Synthetic Brushes PAA

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Juno, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I tried all three synthetic PAA brushes and didn't care for them. Are these representative of synthetic brushes in general? I bowl lather, and they do well creating a lather. My issue is that when applying the lather I feel as if I am using a spatula rather than a brush. There is no brush action to speak of and they are only semi-useful for the painting strokes side to side. I gave the unused Atomic Rocket to my wife to use as a make up brush and she loves it. I was wondering if I could put badger or horse hair knots in the Green Ray and the Blue one, as I really like the handles on these a lot. Not really sure how to go about that or what size to order. I love my two jayaruh horsehair brushes. Would like something like that in these handles. I forget what brand knots he used.
    Thanks for any suggestions. Otherwise my wife will have 2 more make up brushes.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't tried one so I don't know how they compare to other makers. Jim @Jayaruh keeps good notes so he may know which knots are in your brushes. If you aren't worried about keeping the knots, it's possible to remove them and install replacements of your choice.

Now you've entered The Hobby Zone. Do you have a Dremmel tool? A drill motor, screw gun, or drill press? Razor knife, masking tape, clear silicone bathtub and window caulk?

If you revisit the PAA web page they may list the knot diameter. When ordering your replacements you may go the same size and need to trim down to fit, or purchase one size smaller for easy installation.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Thanks. I don't have a drill press. But do have most of the rest.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good luck, and take photos! Most restorations folks post are on vintage brushes. I'm curious how it turns out. :eatdrink047:

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have two Semogue boar, an Omega mixed badger/boar, and an Atomic Rocket. The latter is the best I don't use if for tube soap.