb45.jpg Just finished "The Boys in the Cave". Inside story of the recent rescue in Thailand of 13 boys from a soccer club. Amazing story involving very interesting hero's (and other's unsung). A real miracle in our time (a one in a million event) meets the perfect storm scenario and restored my faith in human kind and just regular guy hero's.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    brit, Frijolero, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Finished Presidents of War today. It was good, but not one I'll keep around or read again. I'm passing it on to a friend who enjoys nonfiction as well.

upload_2019-3-5_21-8-25.jpeg

Starting Washington: The Making of the American Capital by Fergus Bordewich next. We are traveling to Washington, DC in about a month and I thought this book would be interesting information for touring around.

upload_2019-3-5_21-10-41.jpeg

BamaT and Frijolero like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first couple of Preston & Child books, but I think they get better in my opinion. I recently finished Crimson Shore, and thought it was outstanding. While most of their books can be read alone, there are a couple that should be read in sequence, and really they all make better sense if you work through them from the start.

PLAla and mvd like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Currently reading No Fortunate Son by Brad Taylor. I read Taylor’s first book, and it was obvious he is a first class novelist. Taylor’s books are in the covert/military/spy genre, similar to Brad Thor and Vince Flynn novels. If you like them you’ll love Brad Taylor.

D8249F58-2D70-4468-8CB0-4D828B1C3928.jpeg

PLAla and mvd like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

There is so much to see in Washington. We went there a few years back and wish we had more than the week we were there. My wife found a house on VRBO close to Old Town Alexandria, just a few minutes from a subway stop, and was no more than some hotels in the area with a lot more room for us and our adult children. We loved visiting Arlington, Mount Vernon, Ford’s theatre, Pentagon, Smithsonian, and for me and my son, a visit to the NRA museum. D.C. is pretty easy to get around in with their subway system. You can get within a relatively short walk of anywhere you’re going.

My previous post in this thread is about a Brad Taylor book. His first book had a lot of action around the Old Town Alexandria to D.C. area, talking about a number of stops we were familiar with, including an underground shopping center. I read that book, “One Rough Man,” right after we were there, and every detail in the book was accurate. If you ever read fiction and like the genre of his books, you’ll love Taylor. It impresses me when someone gets details correct.

Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

514Fw1Wnx9L._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg This one again, for the 2nd time.
    I prefer L'amour to Grey, however Grey more than holds his own.

PLAla, PLANofMAN, Jrdelgado and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

moon. keith moons biography. newest one..

PLAla likes this.
  12. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Count of monte Cristo. 670 pages in to the 1200+ brick. First 200 really good last 400 kinda sloooow

Frijolero, PLAla, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I have been reading African Game Trails by Theodore Roosevelt. I have an original 1910 copy.

Frijolero, BamaT, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  14. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Just listened to the audio book of Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. This was my 2nd Wendell Berry book. Nathan Coulter was the first one I listened to. Both have were great!

15. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

A book from Golden age of Science fiction.
    [​IMG]

PLAla and brit like this.
  16. PLAla

I recently finished:

upload_2019-4-20_19-1-45.jpeg

I have moved on to Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative, Volume III, Red River to Appomattox. I've been putting off reading this because of it's length - 1,000 pages. The first two volumes were fantastic. Great writing. So here we go. Might take me a while to go through this one!

upload_2019-4-20_19-3-12.jpeg

Primotenore and BamaT like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel J. Brown- about the 1936 men's Olympic Crew team. It's a fascinating story of triumph against a backdrop of tragedy.

Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  18. PLAla

That is a terrific book! Balance, harmony, and rhythm in all things as their coach preached. I love that phrase.

Sara-s likes this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Frijolero, BamaT, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Book 2. Starting today [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.