GEM Micromatic Query

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Missing Lynx, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

Holee.. I sure like that Art Deco finest case.

Oh, so it is a 40's case I want, not a 33-34. Thanks for pulling those ads out whatever storage vault you got them from.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    jmudrick likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Somebody had to :) . The usual resources aren't very good when it comes to these razors.

Missing Lynx likes this.
  3. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

So when is the "J Mudrick Gem Razor Compendium" coming out? I would like to receive an advance copy please. :D

jmudrick likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm certainly gathering enough info for one

Missing Lynx likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

We are splitting hairs on who had the first Patent on the TTO and I believe it looks like GEM MMOC was about a month earlier for filling, but the models are so different anyways and Gillette would never win a court case but would no doubt slow SEGAL or GEM MMOC great razors to stores and give them more time to get their lagging twist to open razors to market. GEM saw the writing on the wall and advanced their sales way before Gillette could kill them in marketing IMO. Great research like usual and really enjoying your effort @jmudrick at getting to the past truth of the race to the TTO.:eatdrink047:

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The February 1929 ASR patent application wasn't for a TTO, it only covered a revised head and blade, so Segal definitely made application first FWIW..

There were TTO patents preceding these in 1909, 1915, and 1925, but no production I'm aware of. Gillette purchased one of these older pre 1929 patents for the purpose of suing Segal. Courts weren't ultimately convinced that the O'Malley patent was relevant to Gillette's claim of infringement..

[​IMG]

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

My father had some patents on some Auto body straightening equipment for cars and he patented it so the big competition could not steal his idea was his thinking.
    He successfully MFG some of his equipment and he was so proud of that accomplishment of patenting his tool & he sold approximately 30 of them. He was very intelligent in some areas and others well..... To a inventor a patent is his only protection for his idea's and if company's can get around a good idea they seem to go out of their way and even MFG off shore if be it.
    Patents can be valid for approx 30 yrs(?) and can sit in the Federal patent office even longer waiting to go into production or someone take it over by a buyout or stealing and altering the device from what I recall, it can get complicated and expensive to patent and cover certain MFG country's for protection. China and Israeli....... do not honor patents from my understanding.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"For patents filed prior to June 8, 1995, the term of patent is either 20 years from the earliest filing date or 17 years from the issue date, whichever is longer. "

Patents are territorial

Ron R likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another detail on cases, this one was rolled out in August - October '32 as part of a promotion with Colgate and Palmolive. Gold razor, 4 single and one double edge blade .[​IMG][​IMG]

Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That's amazing what a person could buy for $.49, they were harsh times no doubt and in the thick of the Dirty thirties when every one seemed broke. Great find @jmudrick and I really enjoy these glimpses of time but not the heart ache of that era.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Referenced above, but more details on the NRA set. Introduced April 1934 and promoted widely through November 1934, this set included the Chromium plated razor and two blades in simple cardboard case for 25 cents. Note the NRA emblem on the box. Ads commonly appear at 19 cents.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You know @jmudrick if it was not for the Micromatic razor GEM would of fell like so many other Razor MFG's during the 30's IMO. GEM brought out that razor at it's most vulnerable moment in history and the MMOC helped drag them through approx next 10 years not knowing the Great Depression would last so long and went into WW2-15yrs of Depression & War back to back not much for profit in those Lean years. Great article's and ads of shaving History!

Ijustmissedthe50s and jmudrick like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll note that the other manufacturer who survived the 30s with a particularly innovative design was Enders. The Gillette New must have looked pretty stodgy in the face of these more radical one piece designs.

[​IMG]

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another 1932 Colgate-Palmolive variant, here the rarely seen engraved "place flat against face" cap. [​IMG]

CrustyCat, brit, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here are my cases MM’s
    The one in the white Case has the cap engraving hold flat against face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[​IMG]

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well that's interesting given that case I think comes after the 34 NRA case and definitely after the 32 C-G case. Kinda suggests the sample to distributors/retailers theory might be right.

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes but who knows. I find it kind of strange that a bullet tip had the same case. Although somebody could have just put it in that case.

Over 80 years anything could have happened. The only one I am sure of is the cardboard NRA razor.

I am still searching out a cased early no bump MM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm pretty sure the Bullet Tip case is a mismatch. And I guess the white cased MMOC could be as well.

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

There you go. Thanks for the input. I will promptly throw those in the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmudrick likes this.