HD tribute razor- Complete

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Mar 10, 2019.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Shifting the clocks got me thinking of riding season and I’ve had an idea for a while that I wanted to try. Dusted off the blueprints and started putting idea to action.:signs002:

Actually, it started with the pack of extra buttons you get with a jacket... of course these could be used to enhance a shave. :)
    I thought they looked pretty sweet on top of this Cocobolo burl.
    0DB6337D-DF7B-4A91-9818-83AE88A88D54.jpeg
    I know this won’t work by having it sit on top, so I will recess, but I wanted to get an idea if the diameter would work. I cut off then sanded the back of the button. Now that it could sit flush, I pulled out a Wade & Butcher I like, and I think this just may be okay.
    992D992B-292C-40B1-8854-4794645ED335.jpeg
    I just needed a blade and I could go to work. A 15/16 Herder 49 should fit the bill nicely, letting me go wide with the scales and hopefully not looking completely ridiculous- a little ridiculous is fine.
    Traced the W&B scales and slightly widened for the pattern. I can always thin them down later and here is what I am thinking.
    CE1E0A65-6856-4590-A2B4-D2891983C0AA.jpeg
    Cut out the template and used the negative to show the grain I want, in the spot I want.
    CDD8F559-9A26-408D-B1DB-24C9CA84F7A7.jpeg
    So here are my thoughts...
    • The Cocobolo will transition to a silver or gun metal resin. I will explain the tribute a little more later. :cool:
    • Drilling a hole and sitting the button flush with the back will allow me to go thinner on the scales. I plan to put clear resin over that for transparency and help the shape.
    • I want to accent that copper. Maybe a copper lining or just lining the wedge. I think I need to do this for fun.
    • To pay the proper tribute to the motorcycle in question, I need to add yellow somewhere... maybe the wedge... maybe on the blade... need to think on this but I do require a small amount of yellow.

I realize the length of these scale threads are boring, but it keeps me working. So I had a thought... I will change the thread title when I am in a new phase. I will call this the “concept” phase.

Have fun with your projects.
    Tom

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful! I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600, but also love the style of many Harleys.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

TestDepth likes this.
  3. TestDepth

Thank you. It is so nice to have a sunny day today... changed my outlook completely. Hopefully signs of actually getting past winter.

I’m going into my 20th year with this bike - the bike is almost turning 30. She has given me a great escape at times (turning my head quickly to see where the wife is), and she has taught me a lot about mechanics. :)

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Have you thought about using the button, to cover up the Wedge Pin?? It might fit and flow better. You could also sink it into the wood.

TestDepth likes this.
  5. TestDepth

I did but I was thinking it would stick out too much. The good thing is they give you 2 replacement buttons... so I can totally screw this design up!!!!

6. DaltonGang

Sorry, i added to my last post. If it was at the wedge area, you would be able to sink it into the wood.

TestDepth likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

Possibly both sides.

TestDepth likes this.
  8. TestDepth

The button is pretty flat on the back.
    88005EE3-1F6E-46B1-98F8-4FA861F20416.jpeg
    If I’m understanding Scott, I think I would need to have that hollowed out to sink it into the wood over the wedge pin. Am I thinking about that right?

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I was thinking to just use a wood bit, the same size as the button, and drill out some wood. Then you could either glue the ends together, without pinning, and glue the buttons in place. Or,.after the holes are made, and if there is still wood left, you could do a light pinning, and center the buttons directly over the pins .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    RyX, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  10. TestDepth

I understand now - sounds like a good option. I have some things on order before I start, so I can give it some thought.

Here is the color I’m going for. All 1990 (first year) Fat Boys were this color.
    500D80C2-2D93-401D-94D3-BDC9394F083A.jpeg

RyX, brit, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  11. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I never cared much for Harleys, but I do ride. It's a cool project, and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

TestDepth likes this.
  12. TestDepth

Thank you. I appreciate it.
    Yeah... she shakes, she’s left me stranded, and I’ve pushed her significant distances... but there is just something about her, even sitting in the garage torn apart.
    Figured maybe a tribute razor will allow me to stay in her good graces. :)

So I’m thinking, after looking at that picture, painting the washers yellow. I’ll have to repaint after pinning but that might be the highlight I’m looking for. NiAg rod with yellow washers.

Leaning towards a carbon black wedge sandwiched in copper.

RyX, M14Shooter, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

Got some of the stuff in... powders and food coloring for colors. Also decided to move forward with setting the button down into the wood.
    I will drill, tape the back to keep the resin in place, and then set the button.
    7C4F5D8B-44C2-4F23-BF8D-2F14E764916C.jpeg
    With the resin I should be able to thin the top and bottom of the scale to a normal thickness and shape... plan is to follow the angles of the button north/south.
    Poured the resin.
    2D9271B2-0574-42C8-AD60-329BD2421720.jpeg
    Wanted to create some wedge options since the resin was out. I really think I’m going carbon black sandwiched in copper, but I made one in canary yellow to see what that could look like.
    3A12BB78-F32D-4E50-B9C5-A2755BBEE865.jpeg
    The color came in that I hoped would match the bike - Antique Silver. Pretty close, but really matches the button. Pretty happy right now but will see how it works in the resin/wood combo.
    24752319-D765-47D0-813F-43D29D7AB892.jpeg
    Shifted the title to “prep” for fun. :)
    Hopefully I can get out and ride later.

PLANofMAN, pj3r, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I love it when a plan comes together. Great job on a great looking project.

RyX, brit and TestDepth like this.
  15. TestDepth

Thank you! I think the silver will nicely contrast the wood. Really looking forward to the button setting so I can shape the wood.

16. TestDepth

Making the mold...
    Cut up the Cocobolo burl into shapes I liked. Going with more wood towards the wedge and silver towards the pivot. Here are a shots of what it might look like.
    Front side:
    8A2B9A79-4680-4D64-BFB8-8282DDC44910.jpeg
    Back side:
    4F13D3A6-9114-42FD-B47A-F22189F6E682.jpeg
    At the last minute I decided to create more space. Not sure I like that call, but it is done now.
    Poured the 2 part resin and added the Antique Silver powder.
    307AC586-3D50-475C-A9DF-DB877301868B.jpeg
    Give it a few days and see how the silver settles.

Still leaning towards the black for the wedge, but the yellow isn’t that bad. :)

Enjoy your projects.
    Tom

PLANofMAN, pj3r, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool so far..

TestDepth likes this.
  18. TestDepth

Thanks Gary. LOTS of opportunity to still screw this one up. :scared011:

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

for the 20 or so cool model cars painted and built there were 5 or so in the bin..not so much now but stuff happens ,you build nice stuff sir ,all should be well..

TestDepth likes this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    LOL you HD guys are attached to them alright

I did some years back for TCridesHD over on SRP he is a HD fanatic too ..

Silver Twill G10 with inlaid HD logo and a Black Blade from Snailforge Razors

Have pics someplace

Keithmax, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.