Aftershave from the land of the Rus

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Joe Nobles, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Hi all, it's been a while since I last posted. I'm still shaving and saving enjoying my double edge and injector razors and cranking away with my favorite Russian shave gear. Right now I'm looking for a nice Russian aftershave, the splash on type, like Old Spice or English Leather. Not necessarily the same scent type but just that pour in into your hands and splash it on yer face, then yer good to go!

All the stuff I've seen is more along the lines of lotion types kinda like hand lotion but not as viscous. So if any of you know the Russian products please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I'm not going to lie, your thread title threw me off. I thought you meant Sweden. For anyone that doesn't know the Rus was the name of Swedish Vikings. Vikings, as we know them, were from Norway and Denmark.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  3. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

There is lots of evidence that the Rus were the ancestors of the Russian people.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  4. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

In Mother Russia, you don't use Aftershave to soothe your pain, Aftershave use you to soothe its pain.

I just thought the Rus just drank Vodka to get rid of their pain. Sort of an internal Aftershave application.

Yehuda D, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  5. BigMark83

Can you recommend any good reading material pertaining to this?

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Killerflyingbugs

I saw it on a few documentarys on vikings a few years back i think they were on the history channel. I honestly can't remember the shows name.

BigD likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

There used to be a site (might still exist) that had really inexpensive colognes and aftershaves from Russia. I mean, really inexpensive. But, they are/were quality products. My two favorites that I still have are Cigare (tobacco scented) and dlya muzhchin (for men). The second one is more of a cologne, but smells very classic and manly.

The Cigare comes in a spray bottle that looks somewhat like a cigar while the other one comes in a splash bottle.

edit: I found the site and it is no longer in operation. Maybe ebay will be your friend.

edit2: Ebay comes through (BIN) https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NO...974042?hash=item3b2103e5da:g:syoAAOSwXzNaa18S

Other Russian colognes avail in the suggested section or search for "novaya zarya" the company of manufacture. Note that these are all (AFAIK) Commie era scents.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

9. BigMark83

AS is ok, but if anyone can link me to some Eastern European creams/soaps I'd be happy. Not to hijack the thread or anything .

Frijolero likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I plugged that into the search box at basenotes.net and came across a discussion about Russian and Eastern European Fragrances. It dates back 10 or more years ago, but lists many clues and bits of information & history from folks living in Russia and surrounding countries.

Frijolero and richgem like this.
  11. richgem

Looks like I have some interesting reading for later. :)

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  12. BigMark83

Anything on The Former Yugoslavia? My maternal grandfather was Serbian, and his mother was Macedonian. I know, random.

Frijolero, RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  13. richgem

I wonder if our local linguistic ambassador @Yehuda D has any info to share?

Frijolero, RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  14. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Well, as usual much has been learnt just posting a seemingly simple question! @BigMark83 it is clear that originally the Rus were indeed from the Scandinavian/Swedish part of the world. As always complications arise, I was working from the perspective of the point in time from Kievian Rus and the development of the political entity that eventually becomes Moscovian Russia.

Now to all of you that helped with the aftershave question you have all given me enough leads to follow up with, so I'll track something down and share what I come up with.

15. Killerflyingbugs

I have seen some Serbian shave soap and after have on the 'bay that I have been thinking of trying. Brion is the after shave brand and palmira is the soap.

BigMark83 and RyX like this.
  16. BigMark83

You have no idea how happy this made me. I searched it and found a seller from Serbia who happens to have quite a few creams for sale as well.

17. Killerflyingbugs

I am glad. The hard soap peaked my interest. Let us know how the after shave smells! The description says it smell traditional, but I have no Idea what that would smell like.

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  18. BigMark83

I don't use alcohol based aftershaves, but I may buy a bottle in honor of that part of my heritage, and my grandfather. I am definitely going to look more at the creams though. It'll be a few weeks before I buy it, and probably a few more to get here.

Yehuda D, RyX and Killerflyingbugs like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Member @AlDm may know about currently available aftershave products.

Можете ли вы рассказать нам о доступных в России продуктах после бритья?

Edit/ Update; Alex @AlDm and I PM'd about aftershaves. He doesn't use the products being sought in this discussion. He said, "I use Nivea or Mennen products."

Он не использует продукты, которые ищут в этом обсуждении. Он сказал: «Я использую продукты Nivea или Mennen».

brit likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

brit likes this.