What works better?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Swampfox, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

what works better shave soap or shave cream? Also what last longer? Cream is cheaper, and easier to use.

brit, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

There is no "better". It's really personal preference. I have found that soaps last longer. Especially the harder pucks like MWF. I also find soaps to be cheaper than creams. I think you end up using more product with creams. I also find soaps to be slicker in general and I end up with a better post shave feel. You will hear lots of different perspectives.

brit, AGHisBBS, Yehuda D and 4 others like this.
  3. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I’m using Tayler of old Bond Street cream, and was thinking of using a soap next time like Tayler of old or LNHC

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

About cream being cheaper, that would be so if you're buying something like Gillette Foamy, Barbasol, or Noxema from the drugstore or supermarket. I'll be using an "expensive" cream in a couple days-the Clubman Original. You have to order that from its website(or Amazon).

brit, AGHisBBS and johnnyflake like this.
  5. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Tayler of old Bond Street is $15 off amazon

brit likes this.
  6. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Quality Creams are definitely not cheaper than soap pucks, even the higher quality pucks. But as pointed out above by MntnMan62, it's purely subjective, and one that note, I just say that I much prefer creams, to using pucks. However, that's not to say that I do not use pucks, because I do at times. I find that out of a TOPS Cream, I will probably get 50 shaves, give or take a few. With pucks, probably a dozen more. For me the key to really loving creams and getting tons of lather, was finding the right mix of water and the right brush. I now can easily visualize the right amount of water. For the right brush, it took a good amount of testing. For me, the best brush to use with creams, is a Horse Hair Brush, mine are Quality Vie-Long Brushes. Horse hair has a bit more backbone than Badger, or Synthetic and really whips up a great lather from a cream. For my taste, Boar Brushes are too stiff, even when well broken in. However, they do work well with pucks.

brit, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Creams have more water and are easier to create a lather. Hard pucks don't and have to be loaded longer and more water has to be added.
    Both will give you a great shave if you work them properly. Comparisons are iffy; it's a bit like apples and oranges.

DesertTime, Rev579, brit and 7 others like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Just buy Williams and be done with it. :innocent
    Ain't that right Fuzzy. @wchnu

9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

You're right, creams are easier. I recommend getting a puck and trying just for comparison. Whichever you prefer will be the right choice.

P.S. - but don't buy Williams

brit, PLAla, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

If you can't lather Williams, you're out of the cool kids club. ;)

11. MntnMan62

I only recently bought a puck of Williams. Haven't tried it yet. But gosh darn it, I want to be in the cool kids club. :cool:

PLAla, AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

3 pieces of advice then I will be done derailing the thread.
    1. Use a stiff backboned boar brush.
    2. Get as much of the water as possible out if the brush before loading.
    3. Adding just a drop of water at a time, face lather and splays the brush, when you think the lather is going to disappear, lather 5 more minutes.
    Or just watch some of my Williams videos! :)
    We will get you in the club in no time.

13. MntnMan62

I only use boar brushes with my harder soaps. What about us bowl latherers? I normally will load the brush anywhere from 45 seconds for softer soaps to a minute to a minute and a half for harder soaps. So with Williams I planned on going for about a minute and a half and then moving to the bowl and adding water in very small amounts until I get the lather just right. That's my normal approach anyway. Will that work?

14. ordinaryshaver

Bowls are great. I like them for soup, heck, even cereal.....
    Just kidding. Bowl should be fine. Don't worry about over loading, but do get the brush as dry as possible on the load. I would sprinkle water in sparingly. It's easier to add soap than to take away water.
    Give this a watch if you are a more visual learner.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

The big difference as I see it is creams are prehydrated while triple milled hard soap pucks are as dry as possible. Creams have some kind of preservative added because the presence of water can allow bacterial growth. I've enjoyed a stick of vintage Williams soap that's so dry it crumbles into dust when I apply it to the bottom of my textured shave bowl.
    I have yet to try a horse hair, but I do use badgers when I lather creams.
    I prefer the feel of a new boar brush and like breaking one in. That could be why my choice leans toward hard soaps. It falls into YOMV (your opinion may vary).
    Modern Williams? It'll load from a dry puck if you use a damp brush. It's inexpensive so don't be shy. Get those boar bristles thick and pasted up with soap before trying to whip in air and more water. I make most of my lathers in a bowl because I can better gauge the mix. If it's too wet it stays in the bowl rather than running down my neck and add more soap.

Modern Williams, Omega Pro 98 boar brush, Suribachi bowl.
    Williams lather.gif

MaxG, brit, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I didn't say I couldn't lather it, but why drive a Yugo when you can have a Ferrari?

DesertTime, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

brit likes this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

Because most of the time, folks that have a Ferrari won't have the opportunity to experience allow that the vehicle has to offer. Also, would you teach a 15year old how to drive on said Ferrari? Of course not, your would out then in a Yugo. Once they master that, then step up .
    But don't blame the tools when a new user is still trying to develop skills.
    If and when that master lathering Williams, then anything else is a cake walk.

Rev579, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Careful, you'll make him say yes faster than a speeding bullet. Oh, look he did already(by saying he liked your post). :).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    AGHisBBS and Hembree like this.
  20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Also, VDH

AGHisBBS and Hembree like this.