2019 Traveling Box Tour

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Mar 9, 2019.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Saturday From Florida!

There have been a few traveling boxes I have participated in since 2010. The box usually ends its movement because someone keeps it instead of shipping to the next person.

Anyway, I have a bunch of stuff sitting in a closet not being used. I don't feel like PIF'ing it out, and so I am posting here to gauge the interest of another traveling box.

The way the box works is that someone fills a large flat rate USPS box full of stuff and mails it to the first person on the list. When the first person receives the box, that person takes what they want from the box, adds what they want, and then ships the box to the next person on the list.

For the most part, you will not get the value of the shipping price out of the box. This opportunity to participate in the box is more about trying new things and thinning your den.

If you are interested in participating, post your interest in this thread. If there are at least ten people interested, I will put a route order together, seed the box and ship it out.

EDIT: The List of participating members.
    @Enrico
    @MR41
    @ordinaryshaver
    @John Beeman
    @Joewa
    @Jrdelgado
    @BamaT
    @cliffb599
    @thevez2
    @gorgo2
    @RyX

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    RyX, FatherofSquirrel and johnnyflake like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I’m in I’ve done one Before and it was fun. I have a few things I can add. ( more than a few ) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m in, I’ve never done this before.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m in

5. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

The box is a lot of fun. I don't know that I'm in again. But I agree, you usually don't recoup your value.
    Still worth it. I got a brush handle I could restore and a razor. Still have a bunch of teeny samples, more so because the box was STUFFED as opposed to actually wanting them. I would add a caveat to make sure no one puts in dried out soaps or stuff that should maybe be pitched.

Have fun if ya'll decide to do a Box Tour. You could always ask Fishcrow for advice, but I haven't seen him on here for awhile.
    I think the disappearance of the last box may have been the final straw.

cliffb599 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've participated in a couple pass arounds. Great way to give and get, or test gear. If everyone plays nice the Originator would have the final pass. The O might retrieve initial gear or hardware value in wholly different form.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Brad was very gracious to take the box over and then to start another tour.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Wonderful idea. I did the Nationwide Box Tour with Fishcrow on two occasions and also administered the Soap Pass-Around box on two occasions. Terrific way to trade gear and try some items.

Not sure I'm in because I've done it so much, but I might could be persuaded if you need a tenth participant.

RyX likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got stuff to put in but after the last time, when we got ripped off by a fairly new user who (as I recall) practically begged to participate, I swore off. But if safeguards can be put into place...

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD Regulars know each other. Start you list in a totally arbitrary order. Might add a couple days to the shipping time, but are you in a hurry for this? As it moves those that know each other can slip items to be delivered somewhere down the line. Eventually you get an overflown box. Time to spawn Son of Box - there's your Newbies high loss risk sample of things they might enjoy. If the new members hang around they become Regulars, too. That grants membership in the Other Box.

Not laying down rules, just thoughts on how it might be done. These projects are fun for the participants. So who's the leader? @ stingraysrock - if you want to start your manifesto keep in mind like a PIF each participant is due for the shipping to the next address. Otherwise a list of procedures like time of possession, suggested or denied brands of hard or software swapped in, and someone to keep notes and send PM's when the box needs it's next destination.

:scared011:Go team go!:scared011:

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  11. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Seems like fun to me, lots of things I would like to try and some cool stuff to add.
    Over across the street something we did was institute a minimum post count.
    Not sure if that would work here, nor what the number would be, just an idea.

RyX likes this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m in. I’ve wanted to get in on one for a while now.

13. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

sounds like fun.. I would like to be in.

14. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Yeah, that made me hesitant about the one we did in 2016. But it worked out well. I got a razor, a brush handle and some soap.
    The idea about a "booby box" for newbies has a lot of merit.
    I know I took out some stuff that I didn't think anyone would want so's i could fit some stuff in. Pretty sure I knew I would never use it but had to make room.
    I know you were on that Tour with me. I think that one finally made it back to Brad, but it did hit a delay.

cliffb599 and RyX like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have at least a couple things, that I’m sure someone will want. I’m excited about it.

cliffb599 likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Because these activities are Member Sponsored, TSD takes no responsibility for lost or stolen property. So as far as playing fair goes - all that needs happen is someone puts a box in the mail. From there others just need to say "I'm in" like a PIF. This can be done loose and relaxed, between friends. As for Newbies, though they can benefit from a pass around, the honest ones understand and can keep an eye on the thread. When the Box births its overload baby then start a new thread?

Frijolero likes this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. As I said previously, just an idea.
    Sounds like it would be a cool idea, I hope it's open to us "CRAZY" single edge guys too. Hahaha

RyX likes this.
  18. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I’ll play. I have some hardware to add.

RyX likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

20. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

It's been ages since I've participated in a Pass Box, and would love to join another one.

RyX likes this.