What is the Excalibur club?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by matthewoli98, Mar 12, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

on my 6th shave with my first gillette spoiler used..seems fine so far..blade a week usually for me..

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Depends Charlie. Were you going for this? KING-ARTHUR-EXCALIBUR-.jpg
    Or this? Pulp Fiction Gimp.jpg

Gary - Are you taking The Challenge? Good Luck! I'll be watching from the bleachers.

Hembree, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have gotten around 14-16 shaves with the same blade (Rapira SS) and was surprised how long it lasted. Some blades even get better after a few shaves and you may be surprised how long a blade could last.

Hembree, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

will play along with the gillette super stainless as they are expensive..people say they last awhile, i'll see.

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

As soon as the blade tugs or i feel my shaving experience is compromised in any way i bin the blade. But until then i just use it again and again

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Hembree, MaxG, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  6. matthewoli98

Lol my dad wins, he used the same blades in his rotary shaver since 1998 until the shavers charging circuit failed last year.

Hembree, Frijolero, RyX and 4 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

10 shaves on my first spoiler...nice,

Hembree, RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same here. I don't track shaves per blade. When it Tugs, Scrapes or otherwise causes Discomfort (my own TSD rule) it's gone.

Hembree, MaxG, brit and 1 other person like this.
  9. matthewoli98

Nice!

Hembree and brit like this.
  10. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Yeah. That’s been my method thus far, 6 months in. I love the concept of a blade getting better with age, or improving after a brief dull period (coating wearing off, etc.). Hell, that’s the story of my life! :happy108:

But how many mediocre shaves will you endure waiting for the blade to get its second wind? Not sure I’m willing to find out. I’ve been getting 3 good shaves and a 4th decent shave out of my Astras lately. I haven’t pushed them to 5 because they’ve seemed a little tired during 4.

11. brit

brit in a box

i ditched my first spoiler after the 11th shave as it was leaving more on the final pass , more pick ups..not uncomfortable though..some of my other blades just get tuggy or fall off quickly..if i push them,which i normally don't.i will try this with the vintage schick stainless blades..

Hembree likes this.
  12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I did a ballpark estimate and if I use a blade for just one week I'll have enough blades for 19-20 years. I only shave every other day, so max of 4 uses a blade. Maybe I'll try this just for the heck of it.

13. matthewoli98

I'm currently on 24 shaves with a feather, tomorrow will be 25, without any tugging.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can beat that, Charlie, I have been cutting what's left of my hair with an Oster (original blades) since 1997. Hah!

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Most shaves from a DE blade: 30 (Wilkinson Light Brigade)

16. matthewoli98

At what point did you start to experience tugging?

brit, Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I don't keep track of longevity, I also dispose of my blades on a how they cut/feel basis rather than number of shaves basis. I've been doing it his way for many years now and it works well. When a blade no longer works/cuts well or it feels uncomfortable in use I ditch it be it one shave or ten. However I must admit to arm stropping between shaves.:happy088:

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Shave 30. Over and out. It VERY important to note that "riding the cap" (keeping the shallowest angle possible) will GREATLY increase blade longevity.

178-bplatoon, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the GSB's. They have a coating on them that has to be worn off. For me, this means that the blade seems at its best at about the third shave. I'm another on that doesn't dispose of a blade until the shaving experience diminishes.

20. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

I've seen a few people talking about going a crazy number of shaves with Nacet blades, which is a brand I haven't tried yet

Edison Carter and brit like this.