The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

Well Mr. Headroom, both of your new blades are very nice looking. I've been pondering about a shavette but always wondered how my skin would handle it. You know, I think a straight shaving barber at the front of Stirling's new storefront would be great. They could also charge the person a rent fee and require that they use Stirling SS.

As for your coworker, I have never heard anyone not like Stirling Blu. I love it so much that I put a little on at bedtime sometimes as aroma therapy before falling asleep. Blu will always be in my rotation. Happy shaving all!

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thank you.

My skin is less irritated with an open blade. Without the safety mechanisms of whatever more modern razor you use, I think you'd cut yourself overdoing it. The Focus R21 is Max Headroom recommended because it has corner guards (there are others) to help avoid a corner gouge. 15-20 bucks.

I went straights before trying a shavette. I think a shavette first is do-able but a more difficult learning curve. A few guys in the 30DC have done it, if you can keep up with that thread.

I believe I read or heard somewhere that Rod is a straight razor user.

3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there is a Stirling Rep on the forum? I have a gazillion questions.

ezlovan, brit, Yehuda D and 7 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The owner Rod posts here when he has a chance. But fire away with your questions there may be some we can answer.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

ezlovan, brit, Yehuda D and 7 others like this.
  5. Shadow Shaver

You can also contact them directly via email on the Stirling website on the contact us hyperlink. Rod and Mandy are extremely helpful and responsive, some of the very best customer service you will ever experience in my humble opinion.

ezlovan, brit, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Can anyone say anything about:
    Tuscany
    Gatlinburg
    Stirling Gentleman
    Texas on Fire
    Most likely going to order at least a sample of the Deep Blue Sea

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Of those, Deep Blue Sea is my favorite. It is based on Blu de Channel and smells awesome. Gentleman is a favorite of my mine as well, but is probably more polarizing than Deep Blue Sea. It is a tobacco flower scent. I have Gatlinburg as well, but this is more of I have to be in the mood to wear it. It is like a damp forrest smell, and smells nice, but I can't wear it all the time. I haven't tried Tuscany in many years, but it was a pleasant enough scent when I did. I have never tried Texas on Fire, but it has been said on here that it is a strong camp fire scent.

8. Shadow Shaver

I just used Stirling Gentleman because many of the members of this forum have about it and I have an adult son that loves it. Great cologne aroma with less musk than Mountain Man. (Slightly sweet but in no way feminine. )

Deep Blue Sea is another excellent cologne scent that is very clean and fresh with subtle citrus. (Not like Stirling Blu! ) The sample sizes are large and provide several shaves. Samples of the aftershave and EDTs are available as well. Good luck!

9. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Here are a few specific questions. I know Bleu de Chanel relates to Deep Blue Sea, Creed Aventus relates to Executive Man, and Tom Ford's Oud Wood to Stirling Agar.
    Here are some unanswered pairings:
    • Dior Sauvage=
    • Chanel Allure=
    • Chanel Allure Sport=
    • TF Ombre Leather=
    • TF Tuscany Leather=
    • TF Costa Azzurra=
    • Armani Ambre Eccentrico=
    • Armani Bois D’Encens=
    • Armani Myrrhe Impériale=
    • Armani Vétiver Babylone=
    • Creed Bois de Portugal=

ezlovan, brit, john zeiger and 3 others like this.
  10. Shadow Shaver

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/pages/scent-descriptions

Here's a link to the scent description page for most of Stirling's offerings. It also tells you what time of year a particular scent is made available. I don't have all the descriptions memorized, so this page is a great place to start. To be honest with you though, I focus more on the soap's list of notes and ingredients. For instance Dunshire is Stirling's twist on Acqua di Gio. I actually prefer Dunshire and don't even try to pair it with the original version anymore. Hopefully this helps.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD March 16, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: PAL Injectomatic
    Brush: Ever Ready 100T restored badger
    Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

St. Patrick's Day shave. I won't shave tomorrow so I got this one in today. What a beautiful scent. I had a tinge of warmth today from the splash that I haven't noticed before. I know this scent bothers some people but I haven't noticed any problems before. Could've just been my shaving technique with the Injectomatic. Couple of weepers today. Regardless, wonderful lather and scent and a fine experience overall.

SOTD 3-16-19.jpg

ezlovan, john zeiger, brit and 7 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had Gatlinburg as part of a sample set. It had a pleasing scent. I was sort of middle of the road on it. I came away thinking "Maybe I'll include it again in a future sample set, for a 'second opinion'".

ezlovan, john zeiger, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You inspired me to use the Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo tomorrow. This way I get to enjoy that beautiful Sharp Dressed Man scent and freeze my face off at the same time!

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Excellent choice, Jeff!

15. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

This was one EPIC shave!

NTR, ezlovan, Shadow Shaver and 6 others like this.
  16. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I am far away from a straight shave, but I dig that video.

17. Paul Turner

Uh LADIES&GENTLEMEN:

In an act which can only be described as sheer clumsiness, I forgot the 4 remaining dates for the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards nominations. I re-wrote them, thus here we go officiallally
    May 1(my birthday)
    July 4 (Indy Day)
    September 2(Labor Day)
    November 28(Thanxgiving Day)
    Jan 1. 2020-THE BIG DANCE WINNER AND RUNNER-UP.

18. Gnomeo0228

Thank you man, I really appreciate that :)

19. Gnomeo0228

Can someone tell me WHY Glastonbury will be DQ'd? I'm a big fan of this scent :(

20. Paul Turner

I'm going to do another A.S. sample set. Details later when I put in the order.

ezlovan, brit, Shadow Shaver and 4 others like this.