The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6D9EECD6-F7C3-41A2-9D57-E6A80BBFD751.jpeg E1D23DEF-5979-4853-8B1C-55A2F500E8B8.jpeg

Picked up a 7/8 C. V. Heljestrand MK140 from Japan. It’s going to be re-scaled in black horn to make a black-and-white pair with the one that I already have in ivory. Looking forward to seeing this set completed, these are nice razors though not as showy as the MK32/33 with the thumb notch and drip notch.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nice, I didn’t know the came in 7/8

Karl G, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful Heljestrand @Steve56, just beautiful. Love the idea of dressing this one in black horn.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The MK 140 I bought NOS is a 7/8, and the one that’s on the way looks the same width. The MK 32/33 varied in width apparently, from 13/16 to 7/8. The MK 33 that I have is a hair wider than 13/16 but not quite a full 7/8.

They’re hard to find in the wider sizes though, and if they’re the ivory-scaled, between-the-wars MK 32/33 in good shape, the prices are sky high. Part of the rarity may have been the markets, the pre-war ivory razors were export models for the US according to Arne (Polarbeard) who knows much more than I. And before WWII, the US population was in large part agrarian and frugal, so I imagine they didn’t sell loads of them.

5. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Stoped by one of my honey hole junk shop and the had these beauties waiting for me. A Robeson Shuredge “The Pilot” and a Red Imp #133. Both in very good condition. The Shuredge has funky striped scales, no warping. Same with the Imp and the blued tang is all there.

767C5225-9113-4CC9-BCA2-BC3ECCF17714.jpeg BF15EA9E-A2D8-4B1D-BBC7-0641136F9542.jpeg 38A19B4C-C6A2-4F59-B32D-88ECE945EB38.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am waiting for a 19th C Wostenholm 7/8 IXL near wedge. It has been rescaled and the blade refurbished. It has been honed on a Jnat and is shave ready. The post tracking states that I should have it today!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Keithmax, Timwcic, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  7. Trigger

20190320_150458.jpg 20190320_150458.jpg
    I just got my Wostenholm 7/8 near wedge square point. I purchased it from a private seller not on Ebay! This is a renovated, 19th Century razor. The seller rescaled, polished and honed it. He used a Jnat to hone it so that it is shave ready. He also offered to hone it for me when the razor needs it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Keithmax, Timwcic, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Wisconsin gave up a few goodies today.
    A Boker, an Ontario Cutlery, a Yankee Cutlery, and an unused Page Stropper. It was a good day
    [​IMG]
    I am almost embarrassed about how little I paid for these razors.

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

M14Shooter, AGHisBBS, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

whoa...

Trigger, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

D'ARCY'S Vulcan "7". $1.75.
    John D'Arcy C.
    St Louis.

Kind of a hair raising buy. I bought it on March 3rd, and he did not mail it out, until the 19th. No replies for tracking, nothing, until a couple of days ago. I guess it was worth the $10.50 + $5.00 shipping. It had a little minor rust, that came off, without a problem. It looks like it has very minimal wear, and it measures 15/16th inch.

P3210849.JPG

P3210850.JPG

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Not a Straight Razor, but some of you DORKO enthusiasts might enjoy seeing this. Cost was $8, and it looks unused. Any Idea how old it is???

P3210851.JPG

Keithmax, Timwcic, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  13. Trigger

I am not an expert, but I would say this would be any where between 1910 and 1930.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

Thought this was neat Scott... from Technical World Magazine (March 1913)
    upload_2019-3-22_16-42-14.png
    Just tell them your beard is hard, medium or soft; whether you want a wide, medium or narrow blade; and round or square point... they will select the razor just for you!!!
    Over 80,000 Vulcan Razors mailed out is the claim... so they aren't wasting your time.
    Also looks like you should try it for a month and then send it back. :)

I was able to get a 6/8 a little while back. Cool to see this different one. Love the 15/16 size.
    Congrats on the haul.
    Tom

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  16. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

After a long hiatus, I'm back with a new antique store find. Like usual, there was no time for research, the money was burning a hole in my pocket! But it was fairly cheap, I liked the scales and it looked in good shape. I just got done with my first attempt to shave with it. The results... I guess my attempts to hone it failed. Good news is there's nothing really wrong with it, but it still doesn't have a good edge. At least this gives me more opportunity to practice honing. And my after the fact research indicates this is a pretty common razor, but I can't pin down a date more specific than sometime in the 20th Century. Robeson.jpg

Keithmax, Timwcic, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

Robeson sold a razor brand called Terrier Cutlery and these scales were almost identical to those. Supposedly they only sold that brand from 1910-1916. My guess would be they used that design for the ShurEdge brand also.
    Beautiful razor and scales.
    Tom

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  18. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Tom - If it really is from the 1910's, that's older than I would have guesses, but I really had no idea. Since I've gotten into straight razors, it's rare that I find one in an antique shop that has any noteworthy design elements. Usually, they're as plain as can be, which I guess makes sense since most of these would have been "just a razor" back in their day unlike today where straights are generally seen as a luxury item and have extravagant designs to match. So it was a pleasant surprise to find an antique that did have an interesting design in the scales.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

Can’t be sure, but here is a pic of the scales for comparison. Again, beauty of a razor!
    2817D947-B842-47F3-81FF-A5F57B247297.jpeg
    Tom

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

cool looking razor..