New Soap from Cold River Soap Works

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jenky, Mar 8, 2019.

1. jenky

jenky New Member

Looks like CRSW is releasing a new soap today called Schapenmelk... from the website:

A traditional hard shaving soap thats pays homage to our Dutch heritage. Made with sheep milk and tallow plus lanolin and shea butter for aftershaveconditioning. Lightly perfumed with a pleasing scent.

This looks like a pretty darn good ingredient list for only $8.95 from a trusted soapmaker:

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sheep Milk, Shea Butter, Lanolin, Lecithin, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Fragrance

86202508cce388b9bde2b71a4734f358.jpg ddeaa3052799f40b23f09dc5f7670449.jpg

2. Sniper1

Sniper1 Member

Darn, sold out already. Late to the party!

oldcars likes this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Darn! I’ll just have to limp by with Santa Maria Novella, Martin de Candre, Antica Barbiera Colla, D. R. Harris creams, I Coloniali, Acqua di Parma, etc, poor me. Lol.

Cheers, Steve

<- /H

4. Sniper1

Sniper1 Member

How nice for your Steve. Some people may not want or in my case afford pricey soaps and creams.

Anyhow on this CRSW restock I was able to buy 2 pucks of Schapenmelk for $21 including shipping. That should get me through six months at least.

boingo, jenky, oldcars and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

they don'work much better..

oldcars and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

/H means ‘humor’ - sorry that you didn’t get it. /H

Plenty of soaps as good or better, the new Cyril Salter hard tallow soap, $8/puck, $7 on sale, Pre de Provence hard non-tallow, $9-12/puck, or just moosh a $4 stick or two of La Toja into a tub.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    brit, Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  7. oldcars

oldcars Member

It's obvious you haven't tried the new CRSW soap or you wouldn't be making such outlandish claims.

boingo, springwater, jenky and 2 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

cyril salter has hard tallow soap now? will check it out thank you..

Steve56 and Frijolero like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Connaught carries it.

Steve56 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir, will check it out..

Frijolero and Steve56 like this.
  11. Sniper1

Sniper1 Member

Thanks for the tips, for now I'm very happy with the new CRSW soap. I was laid off from my job with practically no warning about six months ago. I'm employed now but at nowhere near the wages I'm used to. In the past I bought more spendy soaps and have a nice small rotation to choose from but now have to tighten the belt a bit. Like everyone else I still like buying and trying new things so when the new CRSW soap came out it was firmly in my sights. It's a very good soap and I love the scent and at the price it's a bonafide bargain.

I will say that you do seem to hold some anti CRSW bias from reading through your replies in this thread. Can you honestly say why?

oldcars, boingo, springwater and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s hard to be biased against shaving soap, it just sort of sits there and doesn’t do much until you shave lol. I do have a gripe (two actually) with North American artisans in general, but CRSW and B&M are both better than average, more below. But first things first, if you want the best bang for the buck, look no further than Castle Forbes. You can get a 200g tub of 1449 from shaving.ie for ~$24 ex-VAT, and you can shave with 0.5g per shave, I use a salt spoon to scoop the cream out and bowl lather it. You can shave for over a year with $24 worth of CF if you don’t waste it. You can shave with CF for 8 cents/shave, about a penny more than Proraso which will take 1.5g/shave. And CF performance is top shelf.

The gripes that have in general with NA artisans is that they are not particularly cheap to use because they contain a lot of water and are therefore not as concentrated as harder soaps, and the scents are largely candle shop scents. However, neither CRSW or B&M use those terrible scents. Will at B&M is actually taking time off to study with a real perfumer, and I really hope that it turns out well. So I judge both to be better than average in the NA artisan pool! Both have sound bases and both have scents that don’t make me want to bin them before I even use them, and there are plenty of those. I wish them the best. As far as cost goes, you might check out this thread:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/cost-analysis-of-shaving-soap.61365/

I don’t use artisan soaps much anymore except MdC (11 cents/shave), but there’s another issue that I’ve experienced a little but others have commented on, and that’s over-fatted NA artisan soaps that leave you feeling waxed or greasy, and people have said their bathroom drains are stopping up. That thread is over on the Nook:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=45424&highlight=Drain

I have to add a couple of comments for my friends across the pond, you can get 150ml of Dior Eau Sauvage cream for ~$23-24, and every once in a while you can find it on sale. It’s excellent and Dior apparently does not allow it (or the equally excellent balm) to be imported to NA. I have to have friends send it to me or buy it when I travel. So let’s deal, you sent me Dior and I’ll send you CRSW!

If you’ve not been keeping up with the soap world, the new Salter hard tallow-first soap is what I hope is a resurgence of the classic British hard soaps to a better-lathering formula. BTW, D. R. Harris is reformulating to tallow first also, presumably to reduce the use of palm oil, and if you throw out one ingredient, the first 12 ingredients are the same and in the same order as Salter’s. Harris is quite a bit more expensive though, I can get Salter for $8 at Bullgoose, $7 on sale. I’ve also noted that most Truefitt and Hill hard soaps are missing from the US store, and I hope that means a reformulation to the better formula, I always liked T&H scents, but TBH, their hard soaps have performed poorly.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Shaver X, brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting comments, vis-a-vis CRSW & B&M. When I first got back into wet shaving, I purchased about 4-5 tins of the CRSW. I thought the base wasn't bad, but the stuff simply didn't agree with my nose...and after all, if it weren't for our noses, we'd all be happy with Arko. ;) So, off they went to the B/S/T threads and honestly, I never went back. Barrister & Mann and I have a "Love/hate" relationship. I really like the soap base but there are a couple of scents that make me scratch my head and ask: "what the heck was this guy thinking?" Roam...nope. Cologne Russe...nope. However, Leviathan...yup. Bay Rum...yup and Seville is also a winner. I never tried the limited editions. I stay away from those in general.
    But if CRSW is your thing, more power to you. It's just not mine.

Steve56, brit and Frijolero like this.
  14. jenky

jenky New Member

I’m a huge Haslinger tallow fanboy so I was of course interested in this soap. The CRSW Schapenmelk is so easy to lather. Slick, protective lather and the scent is fantastic. This is an excellent, excellent soap well worth the asking price.

oldcars, boingo, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. springwater

springwater New Member

My soap arrived to me here. Well what a beautiful perfumed soap. I have liked this soap very well. The shaving did go smoothly with lots of slick. After the shave my face feels soft and supple. I'm using old pot of Mitchells Wool Fat for to store the soap into. Was very easy making the foam on my brush. See, you can tell I like this one.

So I made other buys for different soaps to ship me in big box. I will tell of those soon. So many soaps for now I need more faces to shave lol.

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Huh! No one has offered to trade me Dior for CRSW. Lol.

Cheers, Steve

Frijolero, brit and Primotenore like this.
  17. boingo

boingo Member

Agree 100%. Stellar soap and a whopping great bargain! The matching bath soap is really nice. My wife stole my other bar.

18. oldcars

oldcars Member

Is the bath soap the same scent as the shave soap?

brit likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Curious about the opinions of this soap from our prolific-posting members? Anybody?

brit likes this.
  20. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

After using for a few weeks I’ll chime in.

This is the best bargain soap out there period.

Now I don’t figure my cost per shave as I really don’t care.

I just go by initial purchase price.

Scent is a hands down win for me.

Well balanced and one that I haven’t tired of.

Shave qualities are all I could ask for. No complaints in this department.

This is a huge win from CRSW.

Not surprising tho.

Keep up the great work I say.

Sniper1, oldcars and brit like this.