Arko shave stick review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, Mar 15, 2019.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I used a cake of Colgate Barbershop the other day that was dry as whatever just to show there is no NEED to bloom a soap.

I get that with no need to bloom anything. My antiblooming started as a response to people using modern Williams. It has expanded into other soaps. I improved my technique to take that step out. Then again I do not need butter cream lather either.

You do no Uber lather the Willaims....right?

You actually got a bit of sarcasm to shine through there...bravo!!!! :prrr::D

There is a right way and wrong way to do everything. Sometimes there is more then one right way and wrong way. Adding steps to a simple and straight forward process is often wrong. New people come in and think they have to go through all the big long steps to get great shaves. It is not necessary at all. There is no need for the long hot towel.. there is no need for the blooming..shimming,, blade flipping... and other silly things people do. It is like telling them to try different blades before they even learn to shave. Shaving is one of the simple straight forward things a man can still do. It is worth taking the time to learn how to keep it that way.

Keithmax, Zykris, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Gospel

BigD, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  3. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

never wanted to or needed to Uber lather “The Williams”

Hembree likes this.
  4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

That should be a horse and cart;)

Frijolero, BigD and Hembree like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

Gonna be some serious brickage going around.

BigD, RyX, madmedic and 1 other person like this.
  6. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I add half a teaspoon of hot water to my soaps, and shake off my brush and lather.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

7. matthewoli98

How long does it last you?

Ron R likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll agree on that. No one needs to bloom their soap. Some folks do it because they choose to. Got to allow for personal choice else everyone would be using the same set up. Vive la différence!
    Agree again on the Big Picture. Except for a few really cold winter days, all my shaves are with straight cool tap water. Hot towel soaks did nothing for me but increase my laundry load. I don't find enjoyment in vintage Gem type razors so shimming has rarely crossed my mind. I get why it might compensate for the difference on original versus modern SE blades but I got no dog in that fight. If someone wants to complicate their procedure, they ought to get their technique down first before trying experiments on fine tuning. Same with getting one or two of every blade available - better to read up, buy at least 5 blades that others enjoy and use them long enough to form an opinion. Some of this stuff takes a month of doing it the wrong way before it clicks and the New Shavers figures it out. I don't think anyone is deliberately misleading. Though they may be different, they aren't necessarily misguided.

Umm, another place where to each his own applies. Some practices may be doctrine for one guy, foolishness to another.

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I bought 3 sticks of Arko approx 2 1/2 years ago and have only used about 3/4 of 1 stick, I use it about 2 day duration's about every 20 days approx because of other soaps I also enjoy in my rotation (unless traveling it gets used more) . Another nice stick soap is the Razorock Blue barber stick, its a harder textured triple milled soap with good scent and protection and is nicer scent than Arko IMO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

Needed the laugh today, thanks for the clip.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Heyyyy. I saw that!

Hembree, brit and Frijolero like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Love reading your replys! ( not being snarky)

Hembree, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man. I thought that was the answer.

Hembree, Zykris, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Same here Fuzzy! I don't always agree with you, but I'll defend your right to express your opinion.

15. brit

brit in a box

there are followers and leaders in this life of ours..to those that follow ,enjoy your limitations, to those that lead their lives, enjoy your new experiences..and share them .and to all the ass kissers.. well..its just soap.. and should reformulate back to its glory days before resting on its laurels..

matthewoli98, Hembree, BigD and 2 others like this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I need eye bleach...

RyX, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Arko just plain works, plus I like the smell. What’s so bad bout Lemon Pledge? You can also grate it and then put it in a bowl and lather it like your other soaps.

BamaT, RyX, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  18. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I would imagine leaving it opened would kill the scent somewhat.

RyX, Frijolero, matthewoli98 and 2 others like this.
  19. matthewoli98

I Bloom soaps differently to most people. I add a teaspoon of warm water to the soap, soap the brush, shake off the excess water from the brush and after five minutes of "blooming" load up. Not the Normal kind of blooming but it does soften the surface of the soap.

20. matthewoli98

It definitely does, mine has been exposed to air at the top where i opened it for about a month now, and the scent is still there, but not nearly as strong as it originally was.

RyX, Frijolero and BigMark83 like this.