Unscrupulous Ebay Sellers/Buyers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If the scales werent warped, and there was slightly less hone wear, i might have kept it. In the end, its a $15 razor, max, without the scales, to me.

Paul76, Keithmax and brit like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not an unscrupulous ebay dealer but I really feel bad for @Steve56 having to shave with that old MK. I have a mint historic razor I'd be willing to trade, of course he'd have chip in a few bucks. I think it's etched with Baltimore on the blade but it's kinda hard to tell. I'll work with you.
    [​IMG]

Paul76, brit, well-groomed and 7 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

The original antique finish should add at least $100 to that razor. Plus, it should buff out nicely.:D

Paul76, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  4. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Do not forget to add $60 for the razors Special Patina (Severe Oxidation aka Rust ):rofl:

Paul76, Edison Carter and oscar11 like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I wouldn't change a thing. It's perfect just the way it is. How much? I have a Wolfman I can trade.

Paul76, Edison Carter and oscar11 like this.
  6. DaltonGang

Here is what was advertised:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-old-r...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Stated the razor was in beautiful condition, and in a box. I bought it, with the photos, it looked good.
    he sent me an email a few days later, saying one side was cracked, and offered me a $10 refund. I accepted.
    Excuse after excuse, the refund never arrived, and neither did the razor. I even got the sick friend/relative excuse. As well as PayPal just isn't working right, several times. I started a case, for it not being mailed, and not receiving it. It finally arrived, yesterday. Almost 20 days after purchase. I still haven't received the refund. I contacted Ebay. They closed the case since it arrived.
    No answers on any messages to the seller, for several days. I am pissed off.
    So, I bombed him on the feedback.
    Then I decided, since Ebay closed the case, after I told them it arrived, not as described, But it Diiiid arrive, I opened up, another case.
    This one was for the Item, not as described, and damaged.

I immediately obtained a Return Slip.

Here is what arrived.

P3070826.JPG

P3070827.JPG

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Very deceptive. Pictured only one side of the razor. Goes to show you that 100% PFB doesn't mean diddly... Sorry Scott.

Billyfergie and lightcs1776 like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Never had a bad experience with razors. I tend to study the offering many times. I also have a price point of less than $20.

I'll add the razor looks to have been cleaned up. I pass on sellers with many razor offering unless I know them. Flippers are easily ignored.

9. DaltonGang

Everything was fine, until he notified me, a few days after the purchase, that the crack was there, and he "Just Noticed It". He said he tried and told me he sent the refund several times, then a few days later, it was rejected. This went on and on. Good thing is, I will ship it out, probably Monday, and I will let Ebay deal with him. I guess they just closed the case, the first time, because it hadn't been mailed for a while.
    The blade is really nice, but the principle of the sale has to be applied here.

Primotenore and Billyfergie like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You can always dispute on Paypal. They give you more time after buying it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

It is strange how some people don’t care until you make a claim with ebay, then they almost always try to delay as much as they can.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  12. DaltonGang

That would be my last resort. Thanks.

brit, jimjo1031 and Billyfergie like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I would point out the ultimate fate of all liars and hypocrites but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows. I've seen that left on feedback or emailed to bad sellers and buyers, for whatever good it did. Not saying I did it, not saying I didn't.

But I will share this. Not really related...sort of, maybe...once at an auction, several years ago, my dad had his eye on a flat that had a couple razors in it. It was still several lots ahead on a long table. By the time the auctioneer got to it, at least one razor (the best one) had disappeared. Someone who also had been watching that flat pointed it out. One of the auction hands confirmed there was indeed now a razor missing.

The auctioneer, an old timer as many are, stopped the proceedings and went into a true Hellfire sermon. It was brief and on the quiet side, Dad says, but got right to the point that that razor would end up costing him (or her) far more dearly than he'd benefit from stealing it, and if he would put the razor back no action beyond asking him (or her) to leave immediately would be taken.

Of course it didn't reappear, but Dad said that crowd of a couple hundred people got dead quiet during the sermon.

Yeah, people know, even when they pretend they don't. Ebay frauds included. I'm not ashamed to say that the times I've been ripped off with no recourse, I've taken comfort in that. Justice will come.

Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Unrelated...sort of. I sell vintage comic books, partnered with my brother-in-law on Ebay. We sell a lot. There are unscrupulous buyers too. It is not unusual for old comic books to have center pages missing. The cheaters buy the book, open the middle staples, remove what they are missing, close the staples back up and then claim that the purchased comic is "missing" pages. Even though we clearly state in our ads, that there will be no returns due to "missing pages" as the reason, we have had to return money. It's terrible, but that's what you have to do to maintain a pristine seller profile, which I/we have.
    Of course, those persons are immediately blocked from all future auctions. Ebay can be a
    difficult marketplace.

Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got close to 1,000 transactions on the Bay as both buyer and seller, 100% feedback, built over 10 years, and can count on less than two hands the truly bad deals I've had on both ends. I'm probably lucky only because I don't deal in any volume or frequency but some of them, how BRAZEN they were, sure can stick in the memory.

16. Chuck Naill

I wasn't clear. The point was if I get screwed on a $20 auction it would not generate any concern.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

32B7D71F-BB36-4B51-971A-4529EEEDAD1A.jpeg 90F56714-38CE-412A-93E6-11AC712B09F1.jpeg CE4DA37B-9220-455F-AB91-AD1D23CA4931.jpeg

Here are some ‘red flags’ for buying eBay razors.

-shows only one side of the blade
    -does not show the entire blade, as in partially closed (covers up a multitude of sins, cell rot, chips, frowns, etc)
    -shows only one side - or none - of the scales
    -images too dark or blurry to assess the condition of the razor
    -images are mostly of the coffin or accessories, not the razor
    -doesn’t list the width or show the grind.

The last one may actually be OK, it usually means that the seller is inexperienced. If the seller knows enough to list the width and show the grind, they’re also probably knowledgeable enough that you aren’t going to get a deal.

And sometimes you can get ‘taken’ and it still turns out fine, sometimes you have to ‘roll the dice’ if you’re wanting the good stuff, a gamble is just part of it. Here’s an example of a Grelot that I bought for $140 and the seller did not show the scales or mention them, a ‘red flag’. He did show both sides of the blade. I was the only bidder. The first image is the seller’s image, he did not show any of the scales. The second is my image of the scales - oddly, they warped around the blade and the blade still closed fine! The third image is the razor with new black horn scales. Needless to say I’d be glad to get ‘taken’ like this all the time!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Oh, believe me, it isn't the money, that concerns me. It all has to do with principle. A thief is a thief. I don't care if it is a $5 purchase. You don't steal from me, without me getting vocal, and use what I have, to expose the person, and hopefully make him think twice about doing it again. In any case, he will be out shipping charges, at the least.

mrchick, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

You are right, there are "Unscrupulous Buyers". I will modify the title of this thread.

RyX, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

I do understand. :)

brit likes this.