Do any shaving creams clog sinks?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by 7055, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I've been a plumber for forty years and I use all three Proraso soaps and all four creams. I do not find shaving product to e any worse on drains than toothpaste or any other "bathroom" products. Unless hot water is used frequently, most shaving products will eventually clog drains---do mine clog? No, but I do use a lot of hot water.

AGHisBBS and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. Jason Knight

Jason Knight New Member

It is common that the drain lines get clogged up with an accumulation of shaving foam, soap scum or other items like hair. Using home DIY's like vinegar-baking soda, chemical cleaners(use it carefully), tools like snake or augers are the best options if we have to deal with the clogged drains. If a homeowner is unsure about any of these methods or if you tried them and they didn't work, seeking help of a plumbing service north NJ is the good option. Either way, you are sure to get the job done!

3. 7055

7055 Active Member

Rather than use some chemicals to unclog the sink, I just bought about a 10 dollar replacement for the tubing that goes just under the sink drain at Home Depot and replaced it.

4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I don't know if creams clog the sink, but i noticed that my Proraso cream, leaves a white film all over my razor, despite rinsing it under tap water. The razor looks like it was used for 20 years. I have to clean the razor with microfiber cloth to bring the shine back.

At any case, the best thing to do, is prevention. Once every 7-15 days, just drop baking soda in your sink and pour boiling water over it. It works very well, it was reccommended by a plumber. The science behind it is this:

NaHCO3 (baking soda) + H2O ----> H2CO3 (mild acid) + NaOH (strong base)

What follows is:

H2CO3------> H2O + CO2

The result, is that you will have NaOH solution, which is very good in de-clogging, plus...bubbles (CO2). To put things in perspective, pure NaOH crystals are sold like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/87d/Mr-Muscolo-Mr-Muscle-Niagara-Granulare-Mister-Gr-250/B00E4KXKCW

The difference, is that Mr. Muscle is pure NaOH crystals (thus the final solution is much more concentrated) and costs some euros. Baking soda isn't as effective (the NaOH solution is less concentrated), but used regularly, prevents clogging and costs pennies.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    brit and GatorJoe like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

In the nearly 14 years I've been here, I've had to unclog my bathroom sink twice. Both times ti's been hair. Last time was probably4-5 years ago. I've only recently started using creams (Williams has been my soap of choice), but I have a greater problem with soap residue.

6. J. Greene

J. Greene Member

You might have the problem I had related to shaving. My bathroom sink drain was running really slow. I took out the drain stopper and low and behold were a bunch of shaving brush Hairs. They were almost stacked together restricting the flow.

johnnyflake and Frijolero like this.
  7. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

You need a better quality brush!

brit likes this.
  8. J. Greene

J. Greene Member

It is a cheap bore brush but it only seems to lose a hair here and there but they added up! Picked them out and cleaned up the gunk and it is flowing great now.

brit, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  9. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

A little lye down the drain every few months should keep everything moving fine. I wouldn't worry about any particular soap being worse than another.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hasn't happened to me....................................................................yet.

AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  11. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I read somewhere once that Creamo will clog up a sink, but not sure. Tried the stuff a couple of times, but didn't care for it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My wife has long hair. That clogs the sink much more definitely than anything I could possibly use. I unclog the sink and shower about every 3 months.

GatorJoe, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave cream clogged up my sink. It took years, though, and a little Drano fixed that in short order.

brit likes this.