Eating keto/low carb

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Mar 16, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Would like to start a thread to share observations, not so much just recipes (which are still welcome).

Today I had lunch at a local Chinese buffet. Pretty decent food when you get there at the right time but early on weekends is always better. I'd been hankering for their pepper sauteed cabbage, the one thing I always eat when I go. They didn't have it out because it's not in that high of demand (figures) but the owner insisted on making some for me. If it's no trouble, sure, I said. 10 minutes later he comes out with a large plate FULL of it freshly made and man, was it good. I'd already been eating so couldn't come close to finishing it all, so they let me box it up at no extra charge -- and if I ever come in and it's not out, just ask, they'll whip some up. Gave them an extra big tip for all that.

Anyway, sauteed cabbage, peppered or not, is excellent and probably good for ya.

What do you enjoy (not forced to eat, but enjoy) eating while on this kind of diet?

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Pizza! Fathead dough and no sugar added marinara. Toppings of your choosing.
    Another favorite is pork belly burnt ends with fauxtato salad ( substitute cauliflower florets for potatoes ).
    Corned beef and cabbage is another favorite.
    I've been eating low carb\keto since January 2017.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

We are having pizza tonight, made with fathead dough. We also enjoy a lot of chicken, especially with hot sauce. My wife also made a Keto cheesecake for my son's 17th birthday last week. The cheesecake is excellent.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, gorgo2 and jluc like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

After suggesting pizza earlier we had to make one too. Late lunch early dinner.

My wife has a sweet tooth right now so she's making a batch of keto candied pecans. They are really tasty so I have to be careful to watch my portion size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A quick and easy sweet tooth killer I do is a spoonful of PB mixed with some sugar-free syrup. Carb content is minimal and it's satisfying.

wristwatchb, lightcs1776 and jluc like this.
  6. lightcs1776

A different take on this idea are peanut butter balls dipped in unsweetened chocolate or chocolate sweetened with monk fruit. My wife uses no sugar, all natural peanut butter, dips them, and stores them in the freezer for a sweet treat.

wristwatchb, gorgo2 and jluc like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That sounds good but I've never heard of monk fruit until this second, will have to look it up.

wristwatchb, jluc and lightcs1776 like this.
  8. lightcs1776

It is a great alternative sweetener. We get ours from Amazon, but I think whole foods also carries it. I prefer it over Swerve.

gorgo2, wristwatchb and jluc like this.
  9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Been looking into Keto and Paleo pretty heavily for the past 6 months or so. The medical community recently started bad mouthing Keto due to increases in heart disease and recent studies that have found coconut oil to be really bad for you. I can see where they are coming from if you are not fully committed to the Keto diet. Drinking coffee with butter in it and eating tons of meat will cause serious issues down the road if you are also still eating a high carb and sugary junk food diet. Some of the top medical researchers have been saying for years that sugar is the number one cause of heart disease over fat.
    I've watched many of the recent documentaries about Keto and Paleo and what I was surprised about was how heavily vegetable based they are. I think a lot of people have the wrong impression of Keto and Paleo where they think it's all meat and fat with zero vegetables. The series The Paleo Way (available on Netflix) shows that the Paleo diet is primarily vegetables with a bit of meat thrown in.
    For the most part both Keto and Paleo focus on eating real food instead of processed to GMO foods. Only time will tell if these diets pan out for long term health.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

AKA the Standard American Diet.

BigMark83 likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Im sorry guys, i didn't read the previous texts.
    But, I've lost forty pounds in 2019. I weighed 285 at Christmas. I was determined to change my gaining trends.
    The beginning of the year seemed a good time to start. My wife and I also were talking about a fast to start the year, looking for direction from above. We began 1 1 19 on the daniel fast. I hesitate to even speak if it, and only do for readers benefit and edification.
    We started 30 days, eating only vegetables and water to drink. Going in with 2 exceptions. I allowed black coffee in the morning. Secondly a little(very little) rice, only long grain. Whole grain flat breads were allowed, but sparingly in the first 30 days.
    During this time, some of my issues seemed to take care of themselves, some remained clouded in mystery. Physically, i lost about 22 lbs.
    The end of January, found me slimmer, but still over what i wished to be. I decided to stay on a vegetarian based diet until i lost 65 lbs.
    Im now at 41 into this goal. I opened up to a bit fish (twice this year), and I'll now have unsweetened tea if we eat out.
    I've found many things i like in the vegan section of the grocery store. I've also found a few temptations i continue to struggle with (until i reach my goal). When i there, my like may have changed to permanently alter the way i eat. I now can see that a partially vegan lifestyle may way i go.
    Good luck to all who try to prepare now for the ravages that time causes.
    I have a daughter who does keto, she lost about 30, but does yo-yo quite a bit.

Keithmax, battle.munky, brit and 6 others like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Awesome, congratulations.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Late lunch: a couple sticks of celery smeared full o' braunschweiger, followed by a few more with PB. Quite filling. Had a handful of local strawberries with my coffee for breakfast, still in mid-purple according to the You Know What Stix.

Keithmax, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  14. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Rebel Creamery has been making Keto friendly ice cream.
    Full fat but very low carb ice cream.

It has a Kickstarter campaign...but it's available here locally in Publix.

Wondered if anyone has tried it....they were sold out when we tried to get some.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wow, the map shows this stuff all over my area. Gonna have to check it out.

JohnDB likes this.
  16. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Let me know if it tastes good.
    My wife is going crazy for some.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm not picky, which would she like a review of first?

18. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I have no idea...
    I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to try and get the stuff. Nevermind the high price.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I closed the tab but if I read it right, I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around 6 or so grams of carb PER PINT.

JohnDB likes this.
  20. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

All the fat and none of the carbs.

They use a blend of sweeteners to get the taste right and a type of guy that is keto friendly.

It's really high in price but it's supposed to taste good.

And you read it right... only 6 grams of carbs per pint.

gorgo2 and brit like this.