Arko shave stick review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, Mar 15, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

My bowl doesn't have a rough bottom, so that technique wont work but great idea! I bowl lather all my soaps, so it won't do any harm face lathering arko, its great to master multiple techniques!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 5 others like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I remove wrapper on a stick and easily press it into a bowl. I like to lather on the soap. I get a fantastic lather and I do like the smell. I bought 12 sticks, so i'm sure I'll have enough for a while.;)

Keithmax, Leclec13, BigD and 4 others like this.
  3. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have tried Arko several times over the years. Good for others but not for me.

Primotenore, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Arko, one of the first soaps I bought and it does work well and is part of my soap rotation. You get a great lather with reasonable slickness but it is a thirsty soap so add water to keep it hydrated with the brush as needed. Even if it is a stick, I prefer it in a Underarm deodorant container and apply it that way to the face (less messy IMO). You can warm it up a little in the microwave for 15 seconds and it even gets softer than it's natural state and will fit almost any container. The scent is nothing great but it does not bother myself and use it on the road and at home. The stuff lasts a long time.
    Arko.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Keithmax, BigD, CarlfromMO and 5 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ed - the scent or drying post shave feel? Surely not for the ease of lathering.

BigD, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Scent mainly. You are right...it easily makes gobs of good, slick lather.

7. Tallships

The scent of Arko is similar Williams but not as strong. The scent of Arko while in a bowl disipates as time goes on.

BigD, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tallships

Arko is a thirsty soap, it likes water to get a good lather. As I soak my brush I pour water onto my bowl of Arko and let sit while I shower. then dump the water give brush a shake and start to swirl, adding water as needed, either by a few drops from the hand or a brush dip in sink filled of water, I continue to swirl and presto, lots of thick, rich, slick lather.
    After your shave, it rinses off easy too.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Blooming soaps is one method of introducing hydration. There are some folks who have issues with the term, but it's just one way to get the soap wet. I'm a Bloomer and do it most times since many of mine might sit and dry out before I use them again.

BamaT, Keithmax, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Çok güzel arkadaşım!

Gerçekten etkilendim! :)

bayercy and Frijolero like this.
  11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

So beautiful of a statement I am crying. Bloom, baby, bloom!

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

@wchnu
    You can all thank me later.

Frijolero and BigD like this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Don't lie, you want to bloom too. Get that Williams to a rich, creamy, cushiony lather with more slickness than hot snot on ice. It brings out the absolute best in a soap. Especially Arko and Williams. Want more cringe, I bowl lather for the perfect lather every time for every pass. :happy036:

14. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I of the school of thought where Arko does NOT, need blooming nor does Williams.
    I pressed a chunk into a bottom of bowl/mug, bowl/mug lathering is my favorite Arko method. I have decent pre shave ritual before soap/lather and my face and facial hair aepre well hydrated. I sometime add a drop of glycerin before lathering. What will really get your craw is making Uber lather. My first was Arko with poraso green ( tube).

Willams get lathered in the tin that it lives in

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    No way!!! Who??? :p

BigD and RyX like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Yes, you are! :happy096:

BigD and RyX like this.
  18. Tallships

To Bloom or not to Bloom that is the question (or until recently I called it a puck soak) .
    It is not weather it is right or wrong to Bloom but what is a personal style of lathering. Its a mater of what is the best method of lathering for that particular person. Each of us has found our own perfect way to shave. Is it wrong or right? Only the one in the mirror knows.
    I like blooming Arko but not Cella. Oh these senior moments make me crazy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    BamaT and RyX like this.
  19. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Y'all are about to witness a bricking. A bricking of history, a bricking where fuzzy may wear out his brick mold and have to get another one during the bricking. :mog:

Seriously though, I see no need to bloom a soap. I also don't bowl lather, and I do admit that if you bowl lather, it could make building a lather easier.

I face lather, so, I find if I get enough soap loaded on the tips of the brush, or directly on the face from a stick, that's enough for me .

brit, BigD, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  20. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Rumor has it that Fuzzy @wchnu did not delivery newspapers but bricks in his younger days.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.