March 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2019.

?

What Madness is March bringing to your shave?

1. I'm going to use gear I rarely or never use for the month.

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. I'm going to do a Rule.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. It's Focus time!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Soap Madness for me....gotta make room for more!

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  5. I'm going to eat cookies AND donuts for breakfast.

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  6. I'm going to shave completely in the dark....oh wait....that's MAYhem.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Danny!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Clint!
    tp

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Does anyone have any recommendation for a leather scented aftershave? I have Maggards Tobacco and Leather, which smells like almonds and cherries to me, and I have Stirling British Leather. Looking to part with the Maggards and pick up something else.

Someone recommended a Chatillon Lux scent but I don't remember which one.

4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oooooo...
    Priddy
    tp

Trigger, brit, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

It's difficult to keep it to 12, there's so many fantastic options out there. With what I have already I figure if I never bought another soap I have 8-10 years of product. I don't know if I'll stop buying though

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Bruce!
    I've seen his products around, but not in BST offers. With 20 varieties of soap selling between $21 & $26 some folks are happy. The rest of us only see "Sold Out"
    TTT in full effect. Open blades are fun but you have to respect them.

7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Terry!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trigger, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

First, Thanks for the comments (not great at multi-quoting, especially across pages, so a group Thank You hopefully suffices).

I'd agree w/Clint's perspective.

Personna not quite as sharp (edgy, as I would describe) as the Feather for the first shave. For my DE shaves (maybe 70+) up to this point, I'm usually doing a 1 and done on the blades. Mostly using Treet and Feather, but have tried handful of other brands from sampler packs. I learning that I like them sharp....less tuggy as I shave. My gotcha's usually happen as I feel a tug/flex, then I flinch (with the razor) which ends badly for that swipe. Started researching blades (again), and now some of the comments y'all talk about (as well as blade reviews I've read astray of TSD), make better sense. So...with blade brands I like, I'm going to start using at least twice. So far, I think Feathers and Personnas are close on the feel for the 2nd shave. While I know the $ saved reusing blades 3-5X is there...I'd do better to drink less coffee to save $$$ (coffee is another long term AD/passion/hobby....pretty much do pour over for everything, retail coffee rarely compares).

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    tp

Trigger, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you enjoy that one Paul. It's a soap I'd like to purchase again to have backstock. It hits several points on my check list. Hard puck that last a long time, strong scent that I enjoy, good lather properties, and inexpensive.

There's speculation it might be made by Tcheon Fung Sing. That's a Chinese name, but an Italian soap maker. Those guys that do weird people on some of their labels. Many of their products are more traditionally marked.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Blair - those are also available as "Med Prep". Only difference I'm aware of is that the MP's are sterilized to be used to shave patients prior to surgery, and they cost twice as much. There's a good read about Personna blades HERE.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    March Focus
    [​IMG]
    AoS Tallow (Unscented)~~Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger~~Friodur 6/8~~Old Spice Leather
    SR #43

Well, it finally happened. After 5 years of wet-shaving I cut myself really badly this morning.
    AND NOT EVEN ON MY FACE!

I was finishing up with a magnificent first run with this Friodur. What a razor! What beauty! What an edge!
    Don't ask me how, but the razor came across my left hand (holding in my right) and made contact
    with the middle knuckle. :shocked002:
    Imagine a 1cm circle-flap, at least 2mm thick. Still attached at 11-1pm on the dial.
    Underneath...well let's say it looked a LOT like tendon.
    Bleeding began almost immediately. Meanwhile I have lather everywhere and it's all I can do to
    contain the blood. Got into the second bathroom to search out the gauze and bandages.

I managed to get a large bandaid and a 3" square patch on it with some tape.
    Cleaned up the bathroom, called my nurse wife and told her I am coming over to have her
    bandage it up correctly. Stitches are out...nothing to really stitch.
    She removed my handiwork, but we left the first bandaid on. I was concerned it would tear off the skin flap.
    She cleaned the blood from my hand and what you see here is her handiwork;
    followed by my dog, Buck's
    concern.
    IMG_9591.JPG
    IMG_9592.JPG
    So...I am probably going to take a shaving hiatus for the next few days to let this heal.
    I gotta say, this razor is sharp as...:shocked002:

13. PLAla

Wow, Joseph! Sorry to hear that. One of the worst cuts I’ve ever had was in my knuckle. I dropped a coffee mug in the sink by accident and somehow cut myself. It was pretty bad. Anyway, nice photo and I hope it heals quickly.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sorry to hear of your wound Joseph. I hope you heal quickly. It is a good looking razor and picture. Ill bet there are no rough edges on the cut.

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Yes....that's exactly the link I was reading last night. That site has a few blade reviews I'm correlating to my sampler packs, and a few others I may possibly pick up a 5/10 pack to test :cool:.

Ooh. That's no fun! Definitely let that heal up. And it is amazing how dogs can sense/smell skin issues on us, even a rash/bruise!

16. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Ouch...glad it was not worse. Beautiful razor and picture. You have a true friend in Buck!

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Perry, I have several that might make your cut. If you are into lighter or vintage scents, Avon Leather and English Leather are around. Might require garage sailing or antique stores for the Avon since it's out of production, but it's usually less than $5 for a bottle. English Leather originally by MEM, later from Dana, is a well blended scent that's been around for a while for reason. If you want to go hard and strong, Pinaud's Special Reserve is a long lasting powerful scent. When applied with caution it's reserved. Splashed with abandon can give a Biker vibe I liken to Indiana Jones during an action scene.
    Good luck with your search!

18. PLAla

Thanks, Rick!

Trigger, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Day 70.

Another go at the Haslinger marigold this morning. Three passes with the Dovo and touchups with the G5 injector.
    The brush is a Zenith with a beautiful ceramic handle. I don't use it nearly as often as I should. I'm afraid that sooner or later it will hit the sink and break, and I'll cry like a little girl when it does. I've actually already managed a couple of small chips in the glaze at the base that I need to see about fixing.
    IMG_20190315_082548_1.jpg

20. PLAla

Great looking G5! Nice shave.

Trigger, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.