Keto-ish breakfast

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Mar 10, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Easing my way into Keto and skipping breakfast during the week. Today I indulged with something I haven't made in a few years.

20190310_100210_800x450.jpg

Each compartment is sprayed with coconut oil, then one egg, two Brown and Serve links, and a layer of cheese. Pepper, then put into the oven 375 for about 15 minutes or until egg white is done. The eggs are from a local farm so this tasted fantastic.

Tried cauliflower oatmeal last week. Really really wanted it to work but had to throw it down the disposal. Awful.

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm about two weeks in, pretty happy with how I'm feeling. After bullet proof coffee I eat a late breakfast and fairly early lunch and dinners, trying to get all my meals into about a 7 hour window.

Lunch yesterday[​IMG]

GatorJoe, Hembree and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I imagine you have to have some kind of blender to get the butter and coffee mixed? Do they end up separating anyway?

Been eating sardines, kippers, salmon, etc, for lunch at work.

Hembree and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nah, I just shake it all up in a good Thermos. Pour a third of a cup at a time so I can keep it blended. I use both ghee and coconut oil. Keeps me going til breakfast around 10:30.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I’ve been contemplating going on Keto. The wifey and I need to lose weight but she can’t wrap her mind around eating more fat and feels it’s dangerous.

GatorJoe likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good thinking. I just ordered a vintage Thermos from the bay.

Do you believe Kerrygold unsalted is the best butter to use (as many say) or should any unsalted do?

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm too new to this. I've been using ghee in lieu of butter for years so I have simply kept up that habit.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a pretty extreme diet from what most of us are used to. I'd advise you and the missus read a lot before jumping in and be cautious about going overboard. Some of the critical studies suggest a lack of fiber can have negative long term consequences so I'm diligent about keeping some leafy veg and tubers like sweet potato in.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've found myself craving salads lately. Not that I ignored them before but probably just because I know it's something I can eat on this diet.

jmudrick likes this.
  10. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I've been on Keto for a year, and I love it. I've lost 30 pounds. I could have lost more, but I stopped being super strict on my Macros. I'm also weight lifting and building muscle, and my weight is steady so that's a good sign too.

That sounds like a bad idea to begin with!

Definitely research. You wont be able to commit to it, until you understand it. I highly recommend 2 documentaries. Both were on either Amazon or Netflix when I saw them, but not sure about now. "The Magic Pill" and "Fathead: The Directors Cut". If you watch both of those, and don't come out thinking that Keto is a good thing in principle, I'd be surprised. I went Keto within a week of watching them and haven't looked back.

I kinda think any butter is good. Kerrygold is great, and the quality is a bit better, since it's from grass fed cows. So if you want to do the absolute best you can for your body, then go Kerrygold. But honestly I go back and forth. Depends how cheap I can find Kerrygold.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You inspired me. Bought an old Uno-Vac thermos off the bay. It's soaking now, will be packing fatted coffee for my lunch for the rest of this week, see how painful that will be for me.

jmudrick likes this.
  12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Good for you guys trying the keto diet. I've been doing it on and off since August of last year. I never tried a diet before but did it to support my wife. I reached my target weight in 2 or 3 months and now add carbs now and then in my lunch. I lost 11 pounds the first week and now just keep weight in the 180's. I did check with my primary care physician first and he was fine with it so I jumped in. It's kind of fun being able to totally control my weight and clothes sizes. Getting over sugar pangs is tough the first time though. Keep it up! Oh, BTW, your food bill will go up.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. It's definitely something you realize too late that you have to plan ahead for. No more just grabbing a bag of something unless it's pork rinds.

Gotta go make more egg sausage thingies.

GatorJoe likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm down a couple pounds. Hunger comes less often. Drank buttered coffee today at work, for lunch had a small plain salad, some spinach casserole and a few slices of turkey and cheese (from a sub, ditched the bread). Egg sausage thingies are now in the oven. Energy throughout the day much more stabilized than before...some days I wanted a nap in the early afternoon, even when I was sort of low carb. Now there's no need for it (stabilized blood sugar). Also stop eating around 5-6 pm, or earlier, and don't eat until mid-morning. Once you get past the blood sugar issues, 99% of this is mental.

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've never been good at dieting, but I wanted to lose some weight. Except for my coffee and a beer or two every so often, I replaced my other drinks with flavored bottle water and still ate my usual meals. So far lost 20 pounds in under 6 weeks.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats! I'm glad you found a plan that works for you. I hope you reach your goals and feel better. My sister lost 70 lbs on a similar type of diet and has been able to successfully maintain her weight. I took a different approach (replaced certain foods with more healthy options, watch my portions & exercise more), and I'm down 63 lbs since the end of July. I feel much better, and I've decided that feeling good wins out over eating whatever I want, whenever I want. I'm slowly increasing my daily caloric intake as I get closer to my weight goal.

I'm cheering for 'ya! :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you ! What did your sister do?

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just mixed plain cream cheese with braunschweiger, spread on celery. Quite good!

wristwatchb likes this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My sister saw a doctor that specializes in weight loss. She helped her with her diet and also prescribed medication that apparently impacts her metabolism. She also joined a gym and works with a trainer. My sister has some medical issues that apparently slow her body's use of fuel. She traveled with my wife and me a few month ago, and I noticed then how she primarily focused on a high-protein diet.

I followed my sister's lead, saw my family doc, and he helped me get on a healthy eating and exercise plan. Thankfully, I don't have any underlying medical issues. He recommended an app called LoseIt!, and it helps me log my food and exercise. It also keeps track of my weight and keeps me focused on my weight loss goal. I'm not on a keto diet, but I have significantly shifted my diet toward more protein and less carbs.

I will be following your progress with great interest!

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I really won't know what I want to know until I get blood work done, and I have no idea how soon that'll be.

brit and wristwatchb like this.