Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

There was some talk on here about making bowls, and whether you need a chuck or not.
    Here is a pic of what will be a lidded shaving bowl. There is a plywood blank glued to the lid. A faceplate can then be screwed into it without damaging the finished product:
    CA9EDB3F-F04D-4C07-8C08-647A22133B88.jpeg
    If you are using a chuck, you can turn a rim on the bottom for the chuck jaws to sit inside of:
    EE37C2FA-4AF7-4031-B559-1E757C3A6ED1.jpeg
    The outside of the ridge doubles as the snug fit for the main part of the bowl:
    117CE412-64A1-4728-A511-3BC6325E78DF.jpeg
    I am making a few more bowls (and a brush) this week, and will take more pictures of the actual turning.

The lather bowl below was done with a chuck. But you don’t need to. Screw the faceplate into a blank on the bottom, and turn the bowl. When you are done, cut the plywood blank off and finish as you want.
    I put ‘buttons’ on my lather bowl as agitators for lather. On one bowl I did use ridges as well. The buttons are kind of my thing. No two bowls have the same button pattern:
    75BB4ABB-198F-4103-8F72-1C2999941B26.jpeg
    I laminated Walnut and Maple, partly for the look, but partly as I wanted a deeper bowl and didn’t have any lumber thicker than 2”.

Dave in KY, ischiapp, Jim99 and 15 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Beautiful work, Sir. I really enjoy seeing the work of other turners.

I realize that you don't have to have a chuck, but it certainly makes it far easier, at least in my opinion. That said, I have seen some amazing work done in the same manner as you described.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

GAW9576, RyX, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

By the way, my wife is quite impressed with your bowl with the lid.

GAW9576, brit, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool, Jason.

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

Thank you, I’d love to see your turnings!

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. lightcs1776

I will try to find a few pictures. I don't do anything fancy, although I did make some lided shave soap bowls for two of my kids.

GAW9576, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. lightcs1776

Here are the most recent bowls and figures. I hope to get back at it, but had this crazy idea to go back to school, killing a lot of my free time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg

GAW9576, brit, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

Patrick,
    My own turning journey is a different one. I bought a lathe, tools and accessories 20 years ago or so. Had a good friend who was a high school woodwork teacher who got me hooked on lots of woodworking, including turning. I made bowls, legs for furniture, pens, other small turnings and basically had a good hobby to enjoy. Got married, had two kids, moved twice and the lathe gathered dust. I started wetshaving about 2 1/2 years ago. Saw some amazing wooden brushes and thought ‘I think I can do that’. Turned the cold room downstairs (has an outside entrance for ventilation) into a small lathe room, got the lathe, saws and grinder up for the first time in 15 years and started turning. Brushes and then bowls. Like you, I have found it to be a stress relieving experience...and yes, like you I am hooked.

GAW9576, brit, Robert1955 and 12 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

Beautiful work, Jason! The Walnut and Maple look really classy together.

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. jtspartan

Wow, you are doing some very nice, large vessel work. Awesome stuff! Love some of your spalted woods as well. Did you harvest them yourself?
    Any brushes yet?

GAW9576, brit, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Gorgeous, Chris! :happy088:

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. lightcs1776

That is really gratious of you. No brushes yet. I thought it would be a great idea to start another masters degree, which has killed my free time. I hope to try a few in the upcoming months.

Most of the wood is from the back woods. The black walnut (my favorite) is from a coworkers yard. I refuse to spend much on wood, although I have spent a bit on exotic woods. All the spalted woods have come from the wood pile.

GAW9576, brit, Paul76 and 9 others like this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll contribute some stuff when I get a little time. I've been in the shop quite a bit lately. I have a couple of requests from my daughter and niece right now.

GAW9576, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

16. lightcs1776

Spalted wood is created by a fungus that gives wood a marbled appearance. It can also make the wood soft, which means you can end up with a broken piece, but they really make nice bowls. A burl is wood growth where the grain grows in many directions, kind of swirling around. It can be caused by an infection in the tree, but also from a part that doesn't grow right, such as an unformed bud that doesn't become a branch.

Keithmax, Moose, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll give this a shot. If you guys have any questions please ask. I'm entirely self taught on the lathe. I wanted to make my own coyote calls and that's what started it for me. I like open reed calls the best as I feel they're more versatile. There are quite a few dead North Dakota coyotes that will attest to the fact that they work. No electronic calls for me. From there I got interested in bowls, pens, etc and have spent a fair amount of time with hollow forms(vases with small openings) which is really what I should spend more time with. I find them the most challenging. I give most of my turnings away or throw them in the closet in my shop and my wife will go through my stuff and hound me until I finish them. Most of my wood stuff is finished with tung oil. I use a Vicmarc chuck most of the time but have used most of the other stuff too. For shaving brushes my favorite material is cast acrylic. It's very hard stuff. I can only get about 2 brushes before I have to resharpen my tools, I literally wear them out. If you think straight razor are difficult to sharpen try some turning tools once. I've had to make some of my own tools for turning cast acrylic but use skews and bowl scrappers also. I always drill on the lathe and try and finish as much as possible on the lathe but there is a fair amount of hand work done off the lathe. I would encourage turners to develop style with the items they are turning. I usually don't like anything I do when it comes off the lathe, after a few days I can look at it more objectively. I am my severest critic. One thing I'll admit to is that I like problems and I like to figure them out myself. I'll add some more later and try and round up some of my turnings and take a few pics. There are some very artistic people in my mother's family, I didn't get that gene but learned to work around it sometimes. Have a good one.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    GAW9576, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Your brush handles are ...

(Wait for it)

Legendary!

Folks who own them seem very happy to have received one. Can't wait to see what your other works look like!

GAW9576, brit, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  19. jtspartan

Agree completely with the need to develop your own style. Your handles are stunning and instantly recognizable.
    I have often used Tung Oil for finishing wood as well, but have stuck primarily with marine grade Urethane for brush handles.
    I use scrapers as well. I also have a Crown Tools small fingernail grind gouge/beading tool that is very good for intricate work. I don’t find myself reaching for the Skew very often on handles, to be honest.

Do you make your handles one at a time?

I have only done a few resin pours- a question I have for someone who is very experienced with it: What do you use for casting forms?

GAW9576, Paul76, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Here's a Jason Creation that he generously PIFed to me.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Avalon, GAW9576, Dave in KY and 16 others like this.