Dark beer

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by BigMark83, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No offense, but you have clearly never tasted König Pilsner. I am not referring to Miller Lite.

MacDaDad, brit and Erik Redd like this.
  2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I haven't had a Dunkelweisse is ages! I've only had Franziskaner, I don't know of any others. Spaten Optimater isn't bad as far as Doppelbocks go.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    barbersurgeon likes this.
  3. For me it’s been IPA. I hated the hoppi-ness and craft beer always gave me a headache.

I am now the hugest IPA beer snob I never wanted to be.

That said, Guinness is has been and will continue to be Nectar of the Gods... cure for what ails you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Warsteiner Dunkel is a good dark german also.

5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Picked up a Samuel Smith assorted pack today. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Very true. There is a big difference between quality pilsners and Bud Light.

MacDaDad likes this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Drinking a Deschutes Obsidian Stout tonight. Very dark and good roasted flavor. Check it out if you see it in your stores.

Erik Redd, brit and MacDaDad like this.
  8. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about Deschutes.

9. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Deschutes Black Butte Porter is a tasty glass full. Myself? I just polished off the last of my growler I bought the first part of this week. Bent River 'Brown is the new Black' porter. Niceeee :)

10. FatherofSquirrel

So what's the verdict and what all was in the sampler pack.
    I would like to find one of those in case there are some I haven't tried.

11. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Honestly, they were fine, but not worth the price tag. There are domestic beers that are better and cheaper. The aforementioned Deschutes being one. Rogue being another. Also, everywhere seems to have a good local brewery these days.

Weasel640 and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  12. FatherofSquirrel

I don't know. I really do enjoy the Taddy Porter and Nut Brown.
    Thanks for feedback.

13. Weasel640

What was in the pack though? I really like Samuel Smith's Stouts and Nut Brown, but don't care for their pales.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  14. BigMark83

Their oatmeal stout is pretty good

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

15. BigMark83

Dead Guy Ale. I'll admit it's the only Rogue ale I think I've ever had. What else would you recommend?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

16. FatherofSquirrel

:signs011:
    I've had the oatmeal stout, taddy porter, and nut brown. They are all delicious. I probably wouldn't want to try the pales as I don't care for pale ale if I can help it.

Weasel640 likes this.
  17. Weasel640

Right! There is a reason why the British call them "Bitters". I can do without.

Also another one I had I few weeks ago that was pretty good that I had forgotten about until I opened my beer fridge this weekend is the Firestone Nitro Merlin Milk Stout. It had some good taste, and greats cascade or waterfall effect when poured correctly.

Looking into it, looks like Founders has a Nitro Oatmeal Stout, that could be a game changer...

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I have only had their Dead Guy Ale and Hazelnut Brown Ale. For anyone that likes brown ales or nut browns, the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale is awesome. @Weasel640

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  19. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I had the brown ale, taddy porter, oatmeal stout, and chocolate stout. Haven't had the chocolate stout yet. The others were all good. I got my assorted six pack from Total Wine and paid way too much for it. I would buy it again if I could find it some place cheaper.

20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Left Hand Brewing has a Milk Stout and a Nitro Milk Stout that are both good.