Butler?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Chad Larsen, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Chad Larsen

Chad Larsen New Member

Found this at a local "antique" store...liked the look, so I bought it.
    Got to looking at the manufacturer, and I think maybe it is a knock-off of a George Butler?
    Does anyone know more than the google?
    Thanks in advance!

Butler 1.jpg Butler 2.jpg

2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Does that reverse side stamp say "found in Sheffield"?

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Chad Larsen

Chad Larsen New Member

Lol.....
    "Ground" in Sheffield

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Got it. That makes more sense!

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

According to "Tweedale's Directory", George Butler & Co. was a manufacturer of table knives, pocket knives, scissors and razors. It claims that the name "Butler" was counterfeited so much that they acquired the name "ART" in 1861 to distinguish their razors as original. They also manufactured the "Keen" razor in the late 1800s with the slogan " 'Keen as the razor's edge invisible' acid etched on the blade alongside the Bard's head." ( The Bard, of course, being Wm. Shakespeare. )

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Wither its a Genuine George Butler Family Razor or Not it Should Shave Just as Well..Genuine George Butler Razors are Nice Sheffield Razors But Like Wade & Butchers the Brand Name is Somewhat Overrated in My Books...I have Honed More of Em than I Can Remember...:eek:

Copy Cat Razors & Names/Brands and Industrial Espionage are Nothin New...Its Probably an Excellent Sheffield Steel Shaver..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

8. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Chad Larsen

Chad Larsen New Member

I appreciate the feedback!
    You are absolutely correct Billy....for a $17 antique store find, I am rather enjoying it.
    I sent a different blade out to gssixgun for honing...based on his advice, guidance, and videos...I've messed a bit with honing this Butler....and it does shave rather nicely!
    Really glad I found this board...good group of people!